Thread: Review: Sentey Golden Steel Power GSP850-SM 850 Watt Power Supply

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Review: Sentey Golden Steel Power GSP850-SM 850 Watt Power Supply

Over at TweakTown, we have a review of a "new" unit from Sentey, an 850w with flat modular cables. I put the quotes around "new" because it appears to be built on Super Flower's Golden Green platform which is also behind the NZXT Hale90 (if I remember correctly). Here's the link:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/409...ew/index1.html

(is this one of Sentey's first forays in to the PSU market? I can't remember seeing any Sentey units before this one; a few cases, but no PSUs)
    Asus M4N72-E SLI; AMD Phenom II x4 955BE 3.20ghz w/ Spire ThermaxII Eclipse cooler; 6gb DDR2; 750gb+320gb+250gb SATA HDD; 2xDVDRW; Zotac GTX570; Topower PowerBird900; NZXT Beta EVO case; Win7x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Senty has other units as well, they're Super Flower and low end.

THey've only been in the US for a short while though.

Also, yeah, NZXT Hale90 is Super Flower Golden Green. Just like the Kingwin Lazer Gold, Rosewill Lightning, & another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After checking some pricing of other 80plus Gold rated units in the 800w-900w range, this Sentey appears to be priced about right, but it comes with a 7 year warranty which is impressive. It looks like overall prices for 800-1000w Silver/Gold rated units are really starting to drop to what I would consider acceptable levels.... finally! Then when you figure in a sweet warranty and flat modular cables, this Sentey (aka SuperFlower) unit starts to look pretty good (even though its performance isn't exactly stellar, it is pretty good and well within spec except for efficiency which is right on the line). However, if you don't want/need modular cables, and don't care if your PSU is 'generic grey', then I really think it's hard to beat the Seasonic SS-850HT- 850w, 80plus Silver, under $125USD. S W E E T ! ! ! (but this has nothing to do with the Sentey unit - I've had a beer or 4 and I'm thinking about great deals in higher wattage PSUs, and the 850HT is a great buy )
    Asus M4N72-E SLI; AMD Phenom II x4 955BE 3.20ghz w/ Spire ThermaxII Eclipse cooler; 6gb DDR2; 750gb+320gb+250gb SATA HDD; 2xDVDRW; Zotac GTX570; Topower PowerBird900; NZXT Beta EVO case; Win7x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm liking what SuperFlower is doing
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site. Yes, I'm a girl geek

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Over at TweakTown, we have a review of a "new" unit from Sentey, an 850w with flat modular cables. I put the quotes around "new" because it appears to be built on Super Flower's Golden Green platform which is also behind the NZXT Hale90 (if I remember correctly).
    Yes. In my review I point out the similarities between the Sentey, the NZXT Hale90 and the Kingwin Lazer Gold we also reviewed here. We also reviewed the actual Super Flower Golden Green. And yes.. the price is about $20 less than similar performance units.

We do reviews here too... as well as having forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We do reviews here too... as well as having forums.
    Yes, but you seldom come out and name the OEM directly.

I suppose that helps in getting review samples, but it doesn't make it obvious to the casual reader.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

Are you kidding? We always come out and name the OEM directly. You have to do more than read the last page... actually, we usually point it out on the last page too. Sometimes Wolf will say who the OEM is on the first page. I often wait until I open the unit up to point out who the OEM is.

The Sentey review is one of the occasions I point it out multiple times:

Note that Active PFC sticker. It's the same as the one on the SuperFlower Golden Green 800W Tazz just reviewed. That's where we've seen the vinyl pouch for the modular cables before too. Come to think of it, the "Warranty Void" and "Hi Pot Test Pass" stickers are the same too.
    As we open the unit up, we can see that it is certainly in fact a SuperFlower based unit. It's very much like the Kingwin Lazer Gold 850W and even more like the NZXT Hale90 850W.
    This power supply easily gets a "jonnyGURU Recommended", just like all of the other units we've recently reviewed that were manufactured by SuperFlower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, I stand corrected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts