Thread: Good Quality but Cheap PSU for an HTPC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good Quality but Cheap PSU for an HTPC?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but been a regular on the jonnyguru site. Thank you for having me!

I am building an HTPC (mATX) - a glorified media player - this is not going to be a gaming rig or a server of any kind, it is just to play movies from discs (DVD & Blu-ray) my digital collection of ripped DVD's and Bluray's, streaming (Netflix/Hulu/Amazon VOD etc) and to view home videos, and pictures, also listening to music! That is all I want out of this system and also to sit pretty in my media console!

I need some help picking a CHEAP but GOOD QUALITY PSU for this build - please help! 80 Plus certification and modular ( if we can get it in low wattage) would be great. Could you folks also guide me on how many watts I should be looking at - no discrete GPU, no TV tuner - none of that now - but would like the option to add one in the future if needed?

Here are the parts I've picked so far, some of it I'm reusing from another build I did recently (like the 8GB ram comes from a 16 GB kit in another gaming rig):

HDD 3TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM SATA III - 3 TB - already owned!
    Case nMediaPC 6000B + LCD Module
    PSU Corsair AX 430W ATX

MB ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75
    APU AMD A4-3500 Llano 2.7 GHz (Dual Core)
    RAM Corsair Vengance 8 GB - already owned
    ODD Samsung 12X BD ROM & DVD Writer - already owned
    OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400
    IR Reciever Genuine Dell RC6 IR Receiver

The parts highlighted in RED are the ones I haven't decided on yet - especially the PSU - could someone suggest a few (links would be great)!

How is this Corsair one I have shown here - picked it because, after promo, rebate and instant savings - it would cost $21 @ Newegg - that's it! Also it is 80 Plus and Corsair!

Oh BTW - the promo ends today - so any prompt responses would be hugely appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm open to case suggestions as well (with or without a PSU included) - considering this Antec - is it worth that price even with the PSU?

The nMediaPC is only $69.99 on Newegg!
    All Purpose Rig: CPU: i5 - 2500K - 3.3 GHz; Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V;SSD: Crucial -M4 64GB SATA III; RAM: Corsair Vengenace 16 GB; HDD: Spinpoint F3 1 TB; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870-ZHBC; Case: NZXT Phantom Black; Power Supply: Seasonic X Series 650 W Gold ATX; CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+; ODD: LG Blu Ray Writer - WH12LS30; Card Reader: SABRENT 7; Monitor: Hanns-G 28'' LCD; Mouse: Logitech Wireless Performance MX; Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Illuminated - K800; Webcam: Logitech HD Pro C910

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also it is 80 Plus and Corsair!
    This means nothing.. it could be 90 Plus and Corsair! and still be a shit unit.

Price wise the CX is impossible to beat @ 21$ and is more than plenty for your rig.
    Consumption wise you're looking @ <100W.

Also, get the A8 38xx, you want that IGP for a media player without a discrete graphics card

ps. welcome to the forum.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This means nothing.. it could be 90 Plus and Corsair! and still be a shit unit.
    - point taken but for the price this is definitely a plus, right. I couldn't find anything that is even remotely close! So are you suggesting this would be the best, any case recommendations you have?

Also, get the A8 38xx, you want that IGP for a media player without a discrete graphics card
    - Really? I thought the Dual Core A4 was plenty powerful for my needs. I had considered the A6 - 3650 (quad core) for $109.99 but considering that I would not do any CPU intensive activities on this system - I honestly thought even that was overkill! Also TDP and power draw was another concern this is 65W as compared to the 100W for the A6 and the A8!
    ps. welcome to the forum.
    - Thank You!
    Last edited by aoommen; 10-18-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    All Purpose Rig: CPU: i5 - 2500K - 3.3 GHz; Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V;SSD: Crucial -M4 64GB SATA III; RAM: Corsair Vengenace 16 GB; HDD: Spinpoint F3 1 TB; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870-ZHBC; Case: NZXT Phantom Black; Power Supply: Seasonic X Series 650 W Gold ATX; CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+; ODD: LG Blu Ray Writer - WH12LS30; Card Reader: SABRENT 7; Monitor: Hanns-G 28'' LCD; Mouse: Logitech Wireless Performance MX; Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Illuminated - K800; Webcam: Logitech HD Pro C910

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aoommen View Post
    - Really? I believe the Dual Core A4 was plenty powerful for my needs. I had considered the A6 - 3650 (quad core) for $109.99 but considering that I would not do any CPU intensive activities on this system - I honestly thought even that was overkill!
    The x86 side of things is perfectly ok but there are consistent differences between the IGP of the A8, A6 and A4, the price difference isn't massive and you get a much more competent IGP. Get the cheapest A8 you can find.

Regarding the PSU, the best at what?.. a 21$ PSU is obviously not the best at anything.. but in this case is an excellent deal.

Check the Antec NSK 1380 and NSK 3480 for cases with integrated power supplies.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply! Appreciate it!

Regarding the PSU, the best at what?.. a 21$ PSU is obviously not the best at anything.. but in this case is an excellent deal.
    - Okay if I'm willing to spend a little ($60); more based on the power consumption requirements and specific to my build - do you have other recommendations? Apologize for not being clear in the last post?

Both those cases would not work for me as I am planning to stack the HTPC under the Yamaha Receiver

So the cube and the tower won't work for my needs, need a desktop case!

Lets assume the case and the CPU would be the same as in my OP - what would be the most appropriate PSU I can get (preferably 80 plus certified and modular) for around $60!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There really aren't any excellent, low output, high efficiency units on sale in NA.. I'd go for this if money is no object, otherwise stick to the CX 430.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    There really aren't any excellent, low output, high efficiency units on sale in NA.. I'd go for this if money is no object, otherwise stick to the CX 430.
    Thank you! Have a good day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both those cases would not work for me as I am planning to stack the HTPC under the Yamaha Receiver

So the cube and the tower won't work for my needs, need a desktop case!
    A nice HTPC case that would fit in with your receiver is the Silverstone Grandia series (GD05/GD06).

what would be the most appropriate PSU I can get (preferably 80 plus certified and modular) for around $60!
    If you are trying to save money, skip the modular. Seriously, you aren't going to see any of the cables anyways, so just use a cable tie to get them out of the way and call it a day.

How about a nice 300W 80Plus Bronze Seasonic for around $40+shipping at Newegg?
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist