Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recommendations on PSU

Greetings everyone,

I'm looking for some Rock Solid PSU for my new Build and after reading few reviews I'm kind of leaning towards Seasonic's Platinum 1000W Unit.

Wondering if it's the right choice over XFX Pro Series 1000W Black Edition or Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W because almost all these units secure good points in the reviews (apart from marketing gimmicks that were nailed effectively ) and earned damn-good, go-buy remarks.

So what does Guru have to says on this?

Hardware: M4E-Z, 2600K (OC'd), 16Gigs of Memory, Gpu: Fancy 7950 (Just to give an idea what I'd be using), 60Gig SSD & Some 6TB of Green-Storage, about 6 140MM Fans, a Corsair H100, Some bling bling here and there and that's about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A single 7950?.. if so, you should be looking for 500W units

What SSD?.. also change the cooler.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rosewill Capstone 550W is all you really need. Or Seasonic X-650/660 / Corsair AX650 / NZXT Hale90 650W / Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OCZ Vertex 3 is what I have atm, I'll be getting two more in bigger volume may be from different brand if it didn't go well as some more Mass-Storage (Green though). 7950 or probably 7970 depends on whatever comes first with non-ref designs so a little overhead in power availability is always good and should be welcomed what say you?

I haven't bought cooler yet. I really liked the Zalman's CNPS12X but last I checked it had some height issues with Mushkin's RidgeBack anyways from what I've seen so far the Obsidian 800D somehow likes the cousin H100 more instead of others. Btw why do you think I should not buy this knowing the case I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yojo2 View Post
    Rosewill Capstone 550W is all you really need. Or Seasonic X-650/660 / Corsair AX650 / NZXT Hale90 650W / Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W.
    Initially I placed order for AX850 but the retailer ran out of stock and then I read this Platinum-shalatinum it was all over the sites... They do perform great in both efficiency and voltage regulation aspects so don't you think I should be getting one of these instead of Gold Certs unless it's Revo 87+ which sure is exceptional but the MSRP is not loveable. I'm not sure if i'll be sticking to single 7970/50 because you never know whats coming for ya so tis good to be on safe side. Still thanks for the mention i'll check them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus_G4 View Post
    7950 or probably 7970 depends on whatever comes first with non-ref designs so a little overhead in power availability is always good and should be welcomed what say you?
    A solid 500W PSU already provides all the overhead you'll need with a single 7970 config.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus_G4 View Post
    Btw why do you think I should not buy this knowing the case I have.
    Because there are better coolers to be had for less money.. where are you buying from?(link the shop/s)
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazon or Newegg wharever saves a buck or so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want a proper AIO water cooler this is what you need to look for.

In regard to good air coolers, newegg offers ample choice, Noctua D14, Phanteks TC14, Prolimatech Genesis/Megahalems and more..
    I'm not sure if i'll be sticking to single 7970/50 because you never know whats coming for ya so tis good to be on safe side.
    Then look for something around ~800W, Kingwin Lazer Gold/Platinum, Seasonic X/Platinum, Antec HCP, NZXT Hale90 etc.. all excellent units

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey mate thanks for taking time out to look for stuff. Actually the reason I chose H100 was it being pre-filled closed-loop unit that eliminates the need of maintenance and are fool proof when it comes to installation, I know Custom W.C is way to go and sure they are superior in performance too but at quite a cost even this Swiftech Unit cost above Usd $239 almost double the price of H100 and even expensive than another Aio Kit called RASA.. Not to mention the maintenance cost that comes with Cust. W.C anyways did you see the way 800D is designed? I mean the air flow is quite limited (not that it's really bad or flawed something well it's just the way they designed it probably for their own W.C Units?) I'm not sure if any A.C would perform like its suppose to or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Swiftech linked above is a proper WC solution, even though expensive, it's more than capable of handling an additional VGA water block added to the loop(for example)

I know the XSPC RASA Kit and it's a very good solution too, a lot better than the H100 or other Asetek/Coolit built AIOs.

The 800D is designed to hold massive custom loops, not the cheap AIOs, and it offers excellent airflow provided you use it properly(can hold seven 120/140mm fans).