Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU choice affecting ability to resume from sleep?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow PSU choice affecting ability to resume from sleep?

I have been trying to solve a problem (inability to resume from sleep) for many months now, replacing several components on the way (SSD, CPU systemboard and RAM) recently I discovered several posts on a variety of forums tying the issue to a power supply incompatibility issue. Low and behold, it was the same systemboard / PSU combo that I was using.

When it comes to PSU expertise community, I think of Johnnyguru, so I am posing the questions here.

What do you think of the likelihood of this being the root of the problem?

Is this a known problem? (searching here didn't find anything significant)

If it is a known problem that corsair has fixed, I could do a RMA, otherwise, I would unhappy but willing to purchase a replacement. I would want confidence the model I choose was w/o issue.

Hardware
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Systemboard
    4x4GB corsair vengeance ram
    Corsair Graphite 600T case
    Corsair HX750 PSU
    2x Sapphire radeon 6950 in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex 3 -240 SSD, Zalman (Sandforce SSD) 120 GB Intel SLC SSD (30GB)

No BIOS mod's or overclocking of any type (don't mess with that till my systems are 100% problem free)

The symptom is that the system goes into S3 sleep, after a few hours you try and wake it up, system appears to start, MB lights up, Fans spin, but you get no video. If you force the power off then back on, it will often continue, saying "resuming windows"

Edit: I should add I have tried the well known (Internal PLL Overvoltage option has been set to Disabled, even though latest BIOS fixes that issue, Relaxed RAM timings, Single DIMM etc.) I am not posting here for generic PC advice, I am looking advice on the PSU specific angle.
    Last edited by mervincm; 01-18-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add details

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One additional option I was thinking about was swapping the Corsair HX750 in my system for the Enermax modu80+ 625W in my sons system, but that would mean 2 systems get re-wired and I am not positive the Older Enermax would still be a good match for my P67 crossfire system, and the 750 is definitely overkill for his non-OC 920/x58/radeon5850 system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mervincm View Post
    The symptom is that the system goes into S3 sleep, after a few hours you try and wake it up, system appears to start, MB lights up, Fans spin, but you get no video. If you force the power off then back on, it will often continue, saying "resuming windows"

Edit: I should add I have tried the well known (Internal PLL Overvoltage option has been set to Disabled, even though latest BIOS fixes that issue, Relaxed RAM timings, Single DIMM etc.) I am not posting here for generic PC advice, I am looking advice on the PSU specific angle.
    Does this mean, while it tries to wake up, you turn off& on? No good :-)

For the problem itself, it is min-load related. I have no access to data right now, but there should be a BIOS option about S3 mode enabled/disabled. I dont know if the corsair has a low enough min-load. Before swapping the PSU's, check the BIOS option and do not turn off&on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree it is S3 sleep that is failing. And you are correct, if I disable S3 sleep via bios or OS, the problem is avoided.this is what I have done for months since buying this system. I happen to like S3 sleep and am looking to solve rather than avoid it. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Swapped the HX750 for an Enermax Modu-82 630W from my older X58 system. The problem is gone! I changed absolutely nothing else to get it working. Strangely S3 sleep works in the X58 system when I put the HX750 in there. Looks like it will support S3, just not in my ASUS P8P67-Deluxe System!

Unfortunately that bodes poorly for an RMA. Even if they would accept it (it obviously works, as it works in the x58 system) I suspect I would get one back with the exact same incompatibility problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

It's most likely an issue with the Motherboard & PSU, but not exclusive to either part. Inconsistencies like that can happen often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Perhaps a BIOS update is in order? Sorry if it was already done, I admit to not reading the whole thread carefully...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have tried virtually every version of the BIOS along the way hoping a fix would be included, not no luck so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In an attempt to get this system running on a larger power supply I just purchased a Corsair Tx850V2. Unfortunately the same problem exists. The older, smaller, lesser enermax works perfectly, yet the newer bigger/better consair designs just are not compatible. I even chose what that I thought would be from another OEM (seasonic) since the HX750 should be a CW (I think)
    I suppose I can just use the Enermax Modu82+ 625W but I am afraid it might be underpowered for my system (2X crossfire 6950 cards, 2600K OC to 43X turbo, 3x SSD)

Maybe I should try another maker, maybe a strider gold evolution 750?

www.memoryexpress.com is my fave vendor, and they have it for 135 Can$ today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you mining or running a similarly intensive distributed computing app?.. if not then don't worry about it, you're PSU is fine.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)