Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Enermax Platimax 1200W review

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    526
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    30
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
    ok, I'm glad that I'm wrong, what is the enermax model that scored 9.8?
    9.9 actually

    Galaxy EVO 1250w
    ,more than two years ago

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    323
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
    this site don't like enermax as they always show in their reviews, probably the platimax would mark 9.5 of final score if it was "labeled" by seasonic or corsair.
    I believe the inconsistancy (not related to Platimax) happens due to having two different reviewers with different ideas. This is an ongoing issue with the site. For example, Wolf labeled the Strider 1200 as "the poorest performer" just because it shutdown in the hot box at 1200W;

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=107

    Other hand, Jon praised the exact same platform, the Real Power Pro 1000 although it shutdown in the same way on him:

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story3&reid=52

    Now we need to seperate facts from the opinion. It wasn't the worst the 1200W unit since it outperformed many including CWT PUC units of that time. Jon did the right thing here, Jeremy didn't. It's not "the poorest unit". That's pure opinion.

    Coming back on present, the Platinum 1000 got a 10 in performance despite the ripple spike. It deserved a 9.5, not a 10. But he wrote off a paragraph repeating "0.3v regulation" and not going much over ripple. Again, that's just opinion.

    How does that affect us? If found a deal on the Real Power Pro, someone might buy it. But not the Strider 1200. Because review on it is misleading. This is an easy fix. It could be thought of by giving a score from Wolf, and making Jon go over the review and see if the score is applicable. Just saying.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,391
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    TIMES MAN,

    They are a changing....

    What passes for acceptable 4 years ago, does not translate into cutting edge today.

    That is kind of the whole reason for a technology review site, right?

    If technology were static, or even reliably consistent in the rate of change, no one would need to look at every model and wonder how it compares to what is on the market TODAY in comparison.

    PS, the weighting of criteria, the format of the reviews, and additional information (low wattage testing for example) have all changed over the years.(for the good)

    Regarding Enermax in specific: The only BIAS I have seen has been in regard to their competitive (lack of) pricing in the NA market. This really has nothing to do with the review process, it has to do with their choice of marketing and distribution(and retail pricing).

    PSS,

    What is the difference between an 8 and a 9 review rating? As you well know, to find that out, you need to read the details of the review. Some criteria might not apply to you personally at all. I for one don't care at all about ascetics. The unit could be blaze orange with safety neon green accents for all I care. Hence, just looking at the final review score is only an approximation. But you know all this.

    Hence your post does fall in the 100% FUD category.
    Last edited by mdk777; 11-21-2011 at 08:58 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    323
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    TIMES MAN,

    They are a changing....

    What passes for acceptable 4 years ago, does not translate into cutting edge today.

    That is kind of the whole reason for a technology review site, right?

    If technology were static, or even reliably consistent in the rate of change, no one would need to look at every model and wonder how it compares to what is on the market TODAY in comparison.

    PS, the weighting of criteria, the format of the reviews, and additional information (low wattage testing for example) have all changed over the years.(for the good)
    No. What I meant to say is, the two units were reviewed in close times between each, and although based on the same platform (with kW at 07 - 1.2kW at 08), while showing the "same" reaction (shutdown in hot box full load), Wolf labeled the 1.2kW as THE worst unit. It wasn't. That's plain ridicilious. Jon on the other hand gave a good name to the kW version of Enhance design.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Regarding Enermax in specific: The only BIAS I have seen has been in regard to their competitive (lack of) pricing in the NA market. This really has nothing to do with the review process, it has to do with their choice of marketing and distribution(and retail pricing).

    PSS,

    What is the difference between an 8 and a 9 review rating? As you well know, to find that out, you need to read the details of the review. Some criteria might not apply to you personally at all. I for one don't care at all about ascetics. The unit could be blaze orange with safety neon green accents for all I care. Hence, just looking at the final review score is only an approximation. But you know all this.

    Hence your post does fall in the 100% FUD category.
    There's no FUD in my post. It's facts. Anybody with some knowledge knows the Strider 1200 isn't the worst 1.2kW unit. In fact, it was one of the best in it's day, and still is a capable unit I'd suggest (after rebates).

    Bias or no bias, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is, these reviews are opinionated. I know for a fact most people wouldn't buy the Strider 1200 with the review saying it's the worst 1.2kW unit at the end. People aren't knowledgeable on this subject. Most just go to the last page without even reading/understanding the review.

    That said, paragraphs like this are dumbed down and should have no place in a review. They make me stay away from reading the whole thing.

    "So between the progressive load tests, we're looking at an average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... 0.3% regulation. Average... oh, sorry. Got a little caught up in the awesomeness there."

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,391
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    What I'm saying is, these reviews are opinionated
    As are all. Human nature.

    Most just go to the last page without even reading/understanding the review.
    Then they are simpletons that have no reason to look at reviews at all.
    They should pick out their equipment by throwing a dart at the Best Buy AD.

    I know for a fact most people wouldn't buy the Strider 1200 with the review saying it's the worst 1.2kW unit at the end.
    The actual quote stated that it was the worst reviewed HERE to DATE.
    That doesn't make it the worst in the world. There is some real crap out there as you know. It just didn't surpass any that were reviewed here.

    Finally, you are comparing a review of a 1000 watt with the review of a 1200 watt.

    Yet again as you well know, what can pass at 1000 watts does not always pass muster when stretched out to 1200 watt.


    You know all this and yet you post obvious flame bait and FUD. I am reconsidering my vote regarding the BAN issue.

    They make me stay away from reading the whole thing.
    Not a great surprise from what you have posted already. I hazard to guess that you have a natural aversion in this regard.
    Last edited by mdk777; 11-21-2011 at 10:50 AM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    316
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    20
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    looks like JD reviewing JG's review

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    323
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    The actual quote stated that it was the worst reviewed HERE to DATE.
    That doesn't make it the worst in the world. There is some real crap out there as you know. It just didn't surpass any that were reviewed here.
    Wrong as was pointed before. Here're two worse performers, and there're more that performed worse before the Strider on here.

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=Story&reid=37

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=Story&reid=45

    Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Finally, you are comparing a review of a 1000 watt with the review of a 1200 watt.

    Yet again as you well know, what can pass at 1000 watts does not always pass muster when stretched out to 1200 watt.
    False, the platform goes up to 1250W. I'm running my own setup on a Real Power Pro 1250 right now, and have the 1000W version in the box on top of the drawer. It's running four 470's.

    Both the Strider 1200 and the Real Power Pro has Teapo's, so both share the same charasterics. They both shutdown under high temp scenario's due the slow fan. I know well about these units and have recapped mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Not a great surprise from what you have posted already. I hazard to guess that you have a natural aversion in this regard.
    Actually, I read everything out there on the SeaSonic before coming to the conclusion that it's poor bang for buck. I mean, it got a 10 in price. For? The Galaxy Evo is kicking for $225 AR. Or if you don't want it, you can get a Silencer 910 for $130 AR rather than paying $260 for the Platinum 1000.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    68
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    This is an easy fix. It could be thought of by giving a score from Wolf, and making Jon go over the review and see if the score is applicable. Just saying.

    Yeah, Jeremy is too opinionated.

    What I would rather see added to this site is a function where after you post Jon or Jeremy have to review it before it gets posted for public viewing.....maybe save the site some bandwidth. Just saying.
    Corsair 650D
    Corsair HX620
    Q9550 @ 3.825GHz
    Maximus II Formula
    DDR2 Mushkin Ascents @ 1080MHz
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x 2 (RAID1)
    OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD
    EVGA GTX285
    Samsung T240

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    323
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaninja View Post
    Yeah, Jeremy is too opinionated.
    That's not the point. Point is the differences that happen between the reviews (of two different reviewers).

    Quote Originally Posted by kaninja View Post
    What I would rather see added to this site is a function where after you post Jon or Jeremy have to review it before it gets posted for public viewing.....maybe save the site some bandwidth. Just saying.
    I'd have taken this up somewhere... you know, but only if this was the eVGA forums. Sorry, that's not going to happen here.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,391
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    False, the platform goes up to 1250W. I'm running my own setup on a Real Power Pro 1250 right now, and have the 1000W version in the box on top of the drawer. It's running four 470's.
    You missed the important point. I understand that they are similar platforms.
    But one was tested at 1000 watt rating and the other at 1200 watt. Hence the different testing criteria for what is a very similar basic product.

    Both the Strider 1200 and the Real Power Pro has Teapo's, so both share the same charasterics. They both shutdown under high temp scenario's due the slow fan. I know well about these units and have recapped mine.
    Can I just say WTF?

    Why would you recommend a product that by your own experience overheats and destroys its components?

    By your review I would give them a 5 out of 10.

    Use if you have to. Replace with something better ASAP

    You make absolutely no sense.

Similar Threads

  1. Enermax Platimax D.F. 1200W @ Tom's Hardware
    By Orion in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2018, 01:07 AM
  2. Enermax Platimax 1000W review
    By Jon Gerow in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
  3. Review: 600w Platimax from Enermax
    By dlb in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 04:01 PM
  4. Review: 1200w Enermax Platimax
    By dlb in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 07:45 PM
  5. Enermax Platimax 1200w Review @ HardOCP
    By Tator Tot in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •