Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Help] Weird Problem with Gtx 560 ti!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default [Help] Weird Problem with Gtx 560 ti!!

Guys! I am encountering a very confusing problem.
    My System specs are :

Intel core i5 2400 @ 3.1Ghz
    Intel DH67CL Mobo
    Sparkle gtx 560 ti
    PSU : Asus p-55ga (550W)
    1 Hdd, 1 Optical, 6 Case fans.

The problem is my gtx 560ti is acting weird on me. I am experiencing very very frequent BSOD on cold boot, cpu/gpu stress tests like furmark/msi kombuster and games. The GPU wont start up on cold boot (No signal to screen).

But, this same GPU when tested on my friends rig whose pc specs are :
    core i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz
    Asrock extreme gen4
    PSU : Xigmatek NRP-MC 702 (700W)
    Plus many fans, optical and hdds

It runs super fine. Like even when OC @ 1Ghz!!
    Which made me think that My PSU is the culprit. To be sure, I tested my friend's Gigabyte windforce gtx 560ti SOC (950/2290) and it worked like charm. I mean, i ran stress tests for 2/3 mins and there was no crash/BSOD of any kind.

One more thing I Noticed is that My sparkle Gtx 560ti has voltage set to 1012mV where as the highly OC gigabyte version has 950mV.
    I tried to de-clock my card. Lowered the voltage, core frequency and memory clock. The Card worked then!

I am now totally confused. Does the reference Sparkle gtx 560ti eats more watts then gigabyte 560ti SOC? Or my PSU is playing on me?

* Plus my psu is like more then 2 years old nw. Could it be the cause? but then why the gigabyte gpu worked?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds more like a driver/ MB problem.

The Intel® Desktop Board DH67CL also supports Intel® HD Graphics with the LucidLogix Virtu* GPU virtualization software, which combines best-in-class media processing features of the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors with the 3D gaming performance of graphics add-in cards.
    I don't know anything about your BIOS, but when you have virtualization switching and an extra chip...then you start to multiply the chances of frequency conflict possibilities.

Like I said, I don't have any experience with this MB, but I would start with BIOS update, then progress to disabling the Lucid features to see if it solves your GPU problems.

Not likely to be a PSU problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mdk777.. Virtu needs to be forced-lish enabled. If he didn't said anything about it, then there's a good chance he doesn't even suspect it's presence. In which case, it'll have no effect :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, just guessing...but when it works fine on one rig and not another...
    and

The GPU wont start up on cold boot (No signal to screen).
    I wonder if he has the PCIE Card set as Primary, or not.

Also, OC tends to be more complex when you start to have multiple hand-offs...CPUGPU....controller chip...GPU.... OC VID memory frequency
    ....Heck that it can work at all is nothing short of a miracle.

I don't have experience with the rig; I always go completely discrete GPU.

However, I'm willing to bet that it is a driver /BIOS conflict/.

Heck my 560-TI started artifacting with a CUDA program it didn't like.
    Nothing was wrong with the card or rig. Just that particular piece of programming set it off the deep end.

Anyway, OP, let us know what you find..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried all things! like setting BIOS video setting to "Enable if Primary" to PCI-E chip and manually forcing the onboard chipset to disable, but it also didn't worked.

One more thing guys! when that "Enable if primary" is set on! and every thing is on auto! When gpu is unable to display at cold boot, the output to my next screen comes through the onboard chipset (ive dual led setup *one connected to onboard graphics and other to GPU for troubleshooting).

Plus if it had been the bios/MB issue, then why Gigabyte 560ti worked? that too like twice! (tested!)?

And i noticed that on boot, if checked through bios, the 12V voltage is like 11.88V. When checked through speed fan, it drops to 11.53 on heavy stress tests like furmark etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BIOS and software readings are not exactly reliable, for multiple reasons. Actual DMM checking is your best bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But why gigabyte 560ti worked on it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post
    mdk777.. Virtu needs to be forced-lish enabled. If he didn't said anything about it, then there's a good chance he doesn't even suspect it's presence. In which case, it'll have no effect :P
    Yup! no virtu lucida software installed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, worth a try.
    But
    When gpu is unable to display at cold boot, the output to my next screen comes through the onboard chipset (ive dual led setup *one connected to onboard graphics and other to GPU for troubleshooting).
    still concerns me.

Try using only the GPU and see what happens.

Could be of course that your card has VRM issues; that a more robust PSU source compensates for, and which are not seen with your PSU on the other card.

Could be a catch 22 situation, neither your card or PSU are technically deficient(RMA worthy) but don't work with each other.

At this point, I would say a new PSU would be cheaper than a new graphics card. (of course in the future you could go easy on the card OC and obsessive Furmark testing and the VRM on the card will last longer. )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    OK, worth a try.
    But

still concerns me.

Try using only the GPU and see what happens.

Could be of course that your card has VRM issues; that a more robust PSU source compensates for, and which are not seen with your PSU on the other card.

Could be a catch 22 situation, neither your card or PSU are technically deficient(RMA worthy) but don't work with each other.

At this point, I would say a new PSU would be cheaper than a new graphics card. (of course in the future you could go easy on the card OC and obsessive Furmark testing and the VRM on the card will last longer. )

Tried setting it on GPU only. Didn't worked either. The only thing that is keeping me from RMA my GPU is that it worked on my friend's PC! So I have decided to get a new PSU instead.
    Any Suggestions? Oh and I forgot to mention that I am from Pk. Which means I have only access to some models of Cooler Master, Antec, Corsair, Xigmatek, ThermalTake and few FSP.