Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: PC Dillema (extremely strange happenings) / New Build Required? [Help]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right well i guess I've found my first true stable mild oc on stock cooling.

Temps do not go over 81c no matter what it seems (after 2hrs of p95 using 7gb of my ram - I left 1 for windows). Mind you it's a nice cool and airy day here today and I have had the window open so ambient is lower than usual but it's still okay i think, that's like 20c from tj max. And it's not like any everyday app or game will ever put a load equivalent to p95 on the system so.

Seems it was indeed the x41 that was causing the trouble after 45mins or so of p95.

Stable currently at vcore 1.1750 x40 dram v 1.6 (I might try lowering that) running at ddr3 1866mhz with 10-10-10-27-1T. Just went over the 2hr mark on p95 not a single error and it's still going strong. Max temp 81c.

I'm really skeptical about mucking with the timings though. It's a real pain in the ass and this is really very time consuming to keep resetting CMOS running p95 only to find errors etc and having to revert the timings. All for what? A potential 1 or 2% difference in mem speeds which isn't even noticeable in rl? I dunno, I think 1866 is the way to go no? Versus 1600 9-9-9-24-2t ?

And in terms of the CPU I think I'm stuck at 4ghz until I can get better cooling huh?

What do you guys think?

Ps still not taken a look at bclk or wtvr it it's called as honestly I'm not even sure what it is or if it's needed or able to make performance diff on such a mild oc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would not mess with the ram any farther unless you are a benchmark junky to be honest. In the real world it is rather unlikely you would ever "feel" the difference.

As for a better OC, yes you will need better cooling. The cooler Sin linked will do a nice job for an easy price.

So, how does the new system "Feel" in comparison to your old Q6600?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@diriel Yeah mem/cpu I'm gonna leave it alone for now until I get better cooling. Although in that same swoop. Likely though getting a SSD or simply a new high quality regular SATA drive or two is what I need first and will give me a much better and needed improvement in performance compared to simply OC'n the CPU anymore. Of course to do that I'll need a new case also as the case I'm currently using is so shitty it can only really fit two drives (pathetic). So I'll probably put the 50 or wtvr euros I would invest in a cooler towards hard drives / case and all that before a cooler at this point. Any recommendations on a decent not too expensive case / regular SATA drive or even SSD? I recall someone in this thread mentioning now was not a good time to buy SSD's or HDD's? How long should I look at waiting (if one of these drives doesn't' die before that point of course) :P

Re: In terms of how it feels compared to the old q6600 honestly I've not even really had a chance to use it yet or install all my apps etc. (if I even have the hard drive space! win7 takes so much hard drive space it's unreal lol). I've only really got win 7 64 enterprise and all the drivers and what not installed. I'll let you know though as soon as I have a chance to install some apps and use it some more though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was me and I was referring to HDDs, the prices have skyrocketed after the floods in Thailand last year, and even though the production ramped up again the demand is so high that instead of seeing some lower prices we're seeing manufacturer warranties being slashed in half or worst.. needless to say, WD and Seagate are having a ball..

Look for used/clearance HDDs for the time being(if you must buy new ones).. also look for external HDDs that can be opened and used as internal ones.

What's your budget for the case?
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    It was me and I was referring to HDDs, the prices have skyrocketed after the floods in Thailand last year, and even though the production ramped up again the demand is so high that instead of seeing some lower prices we're seeing manufacturer warranties being slashed in half or worst.. needless to say, WD and Seagate are having a ball..

Look for used/clearance HDDs for the time being(if you must buy new ones).. also look for external HDDs that can be opened and used as internal ones.

What's your budget for the case?
    Don't you mean Taiwan?

Anyways I managed to reclaim some space on my tiny C: drive by cutting down the page file and moving it to the other drive and disabling it on C (the way i figure it i shouldn't really need a large pagefile with 8gb of RAM so i dropped it to just under 2gb windows had it set to 8gb pfft :P) and I also disabled the windows hibernate feature which reclaimed about 7GB of space which it was using for the hibernate file). So my C: drive at least has a little over head now until I can afford a new drive and get around to a reinstall of windows 7.

In terms of case well, I need something ideally as cheap as possible (i'd rather put my cash towards a better HDD, SDD, GPU, (and CPU cooler eventually), buy a second screen etc. I just need to make sure it has enough space to fit new gpu cards and enough hard drives etc. and has good airflow (I've been leaving my cases open for going on 5+ years now because I've always felt airflow wasn't adequate when closed and temps were not to my liking). I don't really care about looks either, I rather whatevers functional, if it looks slick then all the better but it's not a requirement. Also space wise, for example the current old temp case I'm using I could barely even fit the 8800GT in because it touched the back of the hard drive, so I had to move the hard drive up a slot so there is almost no room between the two drives in there currently (bad for cooling), so I'd obviously like to eliminate such problems in a new case and have enough room to maneuver and place the parts, and of course the new GPU i get eventually will surely be even larger than the 8800GT so.

ATX Cases from where i ordered my other parts @ http://www.materiel.net/boitier-pc/

I take it micro atx cases are out the question (i don't think they'd be good for all teh hard drives etc. i might like to add over time).

Although be sure I'm not opposed to buying a model from somewhere else so don't feel obliged to only choose from that materiel.net place if they don't carry it and you know of a make/model that is good price/feature wise compared to other brands, I can order it online from another store who does carry a particular make/model if it's better suited to what I need and is cheap. The case is not as urgent as the cpu/mb/ram/psu were so I can afford to wait a little on shipping etc. and get the best price/performance/feature for what I need.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheap and good, that's a hilarious request

Had a look at the link you left, a lot of good cases on offer, not a lot of cheap and good cases though..
    ZALMAN Z9 PLUS @ 55€, pretty much the cheapest case worth buying(along with the Bitfenix Shinobi w/window).
    BITFENIX RAIDER @ 84€, higher end offering, well priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdob View Post
    Don't you mean Taiwan?
    No.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Cooler Master 912, but you may want to add fans, the Cooler Master 690 II lite, worthy of looking over and even more suited to work in. Not the latest.

Probably the Zalman or the BitFenix make the most sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as SSD's go, I would wait till about mid year to buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NZXT Source 210 (one fan included) or Source 210 Elite (two fans and USB3 front plugs) check price, or BitFenix Shinobi.
    Source 210 can run 7 fans, can you use any from old case? Yate Loon are usually the lowest cost good quality fans here. YL fans are sleeve bearing fans, available in Low, Medium, and High speed. About 1000, 1600, 2000 rpm depending.
    Arctic Cooling does some low cost low speed fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys sorry I haven't checked in so long. Just wanted to give you an update and let you know so far the system is working great still running at the same specs I last posted solid and stable. It's winter though so I suppose that doesn't count right?

I'm still looking towards the further upgrades though and the HDD's and Case are definitely still the next step on the list.

How are you guys all doing? Still maxxin the hardware? I still can't get over how much help you guys have been (especially Original Sin, definitely NO regrets on his advice). He really knows his hardware!

In terms of HDD's though, when do you guys think would be a good time to make the step? Have the flood prices subsided yet?

PS - i hope I helped out Jonny a little on his SEO and brought some traffic to these awesome forums! Much respect!