Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I could cry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I could cry

I have just received my third Antec TruePower TP-750 PSU under RMA's since Xmas, and this, like the others, is squealing like a piglet whenever any load is required. I'm really at a loss as to where to go from here as I can tolerate one or two failures from new, but three?

All I need is a PSU which will power my 2500K CPU, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 motherboard, EVGA GTX570, 8Gb 1.35v RAM and 2 X Crucial SSD 0Raid combo without complaining. Factor I may add in a second GTX570 in SLi if they get cheap enough.

Everything I'd read about the TruePower suggested it would be ideal.

Could someone please suggest something that will likely work as re-cabling my rig three times has made me a little loopy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you referring to fan noise or coil whine?.. if it's coil whine you're accusing then it's hit and miss with pretty much all power supplies on the market, independent of OEM, if you're complaining about fan noise then there are many silent solutions out there from a variety of manufacturers.

Where are you buying from and what is your budget?
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's definitely coil whine and electro-mechanical, not fan noise. The Antec fan is PWM, so noise from that should be minimal anyway.

There are multiple frequencies the PSU emits when it is running even the simple Windows Experience Test. Again, when trying to run a game, frame-rate changes and environments trigger different high-pitched squeals.

I can't imagine why a reputable maker like Antec could supply three DOA PSU's in a row. I know the TruePower is not their most recent design, but I'm hardly asking much from it. Unfortunately, some of the better reviewed PSU's here at JonnyGURU are unavailable in the EU.

I'd prefer to stick to under £100.00 Sterling, $150.00 US, €120.00
    Last edited by Phut; 01-18-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: punctuation/budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Antec is not a manufacturer, they don't design their own PSUs, the TPNs are Seasonic made, and neither of these units are DOA, if they were you wouldn't be hearing any coil noise.. again, it's not a question of design and it's not a question of quality control either, good/bad coil wrapping, with or w/o heatshrink, varnish, laquor, etc... coil noise can be present independent of all that.
    Most of the PSUs reviewed here are available in the EU
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In this case "DOA" meant defunct on arrival (as unmerchantable goods).

Antec customer support e-mailed me to confirm (a) none of their PSU's should exhibit Coil Whine (and that the component spec I gave them for my rig was well within their design spec anyway). (b) That I should return it to the reseller under RMA as it was faulty.

The retailer, Scan.co.uk's, own Returns Manager, told me all the Antec PSU's will have this fault if those I've already had are anything to go by. Not very reassuring. Still, they are happy for me to keep cycling RMA's until I find one that works. Could wind up expensive for them. If I have to return several.

My choice would have been to have paid them for a more expensive unit, credit me the faulty unit upon its return, and they can seek redress through Antec. They say they wont refund me and let me buy a dearer unit unless I obtain proof from Antec that Antec would compensate them with a replacement PSU. Duh!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty funny really.. you can't do much about it, they're covered as long as they keep returning what you payed for.. they're just being dicks.. are you sure you're not getting the same PSU over and over again?.. the coil whine the first unit produced, is it similar/identical to what you got from the other two?

ps. it's not defunct either, since obviously it works.. try again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

okay... dysfunctional

I presume (with a degree of anxiety) that his statement "all Antec's of that model will behave in exactly the same way" is not accurate...

Please tell me this isn't so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phut View Post
    okay... dysfunctional

I presume (with a degree of anxiety) that his statement "all Antec's of that model will behave in exactly the same way" is not accurate...

Please tell me this isn't so.
    Actually it's not accurate, the chances of three different PSUs displaying the exact same coil whine at the exact same load levels are close to nonexistent.. or in other words, the chances of me getting stormed by a "White Queen" dressed Anne Hathaway which immediately starts doing a salt portrait of Jim Morrison on the floor, only with cocaine, while somewhere in the background Nigel Kennedy suddenly appears and starts playing Riders on the Storm, are more or less them same..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

are you sure you're not getting the same PSU over and over again?..
    sounds like it to me. (you would have had to note the SN before you returned)

Actions like that make my head explode.

There are certain red fruit companies that have pulled this kind of BS on me in the past. It is sad, but they have conditioned me to make sure the item is really and truly beyond repair (while still under warranty) (if you know what I mean) before I line up the RMA.

Otherwise they just send it back and say "works for us".

Makes me spitting mad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made a note of the serial numbers, which differ. So, unless they swap them around I guess they are different product; but a shoddy batch?

It's shooting themselves in the foot to refuse me an upgrade and a refund. They get their money or replacement product from Antec and the profit differential they make on the new sale. I don't know how their Returns manager ended up in his position of responsibility. If it's Company Policy, it's warped.

The reply I got from Antec was:

Trouble Ticket ID: ******
    Description: Squealing noise on PSU load (Gaming/encoding)

-------------------------------------------------------

Please be advised that the status on your trouble ticket
    has been changed from Submitted to In Progress
    with the following comment:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Comment: Dear *******,

Thank you for contacting Antec Customer Support. The noise you describe can be caused by something described as coil whine, and the PSU should be replaced. The total power output is perfectly fine for your system and stands in no connection to the noise you experience.

Please return the product back to your reseller for replacement.

To enhance our warranty service Antec has made an arrangement with our valued distributor ENTA Technology that will allow us to get you a replacement within the UK. ENTA can only deal with resellers, however, so you will need to have your reseller contact them on your behalf."

So, I don't see what the reseller, SCAN, has to worry about. They're not losing out until, that is, they start footing the bill for carriage and administration over and over if I keep RMAing faulty PSU's...