Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: first build for gaming, any thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Ok, John Doe is obviously a nVidia fan. I'll try to keep it simple for you.

nVidia has a history of good stable drivers. What differentiate nVidia cards from ATI cards is that they have Physix but very few games use Physix for anything other then some drops of rain, glass breaking or some paper sheets or tree leaves floating in the air.
    Other than this nVidia had a lot of issue with the video cards they made quite recently, I would say in the last two years or so, due to bad soldering composition. The solder they used to connect the video chip silicon to the metal things that touch the rest of the video card was faulty and after a while, with a lot of heating and cooling down, the video cards would simply fail.
    There were A LOT of laptops and whole series of video cards that are affected by this and even though they never admitted to it, they set aside hundred of millions of dollars to exchange or repair cards and laptops and HP, Apple and other laptop makers would also replace laptop motherboards with no questions asked.

Nowadays, this new generation of video cards from nVidia is supposed to have no issues but the reason I pointed that out is to show that both parties can have issues.

ATI (AMD now) cards have had driver issues for quite some time - when very popular games would come out you would usually have to wait 1-2 weeks for the most recent driver release to get the game playing without texture glitches or other annoying things. Other than that, the hardware itself never had issues unlike nVidia.
    More recently, I would say since about a year and a half, the drivers are very stable and in my opinion have improved a lot.

The good thing for AMD cards nowadays is that all of them support DirectX 11 (though few games actually use it enough to be noticeable visually) since at least 1-2 previous generations of cards compared to nVidia which just recently made DX11 capable cards. Another good thing about the AMD cards are eyeFinity, which makes it easy to use 2-3 monitors or even more and have them appear to the OS as a single big monitor if you want to. nVidia cards really only support 2 monitors and as far as I know, you won't be able to combine them into a single big monitor.

AMD cards also have OpenCL and due to the way the hardware is designed, they're very good for Bitcoin mining, if you're into that.

So
    nvidia : physix, stable drivers, cuda, questionable hardware in the past and lying to customers about it
    ati/amd : opencl, multiple monitor support, no history of actual hardware faults, stable drivers now but had a spotty history with drivers in the past

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gogoman123 View Post
    and i think it has a vrm module

Every single motherboard has a voltage regulator module aka VRM, what it is and what it does, explained as simple as i can below..

Different system components use different voltages, this voltages need to be converted from those supplied by the PSU.. a typical Sandy Bridge CPU(your case) feels best at around 1.3v, taking it higher will land you better clocks, but with obvious risks, it's common knowledge that @ 1.6v the silicon in this processors starts to degrade and eventually the CPU will die..
    Now, the processors are fed 12v current by the PSU and what the VRM does is the following.. takes the 12v from the PSU and regulates it to 1.3v for the CPU, this is where the size/quality of the VRM comes into play, a good board with a well sized, good quality VRM will provide much more stable voltages and higher quality current to the CPU than the low end/value boards with shitty VRMs.
    A larger VRM does not always translate into a better board(Gigabyte is a classic example here with their ridiculous 24 phase designs), however an undersized VRM, more often than not, translates in to a poor board.. yours uses a 4 phase design for a the CPU and 1 phase for the memory..
    A larger/better VRM, aside from providing more stable voltages and usually being accompanied by BIOS features that allow for a larger degree of control over voltages and other related features/functions, they tend to heat less that the undersized ones, and this is where those heat sinks come in to play.. at the least, they prolong the life of the board, by cooling the VRM components..
    This doesn't mean you need an xxxx phase VRM, it just means that the board you chose is the bottom of the barrel and few people if any would recommend such a purchase..
    Hope this was clear enough

edit: spelling
    Last edited by Original Sin; 08-18-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well thanks for taking the time to explain all this. lol. i was just about to checkout when i thought i should have a final look at the forum, and i think this happened for a reason. ok so in this case would u be kind enough to recommend a board with a good vrm yet not pricey (b/c i looked everywhere and i cant find this kind of info). i dont need: sli,overclock,usb3,sata3,raid. my build is simple: 1hdd, 1gpu, 2dimm slots. thanks

EDIT: how about this one http://www.ebuyer.com/261404-asus-p8...h61-m-pro-r3-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AsRock Z68 Pro3-M
    Biostar TZ68A+

The cheapest couple of boards worth buying..
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't OC, heatsinks on mobo are not necessary. In fact with such low demands, I would say - get cheapest H61 mobo possible, as SB CPUs are known to be pretty frugal. Sans OC, under load they draw about as much, as my E8400.

That is, unless you want to stop and reconsider USB3.0, because you never know, if you won't need to buy some fast external HDD or flash drive in the future.

OTOH:

AsRock Z68 Pro3-M
    If I were to buy SB like right now, that would be my board. It has plenty of stuff OP may not need, but I damn sure would like to have. Almost perfect mATX board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, had a look @ ebuyer again, and this is the cheapest board i would buy..

/off for now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea that board was also my first choice; I went with the z68 extreme4 because I required more sata port/pci slots but the pro3 had everything else I wanted including display port.
    (I'm not using a dedicated gpu in my linux box)
    -
    oops should have used muti quoted the board in question was the pro3 (oddly the full size pro3 lacks the display port but has an extra pci slot)

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    If you don't OC, heatsinks on mobo are not necessary. In fact with such low demands, I would say - get cheapest H61 mobo possible, as SB CPUs are known to be pretty frugal. Sans OC, under load they draw about as much, as my E8400.

That is, unless you want to stop and reconsider USB3.0, because you never know, if you won't need to buy some fast external HDD or flash drive in the future.

OTOH:

If I were to buy SB like right now, that would be my board. It has plenty of stuff OP may not need, but I damn sure would like to have. Almost perfect mATX board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok just wanted to thank everyone. in the end i bought the parts i initially intended to, thats not to say that i ignored ur resommendations, its just that the mobos original sin recommended were out of budget ,and, as many pointed out, since i dont intend on overclocking and i dont need any extra features, i dont need an expensive board. so i went for this one http://www.ebuyer.com/261404-asus-p8...h61-m-pro-r3-0

anyway, thanks everyone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you have it up and running post a follow up with the good, bad and ughly so others can leran form your experience