Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I could cry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

What's the problem, really? Is it hurting anybody? If not, then it's none of your business (nor mine, or anyone else's), how those guys spend their time and money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theoretically nothing, but given limited development dollars, would you rather them spent on function than fashion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mervincm View Post
    Theoretically nothing, but given limited development dollars, would you rather them spent on function than fashion?
    They aren't mutually exclusive. And things like cables and accessories may not sell in huge quantities but margins are stronger so it's still a good business and pays for itself.

I don't have to sacrifice build quality on PSUs to also sell sleeved cables, it's a relatively low amount of work to launch something like that, and it may take a couple hours of an engineer's time per week for a month or two, and if it makes money, it justifies that time.

It's not like we're going to ship PSUs where we forgot to check for voltage regulation because we were too busy looking at cable sleeving or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Phut. Who else hears the squeal? How high pitched is it? How old are you? I'm thinking that younger people can hear high pitched sounds we old farts cannot hear. I remember my guitar used to make a high pitched buzz. Years later I couldn't hear it but some guys in a music store told me they could.

You're old enough to have a son. Does he hear the squealing? You note that you made his rig squeal. Does he hear that?

Of course, if a psu squeals and you can hear it, it is not a psu you want to have.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Red 3TB backup disk | Seagate 1 TB SSD USB file drive
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the SilverStone Tech Strider Gold Evolution 850 arrived about lunchtime and I have just spent a while connecting up all the component parts I'll be using and removing the leads from the PSU I wont. I haven't cable managed/dressed yet, as I didn't want to spend an age farting around only to find the PSU wasn't the problem...cough.

So, the result: Firstly, let me say the Silverstone is a nightmare cable-wise; it both looks and feels like something my granddad would have been ashamed of building in his shed in the 1960's. The fittings are really cheap and nasty (rank bargain-bin stuff) + the 4pin section of the 24 pin cable refused to stay united and kept popping out until I taped it together. Are my standards too high?

I have a confession. This is only my second hand built PC... I'm really a Mac man...through and through. I only put PC's together for gaming (everything else I do, I do on Mac's).

Scrapes off the rotten tomatoes and stinky fish...

Anyway, I have an oddness to report. The new PSU has seriously reduced the squealing noise. Actually, no noise is emitted from the PSU box at all. However, the EVGA GTX570 card has now taken on the faintest of sirens calls.

Theory: The suppression caps built into the Silverstone PCIE leads seem to be doing a marvellous job at preventing ringing in the PSU and keeps it to source... The EVGA graphics card.

I suspect it is a design fault on the GFX card, or, more probably, poor quality components with poor regulation (doesn't say much for the folk at EVGA). The upshot is, despite the noise not having been eradicated, it is now virtually undetectable, unless I put the stethoscope right onto the EVGA GTX570 itself.

Anybody else any theories?

Actually, there's something seriously amiss with my theory...any one spotted it? I need to think about this a bit.

I'm still scratching my head over this little conundrum. How is it the retail suppliers', SCAN, tech support dept. also confirmed the PSU's I returned were squealing unless they, too, had the same rig components I do? My theory is/was/is that the GFX card caused the ringing (coil whining) in the Antec's. In any other situation the Antec would, I presume, have behaved differently i.e., no whining. Either the SCAN engineer didn't actually test the PSU's I returned or they coincidentally have an EVGA 570GTX on their test rig... Gah! This is doin' me 'ed in.
    Last edited by Phut; 01-20-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Observation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

The GTX 570 reference design (e.g. the PCB designed by nVidia for their partners to use) is notoriously bad with squeeling and failing quickly when overclocked by even small margins.

You may wish to contact EVGA support to see if they will issue an RMA for the card.

On the other hand, your standards are not "too high" but the standard 4pin peripheral connectors used by Silverstone are fairly standard for what you'll find on just about any PSU.
    The 4pin connector itself; if it's Molex brand or not, is just a "bad design." As the pins are not secured in place very well, and a prone to be out of place no matter what. Requiring you to fiddle around with them till they get into place.

As for the 24pin, an easy solution to that issue is to simply turn the cable around. Silverstone's modular PCB connector & board connector on the PCIe, ATX 8pin (4+4pin), & 24pin (20+4pin) connectors, are all the same. So you can plug the cables in on either side.

I have a Strider Plus 750w and I happen to swap the 24pin cable around, for easy-of-use when connecting and disconnection boards on my tech-bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you play games with vsync on? My GTX470 is squeaking a lot if it renders more than 60FPS. With vsync there's no noise at all.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yojo2 View Post
    Do you play games with vsync on? My GTX470 is squeaking a lot if it renders more than 60FPS. With vsync there's no noise at all.
    It, the EVGA, squeals on the Windows Experience Index thingy, let alone gaming (as did the Antec). Does the Windows Experience Test do a graphics card test with vsync on? I have no idea. I've not tried switching vsync on and off with games but I'll give that a go now to see if it has any bearing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My card squeals during WET, so most probably it does tests with vsync off.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Osoloco View Post
    I spent a lot of time researching this, and found this to be my reality:

1. Ditch the GTX's and go ATI
    2. Vertical sync = 1, which helps!
    3. Ignore it, and game-on!
    Ignore him too .
    Case: CM Elite 334.
    PSU: Corsair CX 430.
    Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M LE.
    Optical Drive: HP 1270i.
    CPU/HS: Intel Core i5-3570/CM Hyper 212 Plus.
    Ram: 2x4gB Corsair VS.
    HDD: 180gB Intel SSD 330 Series, WD Blue 500gB-320gB.
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.
    Monitor: Samsung BX2031.
    Mouse/Keyboard: Cheapo A4Tech/X7 G800.
    Mousepad: Razer Vespula ME3 edition.