Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermaltake Air Cooling... Looking for feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no problem testing products 5to show you guys performance but please be realistic...

do you buy a Camaro and expect to compete with a Ferrari at Le Mans?

lets compare apples to apples here guys.... I'll be real with you guys but please be reasonable with me as well. I like being here but what you guys are requesting doesnt even make sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Yeah, but the Big Water 760 Plus isn't a quiet solution; nor optimized to be.
    That's the problem.

I can get a performance solution like the Rasa RX kits or a silent solution like the Rasa RS kits for the same price or cheaper than a Big Water 760 Plus and either get better performance or a quieter solution.

Where's that leave the Big Water on the market?

Even if you want to argue it's a 120mm RAD vs a 240mm RAD the Rasa RS / RX 120 kits will out perform the Big Water 760 Plus. Which again, they're cheaper than the Tt's solution.

The Big Water doesn't have a realistic place in the market versus the competition.

I'm just looking at products that are priced the same, or are at least on the same scale with one another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tt enthusiasts View Post
    also Original sin.... 1.7V high clocked nehalem? seriously? I do overclock btw heres my profile http://hwbot.org/user/punx223/

I stopped posting results awhile back due to recent changes that messed up scoring for EVERYTHING but I think you get the point...

1.7V is nuts to expect that sustainable on any cooling solution that is not pretty extreme, and lets not forget your chip is not gonna be very happy very long unless sub ambient cooling is used at that voltage.
    I do get what you're saying, but you missed my point, that's not in any way sustainable, no one in its right mind is gonna run a Nehalem @ 1.7 daily.. that's simply a testing scenario(a very good one too) for extreme TDP situation where you separate the true extreme/overclocking coolers from the pack, you slap a couple of 6k RPM San Ace fans on and see if you can avoid throttling in Prime95, >90% of the 'high end' heat sinks currently on the market won't make it to 20 seconds..
    We were discussing Bulldozer, a horrid CPU in this regard, which most likely will put the Gulftown and the Nehalem to shame in power draw, the heat sinks that do well in the above scenario will do well with Bulldozer too, and imo that's the true test of a high end cooler, when heat transfer and dissipation is so good that you can keep from throttling a Nehalem @ 1.7v running Prime95 loops.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like being here but what you guys are requesting doesnt even make sense.
    Just looking for solutions.

Haven't used any Tt products in many years..Think I might have bought a cooler for a 486 ??...its been awhile.

Anyway, my point was: the market for coolers really has been diminished as CPU often get down to 65 watt ....

Now with reports of FX systems adding 200 additional watts when OC , now you have a demand opportunity if you can satisfy it.

You're the expert...tell me what you have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    I do get what you're saying, but you missed my point, that's not in any way sustainable, no one in its right mind is gonna run a Nehalem @ 1.7 daily.. that's simply a testing scenario(a very good one too) for extreme TDP situation where you separate the true extreme/overclocking coolers from the pack, you slap a couple of 6k RPM San Ace fans on and see if you can avoid throttling in Prime95, >90% of the 'high end' heat sinks currently on the market won't make it to 20 seconds..
    We were discussing Bulldozer, a horrid CPU in this regard, which most likely will put the Gulftown and the Nehalem to shame in power draw, the heat sinks that do well in the above scenario will do well with Bulldozer too, and imo that's the true test of a high end cooler, when heat transfer and dissipation is so good that you can keep from throttling a Nehalem @ 1.7v running Prime95 loops.
    I honestly dont think there are really any coolers that would sustain that for very long if at all under a load but I think were kinda arguing for the sake of arguing which I would like to avoid...

I will test a real world usage scenario but for that I would be comparing a SS or cascade at the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Yeah, but the Big Water 760 Plus isn't a quiet solution; nor optimized to be.
    That's the problem.

I can get a performance solution like the Rasa RX kits or a silent solution like the Rasa RS kits for the same price or cheaper than a Big Water 760 Plus and either get better performance or a quieter solution.

Where's that leave the Big Water on the market?

Even if you want to argue it's a 120mm RAD vs a 240mm RAD the Rasa RS / RX 120 kits will out perform the Big Water 760 Plus. Which again, they're cheaper than the Tt's solution.

The Big Water doesn't have a realistic place in the market versus the competition.

I'm just looking at products that are priced the same, or are at least on the same scale with one another.
    i can understand where your coming from but I will be honest here I am not familiar with those kits or even what they offer, but I will definitely check them out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Just looking for solutions.

Haven't used any Tt products in many years..Think I might have bought a cooler for a 486 ??...its been awhile.

Anyway, my point was: the market for coolers really has been diminished as CPU often get down to 65 watt ....

Now with reports of FX systems adding 200 additional watts when OC , now you have a demand opportunity if you can satisfy it.

You're the expert...tell me what you have.
    Believe me BD is not only one that jumps to 200W when overclocked..

Gulfys do it, SB can even do it... just a matter of the Voltage and load your pushing to it....

Remember that 65W tdp CPU is only 65W max at stock settings once you start to overclock 65W or 95W in the case of 2500/2600K cpus easily eclipse 95W in the drop of a hat when you start dumping voltage....

therefore if everyone stops overclocking and just uses the system at stock then yes the market would diminish, but that would be very boring.,... at least in my opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, you are dodging the request for a recommendation.

200-300 watts over the base 100 watt, not 200 watts total.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx...essor-review/7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    yeah, you are dodging the request for a recommendation.

200-300 watts over the base 100 watt, not 200 watts total.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx...essor-review/7
    Not dodging, Sorry guess I missed that part

200+ would be

Jing ~ 200W
    Frio ~ 220W
    Bigwater 760 Plus ~ 220W
    Frio OCK ~ 240W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultimately, the Thermaltake FrioOCK heatsink is too loud with both its' fans operating at full speed and offers up only average thermal performance - due in large part to the handicap imposed by a strongly convex copper base plate. The domed base allows only a small area of contact between the FrioOCK heatsink and the flat synthetic CPU dies - hardly what we'd call ideal.

The underlying build of the FrioOCK cooler looks good, but Thermaltake completely fail to control the quality of one of the most critical aspects of any heatsink, the part that conducts heat away from the processor. Though the Thermaltake FrioOCK does offer average thermal performance, it's potential is completely lost. Not recommended. Lap it flat if you've got it.
    http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2611&page=5

You can't sell junk to the enthusiast market and hope to make it up on PR.

Make quality kit, and the customers will knock-down your doors demanding availability.