Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Superflower Golden Silent 500W Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
    I have, since his first, but not all months.
    Well you should be aware that almost all of his reviews have been written with a bit of comedic relief spliced in so it's not as drab as some writing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno about other people, but Wolf's reviews brightens my day up a bit. Maybe it's not everyones cup of tea, tho. Then again there are other reviews of the same PSUs that give you a more drab rundown of the units.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pleased to report that the office rig is back in action. The main monitor is heading to the recyclers, too much water damage, but the backup 17" monitor survived the flood damage and will hold for now. It only works properly at 1024x768, but there's nothing else I can do for now. Now using a 15" LCD as my other monitor in here.

Corsair SP2500 speakers (yes, for an upcoming review), took an extreme amount of water to the sub module, but the OEM sealed it up so well no water at all got to the electronics. Working fine. Still working on obtaining measurement gear for that review. The priority is to get the monitor replaced though. I may scrap the whole measurement idea for that review altogether. Money doesn't grow on trees for me.

My Thermaltake TP Grand, Superflower Fanless, and upcoming Corsair HX1050 review samples are all up for sale, if anyone's interested. They're listed over at OCForums. PM me for details if interested. Proceeds will go right into the new monitor fund.

Got off lucky... the water didn't kill anything too valuable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this unit the same as the Rosewill?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182169

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shovenose For This Useful Post:

ehume (10-05-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts

Yes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ehume (10-05-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

alrighty i bought this PSU for my very first PC build...

i gotta ask a question for you guys PSU master here... some background about me is that... this is my first PC and when i first decide to buy a PC around 2 months ago i didn't know what each PC components does, let alone which PSU cables is for which what amperage and wattage even means.

googling lead me to jonnyguru reviews, read a lot of it, and i bought this PSU in the end since im aiming for quiet PC.

now that my PC is up and running i have a couple of question to ask regarding PSU though...

before i built my first PC a couple weeks ago, when i googled about what PSU to pick to power the vga card i'd like to buy.. sometimes i found answers like this...

""For a system using a single AMD Reference Design Radeon R9 270X graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.""
    1) my question is... which part of the box or PSU i should look at for me to know whether my PSU is single rail or not, and which amperage should i look at to know whether my PSU have ratings of more than 30 amps or not...?
    ps: i googled my VGA product page and i couldn't find the above info...
    == also, i'd like to ask, is there a website to go to where they list modern VGAs wattage and amperage minimum requirements...?

2) my PCI-e cable from the Super flower golden silent looks like this...

as you can see, it has 2 branches at the end, with 6+2 pin connector in each branch. my question is.. if i use cards with 2 x 6 pin connectors like r9 270x or 6 pin + 8 pin connectors like r9 280x, can i just use one cable and plug in both branches?

ps: i ask about that because "how to build a PC" videos on youtube doesn't really cover PCI-e cables that have branches like that. most PC build videos uses PSU with regular PCI-e cables...

cheers,,,,
    Last edited by rovopio; 03-19-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can i just use one cable and plug in both branches?
    Yup...that's the way its designed to work.

also, i'd like to ask, is there a website to go to where they list modern VGAs wattage and amperage minimum requirements...?
    as you mention, the card partners list these for the individual cards.

review sites just repeat what the card makers say.

Techpowerup lists the most complete testing of actual wattage in use.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/P...S_Plus/21.html

which part of the box or PSU i should look at for me to know whether my PSU is single rail or not, and which amperage should i look at to know whether my PSU have ratings of more than 30 amps or not...?
    Varies by company. Some do a good job...many list false information(why you have to read reviews unfortunately)...A great majority are now single rail.

look at the 12 v wattage on the main label and divide by 12 to get amps.

500 watt/12v=41.666 AMPS.....since this unit has all rated wattage available on 12v

PS. if you look at the techpowerup testing for the 270x it never uses over 175watts...so 175/12= less than 15 AMPS required for the card itself.
    The rest are recommended because they assume you need the power to run the rest of your system.
    How do they know what the rest of your system needs? They don't. So they guess. Since they must guess, they guess high.

On a modern low watt intel system with just the basics, a good 360 watt will do for this card.

a 500 watt plat is great...but is overkill.
    Last edited by mdk777; 03-19-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as you can see, it has 2 branches at the end, with 6+2 pin connector in each branch. my question is.. if i use cards with 2 x 6 pin connectors like r9 270x or 6 pin + 8 pin connectors like r9 280x, can i just use one cable and plug in both branches?
    Actually, depends on a card.

Cards just above 150W or so, like 270X will be fine with 2 PCI-E connectors on a single cable.

Yet if you decide to run 300+W dual-GPU cards, you can burn something, either connector to a modular panel or first PCI-E connector.

280x is about 250W card, so it is somewhere in between.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so... to summarize you guys answers...
    ps: english isnt my first lgg

1) use 1 cable for 1 card, never use 1 cable for 2 cards, even if the card runs on low wattage
    2) use 1 cable for 1 card above 150W is fine, it's how the cable is designed...
    so i'd assume using it for gtx 760 is still fine as well.

i hv 2 follow-up questions
    1) what if i'm getting a card like GTX 770 or a R9 280X? that's a 6pin + 8pin connector, by somewhere in between do you mean can i still use 1 cable, or should i use 2 cables?

2) i tried to look at MSI's product page, but i couldn't find the amperage requirement on their website. and i think my box also only stated the wattage requirement not amperage.
    when you said card partners list these infos, where is it listed actually for average users to be able to see?
    was i looking at the wrong place. here's my card product page...
    http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9_27....html#overview
    also.. i tried checking out asus product page as well, couldnt find it there either the wattage and amperage requirement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

by somewhere in between do you mean can i still use 1 cable, or should i use 2 cables?
    Some wattage will be drawn from PCIE slot.

It is not an exact science. I would use 2 cables to be on the safe side.

when you said card partners list these infos, where is it listed actually for average users to be able to see?
    Some do, some don't...throw of the dice.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R...specifications

fairly accurate

up to 300Wadditional 6+8 pin PCIe power required

compared with the following
    Total BS:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...n=&lid=1&leg=0

500 Watt Power Supply is required.
    It is absolutely not required !!

lso.. i tried checking out asus product page as well, couldnt find it there either the wattage and amperage requirement
    http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Card...specifications

up to 225W2 additional 6 pin PCIe power required
    Yeah, definitely on the high side considering testing shows under 175 watt...but as I mentioned, they tend to error on the side of recommending a great deal more than required to make up for crap PSU, and people not accurately knowing how much the rest of the system uses.
    Last edited by mdk777; 03-19-2014 at 05:43 PM.