Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Thermaltake Air Cooling... Looking for feedback

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    45
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Thermaltake Air Cooling... Looking for feedback

    Many of you im sure have seen a Thermaltake cooler offering, possibly many and may have even used them at one point or maybe many times. Please tell me about your experience, feel free to let us know anything you would like to see, implemented, changed, improved, etc.

    let us know how we can make it better for you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Owned a Thermaltake V1 (copper version). Looked nice, did well for a dual core, utterly sucked for a quad core.

    For the most part it seems like you're basing your cooling products on copying Zalman products that haven't been updated or improved since 2005. Get with the program, add more fins, more heatpipes, better fans (higher CFM, higher static pressure, lower noise, and damn the extra cost), etc.

    I know you said air cooling, but your water cooling is crap and is a hazard to peoples' PCs. I've seen four different PCs damaged or destroyed by Tt watercooling products since 2008, more than I've seen from all other WCing companies combined (discounting obvious user error). Fix it.
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in your bathroom
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Check out this article(Google translate should do the trick), where your best air cooler(Frio) is put through its paces along side a ZT10D Premium and a Megashadow. Poor to average base for an overclocking cooler, very poor retention mechanism.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    45
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
    Owned a Thermaltake V1 (copper version). Looked nice, did well for a dual core, utterly sucked for a quad core.

    For the most part it seems like you're basing your cooling products on copying Zalman products that haven't been updated or improved since 2005. Get with the program, add more fins, more heatpipes, better fans (higher CFM, higher static pressure, lower noise, and damn the extra cost), etc.

    I know you said air cooling, but your water cooling is crap and is a hazard to peoples' PCs. I've seen four different PCs damaged or destroyed by Tt watercooling products since 2008, more than I've seen from all other WCing companies combined (discounting obvious user error). Fix it.
    I have no problem confronting this at all, but I must ask have you even looked at a recent cooler offering from Tt. The Frio and Frio OCK are some of the top Air coolers out right now.

    as for the Bigwater please feel free to explain how it is a hazard. I understand previously there were some issues with Acrylic topped blocks and cracking, but those models have been replaced and how the blocks are a newer design with a composite top which we have not experienced any cracking or issues with.

    Have you looked at the recent offerings?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    45
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    Check out this article(Google translate should do the trick), where your best air cooler(Frio) is put through its paces along side a ZT10D Premium and a Megashadow. Poor to average base for an overclocking cooler, very poor retention mechanism.
    The Frio and Frio OCK has been used and recommended by many overclockers including myself... (pretest not actual benchmarking thats reserved for cascade or LN2)

    I would agree the original Frio mounting could be better but the Frio OCK uses the new mounting style.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I have to admit I haven't looked closely in a while. As for water cooling, I remember some pretty dramatic pictures of coolant gunk and corrosion.
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    45
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
    I have to admit I haven't looked closely in a while. As for water cooling, I remember some pretty dramatic pictures of coolant gunk and corrosion.
    Corrosion would be avoided if using an anti corrosion additive which our coolant has within it straight out of the box, but alot of the gunking I had seen was from using straight water with no anti algae additive or corrosion inhibitors.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,087
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    413
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

    Default

    There's plenty of cases around the web of the acrylic cracking in Tt water products, tubes leaking due to the barbs / tubing used. And the clamps not being strong enough.

    I would never recommend any current water cooling product that Tt sells, to anyone looking to get into that scene.
    I've seen too many horror stories of dead hardware, combined with Tt support giving consumers the run around.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    45
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    There's plenty of cases around the web of the acrylic cracking in Tt water products, tubes leaking due to the barbs / tubing used. And the clamps not being strong enough.

    I would never recommend any current water cooling product that Tt sells, to anyone looking to get into that scene.
    I've seen too many horror stories of dead hardware, combined with Tt support giving consumers the run around.
    Please let me know if there are any support issues as I can take care of that quickly.

    as for the acrylic cracking as I already said we are aware of the issues that were observed which is why most all manufacturers no longer offer acrylic blocks...

    our blocks are now a composite offering which we have seen no issues with.

    thank you for the feedback.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,087
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    413
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

    Default

    If I do see any more members getting the run around, I'll send them your way.

    Still, I'd have to see for myself; not only good temps, but long term reliability from Tt's water cooling products.

    If anything, my suggestion would be to go with a reputable pump manufacturer like Laing or Jingway. As for blocks, do what you do with PSU's and show the customers the innards of them.
    By that, I mean show the users your block's innards, with the pin grid and what not.

    I'd also make sure you send the product(s) off to people who know what they're doing. Like Martin & Skinnee @ Skinnee Labs.

Similar Threads

  1. Feedback on these PSU for NAS system...
    By thecoffeeguy in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 04:07 PM
  2. feedback on this screenshot i got from 80plus.org
    By Hondacity in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 12:46 AM
  3. Your thoughts on my planned PC! Feedback pls : )
    By Seraphy in forum General PC Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM
  4. System Build feedback
    By Secolliyn in forum General PC Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 05:06 AM
  5. Thermaltake iXoft cooling pad
    By Spawne32 in forum General PC Hardware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •