Thread: 5400 series Xeon backplate issue...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 5400 series Xeon backplate issue...

In a recent upgrade I had a standoff beyond one of my socket771 xeons strip the threading while I was *loosening* the stock cooler to upgrade the cpu's to e5462's and replace the stock hsf's with some coolermasters that are sold as HP Oem's (decent copper heatpipe jobs). Note that I was *loosening* the stock cooler, and what I was loosening was the top screw that goes into the standoff, not the sandoff itself. But the standoff proceeded to spin around and eject the motherboard tray material from the rear anyway...

My *fix* for the standoff issue is to replace the standoffs with a Lian Li backplate (which covers all 4 standoffs and then some) which you can see here:

The first thing I noticed is the screw holes for the backplate line up with nothing on my motherboard tray (which is NOT removeable from my modfieid Lian Li PC-G70 case) and so I assume that I'll need to use very short screws in the backside of the plate to insure the HSF's can still fully dig in their threads without hitting the screws put in the other side. Well time to do the work...

So I'm sitting here with the mobo completely removed, case torn down and removing the other standoffs, and the first one I was removing started to strip. SO I immediately stopped, went and grabbed a small vice grip and put a squirt of solvent (Caig DN5 deoxit which is 5% dexoit, 95% oil) to try to help the others along. 4 of them came out with minor stripping of the threads, no big deal since I'm using that backplate...

But 4 of the screws just completely broke off about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way out. As in the standoff head (the part with the hex shape that u grab with a wrench) completely severed off.... so I have 4 screw holes with partially ejected threads still inside.

So should I just use some JB Weld or metal epoxy to affix the plate and short screws in the rear of the rest of the holes?

(edit, well obviously I decided to go for some JB Weld steel type with 4 screws affixed to rear)
    Last edited by Valis; 08-13-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the tray:

Inset of the one that sticks out the most:

You can still see a bit of marker where I marked off the holes for the original HSF standoffs back when this was first built

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Testfit of Lian Li backplate:

JB Weld & rear screws fully mounted, 3 hours of curing:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks good, nice work..
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And now that I'm done I wish I'd used one of these Lian Li backplates back when I originally built the box a few years ago. The Coolermaster (heatpipe based) HSF's that I have on there are now rock solid, pressing on them feels so much more solid than the OEM heatsinks were before.... (had e5430's with OEM hsf's before, now have Coolermaster / HP branded HSF's with e5462's).