Thread: OC and OV GTX 580 on 680W PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OC and OV GTX 580 on 680W PSU

I just have ordered a reference cooled GTX 580. I own Tagan 680W Superrock DC-DC PSU (insides here http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/T...0-U33II/3.html). The rest of the system is Phenom II 965 C3 OCed to 3.8 ghz at stock volts, one SATA 1TB HDD, 3x200mm + 1x120mm + 1x140mm fans and 2 sticks of 2Gb DDR 3 RAM. The PSU has been heavily used for a year with various OCed FERMIs so rather close to its upper limit I guess.

The question is, can I overvolt the GTX 580 with that PSU? I ussualy compulsively overclock and overvolt new gpus but this time I decided to ask first. I'd like to hit 900mhz with it but am little concerned about running on the edge/ exceeding the limit. What do you people think?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yeah, you'll be fine.

that unit has more power on the 12v rail than most 700w units for that matter. You'll be fine even if you push (and I recommend if you can) the CPU to 4Ghz / 1.55v (with 1.55v being the maximum for those AMD chips.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'm much more concerned about the GTX 580's temperature than the PSU's ability to power it... That there is a very good Impervio design, solid build quality, ~1.5% regulation on 12V rails, ~2.5% on 5V and ~3% on 3.3V; it outputs it's rated power at 40°C, and I imagine even higher, with some room to spare. The label states 18A per 12V rail, but the OCP is much higher, a bit above 30A for each rail, so don't worry too much about tripping the protection.

Other than this, I agree with Tator, you should push the CPU as far as it will go, to ensure that it won't bottleneck the beast that the GTX 580 is.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the answers, good to read that I can, I'll try CPU as well.

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    I'm much more concerned about the GTX 580's temperature than the PSU's ability to power it...
    What I have now is gtx 470 at 750mhz with zalman cooler dumping heat to the case so the 580 with exhaust type cooler will be more like a relief for the system as far as temperatures go Have to say that HAF 922 dealt with it quite good as highest system temp I saw was 37C for motherboard and 50C for the CPU with GPU at 63C so there were tons of dissipated heat...

Out of curiosity, how does Tagan compare to brands like Corsair or Antec? I was close to buying Corsair HX750, hence the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Well, I'd say that Tagan, as a brand, is some ways behind both Corsair and Antec. Tagan sources their PSU from Topower, Impervio and Enhance, which in and of itself isn't bad. Some of the models use off-brand or crap-brand capacitors (mostly on Topower builds), but usually you can count on a Tagan to deliver just about what the box promises. Any more than that would be an exception to the rule. Performance ranges from tolerable (earlier models) to quite good (such as your unit).

As it stands now, both Antec and Corsair have offerings with better value for money and better absolute perfomance than Tagan, but other than that, it's a solid choice for the most part.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should be safe enough with mild overclocks and that unit. It's nowhere near the best, but it should have enough grunt to give you some decent speed boosts. You'll probably find you won't hit the most your GPU can handle, because the power won't be as clean as it should be at higher outputs.
    You may well get more with a newer and better power supply, but with caution on the overclocks, you'll get a decent speed.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)