Thread: Help Required. First gaming pc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help Required. First gaming pc

Hi all,

Ive just flicked through some of the threads on here and found out some useful info but I was hoping you could point me in the right direction and help further.

Im looking to purchase or build (a friend of mine would put it together) a gaming PC. Ill be playing Battlefield 3, team fortress 2, mass effect 2 etc. I'll also be storing movies and music and doing some work on it incl going on the net. My budget for everything (I currently have a desk and a chair), system, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc is £800, If I can do it cheaper then great but not sure if Im being too optimistic.

I was on overclockers and saw the Titan Krypt, you get to pick your graphics card and I was thinking the gtx 460. This comes out at £521.96. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-210-OK

Is the above as good as I am going to get for that money? any comments etc much appreciated.

My next dilema is should I go 3d. I saw an LG monitor 23" that was 3d ready and I know the above graphics card will run 3d. the monitor was £180 ish. I know Ill need to get glasses on top of that which I could get further down the line worst case. Any help as to if its worth going 3d and what I should look for etc...

Keyboard and mouse - again any suggestions are greatfully recieved.

Thanks in advance and apologies if I seem like a complete idiot but I am when it comes to pcs.

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flatty View Post
    Is the above as good as I am going to get for that money? any comments etc much appreciated.
    You can do better.

My next dilema is should I go 3d. I saw an LG monitor 23" that was 3d ready and I know the above graphics card will run 3d. the monitor was £180 ish. I know Ill need to get glasses on top of that which I could get further down the line worst case. Any help as to if its worth going 3d and what I should look for etc...
    Nope, 3d is still shit.
    You should look for an IPS panel(Dell UltraSharp for example), the largest you can afford (22"/23"/24").

Keyboard and mouse - again any suggestions are greatfully recieved.
    Peripherals are easily changed/added/upgraded afterwards, you should avoid spending too much on this things now and focus on the internals which should have priority over everything else.

Is ebuyer.com good for you or do you prefer a different shop?
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your reply!!

Never used Ebuyer in all honesty but dont think id have a problem shopping from there.

Take on board your comments re: 3d. Was only something I was toying with but ill bin it off I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here you go:

2500K @ 170£
    MSI P67A-C45 @ 85£
    KFA2 GTX 560Ti @ 177£
    Antec TPN 550W @ 60£
    Samsung F3 1TB @ 40£
    NZXT Source 210 @ 40£
    G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB @ 37£

And you're left with about 200£ for the monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers which is doable

That system is pretty much the best you can do with your budget, you would only need to add an SSD and an after market CPU Cooler later on to round everything up nicely.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great, really appreciate your help. I will show this to my friend who will be putting it together for me just to make sure he's comfortable doing so and then ill get it ordered!

thanks again.