Thread: SS X-1050 & Aurum CM 650 @ ChipHell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SS X-1050 & Aurum CM 650 @ ChipHell

SeaSonic X-1050 review.
    FSP Aurum CM 650 review.

Checked the X-1050 review first, the results were as expected(excellent under overload conditions) then checked the Aurum review, the results were a lot better than expected, so I opened pretty much all PSU reviews they did and proceeded in reading them all, a lecture that left me a little bit puzzled.. most of their units get consistently better results than those displayed by samples reviewed here, at [H], TPU, etc.. I checked their methodology and things look fairly standard, I'm reluctant to yell Foul play! because they have an excellent reputation and they generally do excellent reviews(VGAs and such).. so I'm inclined to think they get cherry-picked samples from manufacturers..

So, what's going on?
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO Aurum's results are not excellent at all, 12V dropped quite a bit going from 90 to 100%, ripple made a decent jump as well, looks like this unit is taxed to the limit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're not excellent results by any means.. still, look at the minor rails, <2% for the 5v and 0.3% for the 3.3v(!).. maybe I'm paranoid but the exact same thing happened with the Platimax 1200.

ps. loved the dissection they did on the X1050 in comparison with the XP1000, hard to pay the premium for the Platinum unit after reading it
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The only thing that is striking about their Aurum results is the 3.3v rail Vreg.

Though, it usually seems their ripple results are spot on (when compared to the rest) as well as their build dissections.

Travis may know something we don't; but all I've heard from some of the chinese PSU enthusiasts on OCN is that Chipphell, and a few other sites are not on their "trusted" list. Since their results are always off from what the credible US, Canadian, British, & (now) Greek reviewers get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thinking about it.. most likely they're testing at low ambient temps(around 20 Celsius) otherwise those efficiency numbers wouldn't make sense either.. can't find info on the temps(Travis!?).

In regards to their credibility, they're probably the most reputable Asian site and their community is very large with manufacturers and such on the forums... I wouldn't doubt their integrity, but as you said, Travis should know better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's with X-1050's ripple going down on +5V till ~45% load and then suddenly going up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Switch between PWM/FM mode?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, I see. Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post
    What's with X-1050's ripple going down on +5V till ~45% load and then suddenly going up?
    This behavior is probably due to "Beat Frequency" effect between PFC stage and PWM stage, or PWM and VRM stage.

I think the reviewer guryhwa might be the most knowledgeable about SMPS technology among reviewers since he himself is a pro, but as a whole the Chiphell site is NOT CREDIBLE.

In regards to their credibility, they're probably the most reputable Asian site and their community is very large with manufacturers and such on the forums...
    LOL on this... There are some cool persons in their community, but the reputation of the site is way worse than you think. The management just PRETENDS that the site is the most reputable.

As for their PSU reviews, I've been surprised by their results for several times, so take them with a grain of salts. It's possible that the numbers or test conditions are modified to prevent some unit from falling into "throw'em away" category. If I have the models in doubt, I'll check if the Vreg numbers are true.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for clarifying that Travis, shows how much I know.. I think my preconcieved ideas got the best of me, I tend to positively discriminate most Asians for some reason

Anyway, I was really enjoying the reviews despite the horrid translations..