Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with a PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    Future proofing is like playing three card on the street.
    Expectations are requirements will lessen. I read it if the 750/760 prices are within 10 or 15% it won't hurt.
    I can see you adding more storage or Blue Ray, and/or wireless functions. Neglegable
    If 3D takes off requiring new cards who knows?
    Sortware "might take a jump" in CPU usage. Again minor.?
    I'm not planning on any addition storage right now, but I may need some later. Not using Blu Ray, not fussed about wireless funtions and not interested in 3D (at least not for gaming).

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    New X series seem to catch up in transient response tests as noted by TPU reviews of Corsair AX850 and X-460FL.

If difference in price is indeed small, I'd go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    Yeah, I meant go for 750/760 if they're within 10-or-so % of the 650/660, price-wise. The original X-series models are great, the refresh is just a bit more polished...
    Looking at the site I'm going to be buying from, the 760w is £12 more than 660w, and I may or may not need that additional power, but for such little extra money-wise, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go for the 760w just incase.

Thanks a lot guys, I finally feel comfortable about knowing what PSU wattage I need, and the exact PSU I'll be picking up. I really appreciate the help, and I'll definately direction any PSU-related questions at this forum from now on.

Thanks again

EDIT: Actually, again...one more question, this one just out of curiosity. The site I'm buying from has 2 Seasonic X 760w PSUs, one is £143.98 (listed as: SS-750KM - 760W Seasonic X-Series, Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, 92% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V - X-760 - this is the one I'm picking up) and the other is £155.96 (listed as: 760W SeaSonic X760 SS-760KM Modular 80 Plus GOLD Ultra Silent DC-DC with VRM THE BEST!) . There's no technical specs listed for the more expensive one, so I can't compare the two. But judging by it's listed name, it has VRM (what's VRM?) while the other doesn't?

Any ideas what that's about?

Thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SS-750KM is the Seasonic X-750 and the SS-760KM is the X-760.

X-750 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/760w-...-eps-12v-x-760

X-760 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/760w-...h-vrm-the-best!
    PSU: Rosewill FORTRESS-650 || Mobo: MSI Z97M-G43
    CPU: Intel i7-4770K || Corsair H60 (New Version)
    RAM: 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws 2133MHz @11-11-11-30-2T || SSD: Intel 530 240GB
    HDDs: 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB Hitachi || GPU: AMD Radeon HD7870 @ 1150/1400

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    Looking at the site I'm going to be buying from, the 760w is £12 more than 660w, and I may or may not need that additional power, but for such little extra money-wise, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go for the 760w just incase.

EDIT: Actually, again...one more question, this one just out of curiosity. The site I'm buying from has 2 Seasonic X 760w PSUs, one is £143.98 (listed as: SS-750KM - 760W Seasonic X-Series, Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, 92% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V - X-760 - this is the one I'm picking up) and the other is £155.96 (listed as: 760W SeaSonic X760 SS-760KM Modular 80 Plus GOLD Ultra Silent DC-DC with VRM THE BEST!) . There's no technical specs listed for the more expensive one, so I can't compare the two. But judging by it's listed name, it has VRM (what's VRM?) while the other doesn't?

Any ideas what that's about?

Thanks again!
    Since the X-series is semi-passive (meaning the fan doesn't spin unless the PSU feels it's warm enough to need active cooling), having a higher wattage unit means the fan will start spinning at a higher power draw (as the starting point is a function of maximum power), meaning potentially fanless idle mode, which is fantastic for overnight torrenting if the computer is in the bedroom

The SS-750KM is the "old" model, the SS-760KM is the refresh. They're both capable of substantially more than 760W though

"VRM" is an acronym that stands for Voltage Regulation Module. DC-DC is short for Direct Current to Direct Current, which is again a short explanation of the main principle of voltage rail derivation within this PSU series. Namely, the PSU first produces a 12V primary output, then uses VRMs to step-down the voltage to 3.3V and 5V from a part of the power that the 12V rail provides. This is done to increase efficiency of the PSU and simplify transformer windings and secondary voltage filtering.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p4l1ndr0m3 View Post
    The SS-750KM is the Seasonic X-750 and the SS-760KM is the X-760.

X-750 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/760w-...-eps-12v-x-760

X-760 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/760w-...h-vrm-the-best!
    Well that's bloody confusing. So Scan calling the 750KM a 760w is a mistake on their part?

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    Since the X-series is semi-passive (meaning the fan doesn't spin unless the PSU feels it's warm enough to need active cooling), having a higher wattage unit means the fan will start spinning at a higher power draw (as the starting point is a function of maximum power), meaning potentially fanless idle mode, which is fantastic for overnight torrenting if the computer is in the bedroom

The SS-750KM is the "old" model, the SS-760KM is the refresh. They're both capable of substantially more than 760W though

"VRM" is an acronym that stands for Voltage Regulation Module. DC-DC is short for Direct Current to Direct Current, which is again a short explanation of the main principle of voltage rail derivation within this PSU series. Namely, the PSU first produces a 12V primary output, then uses VRMs to step-down the voltage to 3.3V and 5V from a part of the power that the 12V rail provides. This is done to increase efficiency of the PSU and simplify transformer windings and secondary voltage filtering.
    That's a good point. I won't be downloading torrents, but even downloading games via steam, at least the computer will be nice and quite while doing so.

And yeah, I guess Scan made a mistake calling the 750w the 760w. That means the 760w is a fair bit more than the 660w, but still within budget luckily.

As for the rest, I'm sure it's a great explanation, but the technical stuff goes straight over my head!

I'll understand it all one day! Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I have the regular Seasonic X-650 and the cooler won't spin below 160-175 watts of power usage - that's about 25% of it's rating.

My system, an Intel q6600 with 4 GB DDR2, Radeon 4850 and 5 hard drives, idles in Windows around that value - basically every few minutes, the power supply fan spins at a very low speed for about 10 seconds and then it stops again -I can't hear it when it starts spinning, it's that silent.

Your processor is much better at idle, it sips less power than this Q6600. The GTX580 probably uses less power than this 4850 at idle or just as much... you don't have 5 hard drives in your system like I do... so I think it's safe to say your system will be well under the "start fan" point at idle. But even if starts spinning, it's not full speed and probably it will be covered by the video card's cooler anyway.

As for the two models, they're almost identical, as it was explained above... Visually, I think the X-760 has slightly bigger heatsinks but the heat is actually dissipated by the casing, not by those heatsinks so I don't think it makes a big difference.

X-650:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=169
    X-760:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=235

See.. those aluminum blades are just a bit wider and with fins instead of just a piece of metal... other than this I guess there's some fine tuning regarding voltage regulation but it's really not that big of a deal, both versions are just as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    I have the regular Seasonic X-650 and the cooler won't spin below 160-175 watts of power usage - that's about 25% of it's rating.

My system, an Intel q6600 with 4 GB DDR2, Radeon 4850 and 5 hard drives, idles in Windows around that value - basically every few minutes, the power supply fan spins at a very low speed for about 10 seconds and then it stops again -I can't hear it when it starts spinning, it's that silent.

Your processor is much better at idle, it sips less power than this Q6600. The GTX580 probably uses less power than this 4850 at idle or just as much... you don't have 5 hard drives in your system like I do... so I think it's safe to say your system will be well under the "start fan" point at idle. But even if starts spinning, it's not full speed and probably it will be covered by the video card's cooler anyway.

As for the two models, they're almost identical, as it was explained above... Visually, I think the X-760 has slightly bigger heatsinks but the heat is actually dissipated by the casing, not by those heatsinks so I don't think it makes a big difference.

X-650:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=169
    X-760:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=235

See.. those aluminum blades are just a bit wider and with fins instead of just a piece of metal... other than this I guess there's some fine tuning regarding voltage regulation but it's really not that big of a deal, both versions are just as good.
    Good info. Cheers mate

The noise of the unit doesn't bother me too much to be honest as the PC is being sat right next to me on this table, so even quiet noises can be heard. It's just a plus that the Seasonic PSUs are near silent even with the fan running!

I gotta try and get myself into the habbit of gaming with headphones on though for more reasons than just the sound of the computer (I live in a hectic house!)