Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermaltake Air Cooling... Looking for feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    If I do see any more members getting the run around, I'll send them your way.

Still, I'd have to see for myself; not only good temps, but long term reliability from Tt's water cooling products.

If anything, my suggestion would be to go with a reputable pump manufacturer like Laing or Jingway. As for blocks, do what you do with PSU's and show the customers the innards of them.
    By that, I mean show the users your block's innards, with the pin grid and what not.

I'd also make sure you send the product(s) off to people who know what they're doing. Like Martin & Skinnee @ Skinnee Labs.
    Im already working on some LCS testers... unfortunately as im sure you know Martin kinda dropped out of the game quite some time ago... so im working with Skinee to get some testing done.

but now you bring a very interesting issue to the table. you say good temps but I would venture to ask what is good?

The bigwater is not designed to replace high end watercooling, if your running 5+GHz sandy bridge setup your not gonna be using a Bigwater. I run a custom LCS because I need it for what I run, but for someone looking to get away from a stock cooler or something better than most air coolers the Bigwater is a good option for them. I think this really comes down to using the right tool for the job, Im an overclocker I wouldnt use the bigwater as I need more thermal capacity but for a regular gaming rig I would use one no problem as im not pushing it to that extreme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Good temps in relation to the cost of the solution you're using.

An easy example is the XSPC Rasa 750-RS240 or RS360 kits are priced close to or at the price of the Big Water 760 Plus($130-150); but easily have temperature differences of 10*C on an i7-860 or i7-2600K

For $10-20 more you can get an XSPC Rasa RX based kit (either RX240 or RX360) and net even better temps while using slower fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Good temps in relation to the cost of the solution you're using.

An easy example is the XSPC Rasa 750-RS240 or RS360 kits are priced close to or at the price of the Big Water 760 Plus($130-150); but easily have temperature differences of 10*C on an i7-860 or i7-2600K

For $10-20 more you can get an XSPC Rasa RX based kit (either RX240 or RX360) and net even better temps while using slower fans.
    Give me a day or 2 and I will be happy to setup a Bigwater 760Plus and test this for you.

can you link me to teh results so I know what clock speed and etc I will be comparing to?

Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Boards I'll leave up to your choice; but from what I've looked at:
    Core i7 2600K @ 5Ghz / 1.52v
    Core i7 860 @ 4.4Ghz / 1.48v

If you could, Phenom II x6 @ 4.4Ghz / 1.55v or FX-8120 @ 5.5Ghz / 1.6v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only Tt air cooler I have used was the DuOrb Extreme and SpinQ VT. The DuOrb Extreme was used on an ATI 4890 and ATI 5850. The cooling was good but it didn't come with good VRM heatsinks (common issue with universal graphic card heatsinks). The heatsink came with an in-line fan control knob on the power cable which is definitely better than not having a controller but I would prefer to be able to plug the unit into a fan controller and be able to monitor fan speeds and noise without having to open my case. I thought the quality on this unit was good. I would have liked the blue LEDs to be brighter/crisper and would have liked a better heatsink bundle.

I have also briefly used a SpinQ VT as a backup cooler. This is more style over cooling ability so it didn't meet my needs long term but it looks unique. I am not a huge fan of push-pin mounting systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if you really want to do some competitive testing for mass market appeal:

The FX-8150 appears to OC very high but with thermal loads that would bury most air coolers.

I have the Antec KUHLER H2O 920 at around $100.

I'm thinking of getting the CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler at around $120.

If you would show me better results with a comparable Tt system, i would certainly consider it...and the market for these all in one solutions is very large.

Looking forward to seeing your test results either way ; Tator tot challenge or mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Well, if you really want to do some competitive testing for mass market appeal:

The FX-8150 appears to OC very high but with thermal loads that would bury most air coolers.

I have the Antec KUHLER H2O 920 at around $100.

I'm thinking of getting the CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler at around $120.

If you would show me better results with a comparable Tt system, i would certainly consider it...and the market for these all in one solutions is very large.

Looking forward to seeing your test results either way ; Tator tot challenge or mine.
    Neither would perform very well on a bulldozer system.. we're talking about huge TDP scenarios.. check out the link I left on the front page to see how well the Frio does agains the(ancient by now) Megashadow, they've done some good things with it(soldered fins and heat pipes) but the base is lacking and the mounting is lacking even more(pressure wise).

As for the H100, it's very poor @ low RPM, the dense fin arrangement of the radiator means you need benching fans for serious overclocks(especially on a monster like bulldozer) and it still trails an NH-D14 with TY-140 fans
    AIO liquid cooling solutions are still shit.

@ Tt rep,
    Most reviewers have no idea what they're talking about, testing an overclocking cooler on a stock Deneb or SandyB is like slicing bread with a Katana and calling it an awesome blade, Frio is a decent cooler, it has some things going for it, but similarly it has some severe drawbacks.. in high TDP scenarios it can't hold a candle to the Super Mega/Megahalems/Genesis, NH-D14, Archon/Silver Arrow/Venomus etc.

What I'd also like to see from you is coolers designed for post pubescent people.. cheap plastic and a rainbow of colors is not something I look for when searching after enthusiast grade hardware.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for the H100, it's very poor @ low RPM, the dense fin arrangement of the radiator means you need benching fans for serious overclocks(especially on a monster like bulldozer) and it still trails an NH-D14 with TY-140 fans
    AIO liquid cooling solutions are still shit.
    Thanks, I expected as much.
    Just curious if the "bigwater" or "XSPC Rasa 750-RS240 or RS360 kits" kits are enough of a step up either.

I really am too lazy to go all out....I just want something "Better than stock" that would let me OC Bulldozer easily without costing more than the CPU itself.

But then again, I would like unicorns to trim my grass and dragons to burn off the leaves.
    Last edited by mdk777; 10-13-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, I expected as much.
    Just curious if the "bigwater" or "XSPC Rasa 750-RS240 or RS360 kits" kits are enough of a step up either.
    np, I only heard good things about the XSPC gear but that's all I can say about them.. honestly, a solution that does well on Gulftown or Nehalem(1.7v, high clocks & Prime where the leakage is huge) should do well on Bulldozer too.

But then again, I would like unicorns to trim my grass and dragons to burn off the leaves.
    haha, god I hate unicorns..
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well guys as I said just a few posts before all of the sudden were talking about 2 different situations here... not everyone is running a 2600K at 5GHz and if you are your usually using a higher end liquid cooler...

The Bigwater 760 Plus is not going to compare against an H100 on and ralistic term..... thats a Closed loop system, the 760 plus is a totally different solution... granted it is All in one for the pump/res, but we offer more radiators to include thermal load, the expandability or how far you push it is up to you...

but by comparing to a h100 your comparing a 24cm fan to a 12cm rad, theres no point in even testing.

if we wanna be realistic then we can discuss such things but like I have said many times now you have to choose "the right tool for the job"

also Original sin.... 1.7V high clocked nehalem? seriously? I do overclock btw heres my profile http://hwbot.org/user/punx223/

I stopped posting results awhile back due to recent changes that messed up scoring for EVERYTHING but I think you get the point...

1.7V is nuts to expect that sustainable on any cooling solution that is not pretty extreme, and lets not forget your chip is not gonna be very happy very long unless sub ambient cooling is used at that voltage.