Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: first build for gaming, any thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok thanks all.

@original sin, i just looked up what VRM is, ok i havent seen this in any board while shopping, is it really important, may be this kind of thing is standard.
    also r u referring to "turbo-boost", b/c that ausu board supports it.

also the reason i went for nvidia b/c the physX and driver support, what do u think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PhysX is pretty irrelevant - some random particle/smoke effects in like 10 games ever made. Many games use PhysX, but few do GPU acceleration.

Driver support advantage is complete mythology and fanboys' feed - both sides have their problems, I have experienced some on nV too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gogoman123 View Post
    ok thanks all.

@original sin, i just looked up what VRM is, ok i havent seen this in any board while shopping, is it really important, may be this kind of thing is standard.
    also r u referring to "turbo-boost", b/c that ausu board supports it.

also the reason i went for nvidia b/c the physX and driver support, what do u think?
    Nope, not referring to Turbo Boost
    Non K Sandy Bridge processors have a limited unlock of 4 bins, that means you can increase the multiplier by the same value.. so you can squeeze an additional 400Mhz above the highest Turbo Boost frequency..
    As to the VRM heat sinks.. all decent boards have them, only low end/value solutions don't.

As to the pro nVidia arguments, nothing to add really, Rafal cleared the issue already..
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=Original Sin;81053]Nope, not referring to Turbo Boost
    Non K Sandy Bridge processors have a limited unlock of 4 bins, that means you can increase the multiplier by the same value.. so you can squeeze an additional 400Mhz above the highest Turbo Boost frequency..QUOTE]

does this involve overclocking or using a software? b/c if it is then i wont be doing anyway. or does this happen automatically giver the mobo supports it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok thanks everyone. i just want to clarify iam not an nvidia fanboy, its just what i understood from the research i have been doing the past 2 weeks. i have nothing against ati cards. so if the 6850 is the better card and less power hungry then i will go for it (its in fact cheaper )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go for the 6870 suggested here if your budget allows it..
    And yeah, it does involve "overclocking" and it's very simple, you just have to change one bios setting..
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Driver support advantage is complete mythology and fanboys' feed - both sides have their problems, I have experienced some on nV too.
    Right. ATi's drivers have been inferior to nVidia's for how many years? ATi had missing/broken textures on Tomb Raider all the way back, CrossFire was an absolute frustration without application profiles, and they still release "Hotfix" es for their drivers. nVidia offers direct in-game support, less problematic driver sets and up to SLi 32XCSQAA with two cards.

As a side note, I'd look this unit. The regulation on the XT 775W isn't up to my tastes.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...23&subcat=1083

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fanboy alert, do not engage.

You've been proven ludicrious time and time again, I won't bother. Had it been someone else, I would engage. Not with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Fanboy alert, do not engage.

You've been proven ludicrious time and time again, I won't bother.
    I've proved that nVidia's drivers are more stable with facts. Why not try to debunk them? Ignorance alert. I'll just leave this here to let you know (since you don't seem to have much first hand experience from both camps), that ATi needs to get their driver team straight unlike nVidia.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=144535

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about UK prices but in the us the 2500K (cheaper than the 2500) was the sweet spot. The thing is that the 2100 is a dual core processor (in addition to slower clock speed). I guess it depends a little what happens with games and the types of games you play. Most FPS and similar are not that cpu intensive but if you lean towards strategy games there might be some benefit of the extra cores. At the end it really depends on price. Might also consider the 2400 or 2400s (quad core) - again depending on your local prices.
    -
    Using ebuyer (link you provided) a 2310 (lowest sb quad) is 38lb more. Not sure it is worth the price increase as the linear speed is a 10% slower (2.9 vs 3.1) but thought I would mention it in case anyone has an opinion