Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in troubleshooting PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help in troubleshooting PSU

Hi

I'm not really sure if it's my PSU but it seems like it.

Problem:

During cold boot when I press the power button the computer would boot up then show the gigabyte logo then after a couple or so secs I would hear a click then the computer would suddenly turn off then after another couple or so second it will start to boot up again then the gigabyte logo would appear then suddenly turns off again. This would cycle a few times.

What I usually did (but I'm not sure if that helps) is that I would press the off switch of the power supply then turn it on again then press the power button. It usually boots up properly after that.

The problem is that sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to figure out what causes it. I tried to re-assemble the PC, from the ram to the GPU to the 8 pin power extension that I bought, I even tried removing everything including the cell battery (I didn't removing the CPU and cooler). I picked up and assembled everything 3-4 weeks ago and everything should be new, I didn't see any blown capacitors on the mobo as well.

Could I have gotten a faulty PSU? Would a faulty PSU have a symptom such as this? I tried to leave my computer on overnight (2-3 days ago) and it doesn't seem to have any problem, it doesn't randomly reboots or anything.

Is there a way I can diagnose or check if I have a faulty or fully working PSU?

The specs
    Intel 2600k
    Gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3
    Patriot 4x4GB ram
    Gigabyte 6870 oc
    1 DVD drive
    3 HDD
    OCZ Modxstream 700W

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

First thing: Go in the BIOS and turn the Gigabyte logo off at boot so you have a normal boot screen. Maybe something is being said on that screen, but you wouldn't know it because the BIOS is set to show the Gigabyte logo instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I just disabled the logo. I don't know how to recreate it, I'll wait for it to act up again. Then I'll post if there's an error.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's either the motherboard or the psu, the simplest way to find out is to test the system with a different power supply..
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    It's either the motherboard or the psu, the simplest way to find out is to test the system with a different power supply..
    Unfortunately I don't have access to a backup for either of those .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I came across something similar on two occasions, first it was the mobo(Abit board with an nf6xx southbridge that failed) and it started out that way.. the second time it was due to a Topower made Raidmax, never understood what exactly happened but as soon as the psu was changed everything went back to normal..
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got an error saying that there's a problem because of overclocking or overvoltage. The weird thing is that everything is loaded as default settings.

EDIT: I didn't change anything and it the default was loaded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    I got an error saying that there's a problem because of overclocking or overvoltage. The weird thing is that everything is loaded as default settings.

EDIT: I didn't change anything and it the default was loaded.
    Did you update your BIOS recently(before this started)!?.. what does the error refer to, the RAM or the CPU!?

clear CMOS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    Did you update your BIOS recently(before this started)!?.. what does the error refer to, the RAM or the CPU!?

clear CMOS
    Nope, I didn't do anything recently on the board. I forgot to write the error down

I'll try to clear the cmos, I'm waiting a few more mins and try again. I might see the error message and write it down this time.

EDIT1: there's one weird thing I noticed, when the error shows up at the post screen I see that the version is F5 but when I'm in my bios setting it says F7.

EDIT2: Here's a picture of the error, I guess I have to clear the cmos settings ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT3: I tried to google my motherboard and how to clear cmos, I saw that gigabyte has a problem with "cold reboot loop" hopefully clearing the cmos would fix my problem

I'll try those and thanks a lot Original Sin and jonnyGURU.

EDIT4: It seems to fix it, its showing the correct bios version during boot up.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Aero; 08-17-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry for leaving you in the middle of it.. had some immediate issues to attend.. anyway, glad you got it sorted.. Gigabyte classics, no surprise really