Thread: Help choosing a supply for my zacate nas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Help choosing a supply for my zacate nas.

I've been reading the reviews and I think I have an understanding of what I'm looking for but most of the threads on this subject seem to be 3 months to a year old.

I've built a small amd zacate based on the asrock e350 board and right now I have 3 seagate 1tb disks with room for 2 more as needed. The board has everything built in and I'm using an off brand atx case. Noise doesn't matter as its in the utility room.

The spec sheets for the drives show 6.7 watts during use and 5 w idle. Several reviews of my board show about 30 w under full load and around 18-20 idle. During full load from the numbers I'd be 50w upto 65ish if/when I add 2 more disks. Without going to a bigger chassis even if I add a pci expander and more disks I don't think I can break 100w under full load with this system.

Since this is on 24x7 I'm trying to find something that's efficient and reasonably priced:

Seasonic SS-250SU: 80+bronze: $62 shipped
    Seasonic SS-350ES: 80+bronze: $47 shipped

The other option I've noticed is there are a lot of dell branded 230-300 watt supplies that are 80+silver on ebay in the same price range. These all have weird shapes but I don't mind rigging one in. There are even some 80+gold at 235w for $60. Is this a good idea?

Is there another option I've missed? I'm looking at the pico psu with the fsp brick but it's getting into $70-$80 range and I don't know if there's any payback. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

You can usually get a Seasonic SS-300ET for around $40 or so, but it'll be quieter than those units, and a few dollars cheaper.

It's also 80+ Bronze, so slightly higher efficiency for you.

As for the Dell units you're seeing, you need to make sure that the ones you're looking at are not custom wired ones.
    Only a select few are for their SFF systems though. They're generally quiet and well built Delta PSU's.

EDIT: Another consideration is the Dell units usually have a low connector count. You'll usually have to add on a SATA connector or two to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm that's another good option.

Yea I've been looking more closely at the dells and it looks like it's going to need a bunch of adapters or a bunch of soldering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hmm that's another good option.

Yea I've been looking more closely at the dells and it looks like it's going to need a bunch of adapters or a bunch of soldering.
    Connectors don't require soldering, you can just buy SATA Punch connectors.

They don't cost much and require no tools to work (unless the wires have sleeves on them.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm again
    Just for reference http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dell-Optiple...-/200580129375 is the one I'm looking at since it's reasonably priced and new. Although it seems like dell replaced it with a new model that 80+silver under the same model number; but it's still a good value I think. I found a thread on silent pc but the poster there basically pulled it apart and rewired the whole thing into a standard atx supply chassis and replaced all the wiring and connectors.

It seems like there's only one regular sata power "line." Can the extra connectors still be added on the same 'line' using the punch connectors you're talking about assuming it's long enough and all of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Yeah, you could also make the line longer.

As long as their is space, and open wires, punch down connectors can be added.

As for that unit, it's only modification is the slime-line SATA power connector. Which is just 3.3v & Ground IIRC. You'll wanna snip it and cap it, because you probably won't use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The need for power supplies that do well in efficiency in the 0-150W range is getting greater and greater. I am surprised a big company hasn't started making a cheap power supply with some quality in the area. It seems like the best you can do for the money spent while retaining quality is usually a EA380D or CX430.

With the new Ivy Bridge CPUs coming out at 22nm, and Atoms at 32nm we will probably see some PCs idling below 20W. The options for efficient PSUs in this area is slim and even if they do exist you don't know what quality they have.