0 Posts

Question need help with MSI GTX 260 installation

Processor - Amd Phenom X3 8650
    Motherboard - Asus-M3N78-EM
    RAM - Gskill 2gb DDR2
    GPU - MSI GTX 260 (216 cores)
    PSU - Corsair VX 550
    i want to know how to install MSI GTX 260
    is there any bios setting that needs to be changed while attaching graphic card
    to pcie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You shouldn't need to change anything. Just put the card into your system, connect the power cables from the PSU, boot up your PC, install the drivers for your operating system, and you should be good to go.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless you're currently using onboard video, then definitely no. Even if you are, it should detect the card in the slot and disable the onboard.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it should detect the card in the slot and disable the onboard.
    The BIOS will detect and set the PCIE as the primary.

However, if you want to save some watts, you need to disable the on board in the BIOS manually.

Otherwise, it just runs as back-up; just in case I guess.(even though you can't run a monitor off it.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    The BIOS will detect and set the PCIE as the primary.

However, if you want to save some watts, you need to disable the on board in the BIOS manually.

Otherwise, it just runs as back-up; just in case I guess.(even though you can't run a monitor off it.)
    how can i disable my onboard graphic card
    btw whenever i m playing Mass Effect 2 and spiderman shattered dimension it runs for 5 minutes without any problem
    and after that screen blacksout and game freezes for fews seconds and comes
    back again for 2 min and same thing happens again and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HTML Code:
    how can i disable my onboard graphic card
    Depends on the BIOS. With mine, you can make adjustments to the IGP, or disable it completely.

Some older boards do not have the option.

Regarding the freeze-ups, it sounds like an overheating issue. (graphics card)
    What is your ambient?

Amount of fans in the case etc. ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mY first thought is "only" 2 gb of ram is probably strangling CPU response time, this generation I believe worked best with more memory.
    There was also an issue with the "B2" stepping version of this CPU which hopefully does not apply.
    And just for lousy morale the Phenom X3 8650 (2.3 Mhz) runs on semi equal terms with an overclocked E4500 or stock E7200 for most gaming. It has strengths but reputed doesn't o'clock well either.
    Try to borrow some memory to try.
    OK.
    Quick scan of comments on Asus M3N780 EM. The board was power intensive, without a heat sink on the mosfets.
    OK 2
    the Phenom X3 8650 rus hot and power intensive too.
    Are you using the stock AMD cooler?
    No case is mentioned either.
    This could be a combination of poor cooling in your case exacerbated by the heat and air flow effects from the graphic card.
    Sooo...
    Please download CPUZ and Speed Fan [free] to monitor temperatures of CPU and GPU and fan rpm. You might try playing with the side off case and a desk fan blowing into case. This could confirm heat issues.
    On no basis whatever, but with good intent:
    1) determine if you have heat issues and where.
    2) may need to add aftermarket cooler and/or case fans. Possibly cooler case (don't panic, you could catch a shell shocker or Good Friday sale/ (I caught an NZXT Asgard II case for $30 shipped)
    3)there usually good heatsink coolers available for around $30, read lots of reviews carefully. Some of the best coolers from a few years ago are available used, sometimes very cheap especially if they need a fan. research fans, function, size, noise. Yate Loons are a beginning
    4)might's well replace heat sink paste, see if it helps. no need to spend a lot. just look at reviews (some coolers,maybe most DO NOT come with best paste
    5)there's no heat sink on the mosfets. Airflow may fix that (if it needs fixing).
    I think Enzotech offers a copper heatsink for that board, maybe the MST-88 [88MM between mounting hole centers (perpendicular not diagonal), about $15.
    6)easiest in my opinion, upgrade CPU to an Athlon II X3 435 for $70.

New CPU shrinks a core size, faster architecture, better graphic processing 2.9 Mhz and will seem faster and overclocks and may have a stable 4th core. You go from a 125 watt processor known to run hot to 95 watt that runs cool and will run well with the stock heatsink you have, processes memory more efficiently and is easily most cost effective processor you could choose.

I have built my castle in the air [hot air, possibly]

Your mission ! download monitoring software of choice, run games monitoring temperatures [ note software is notorious inaccurate in absolutes but close enough for this]
    Open side, use fan, does this help.

If you need further help ask, then choose the solution easiest for you.. oh my, round and ..

Confused?
    Last edited by walterm; 04-03-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: hardware junky 2) fergitted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

sorry About
    1)Ram ,i have 2 gb transcend @ 667Mhz and 2gb of GSKILL @ 800 mhz
    total of 4gb
    2)My cabinet is totally open, im using Amd normal heatsink and my normal cpu temp is 43 deg(speedfan)
    fan speed -5500 rpm
    but do you think that there may be problem with GTX 260
    because i was able to play Assassin creed Brotherhood in full graphical effect with rearly any problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Out of my depth here. I thought from your components list you were using two gb of memory.
    On my system Speed Fan also gives GPU temperatures. Looks like time for me to leave this to wiser heads.
    I am not familiar with the resource demands of one game over another.
    Some function best on absolute CPU speed, Some on multiple cores.
    Have you followed the BIOS advice?
    Luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    Out of my depth here. I thought from your components list you were using two gb of memory.
    On my system Speed Fan also gives GPU temperatures. Looks like time for me to leave this to wiser heads.
    I am not familiar with the resource demands of one game over another.
    Some function best on absolute CPU speed, Some on multiple cores.
    Have you followed the BIOS advice?
    Luck
    can you let me know how to change my Bios setting to disable onboard GPU
    my graphic card temp is 70 deg when i play Mass effect 2 and im also using RIVATUNER for GPU fan speed, i cannot change my CPU because im low on finance ,any other suggestion would be helpful thanks for your time