Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Designing a load machine for PSU testing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Designing a load machine for PSU testing

I want to build a load machine for PSU testing : Load it with resistive load, see how much it holds, test OCP OPP SCP, measure ripple an efficiency

The PSUs which are to be tested for now are Antec VP450 and others of similar specs : http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQwNw==

I have a preliminary design as for construction, as shown in the pictures below. The design mostly is :

Resistive loads built in an emptied enclosure of an old A/C, and use the fan of the A/C for cooling

All control is manual, using standard 10A mains switches (of the type used in appliances) connecting the loads to each rail. They limit each load unit to 10A max

The resistors are made of wire from heating elements (the type where the wire is wound on a ceramic sick and is easy to disassemble to take the wire). I will cut the wire to short segments so that it can be used at 3.3/5/12V (the entire heating element was meant to work on mains power)

The higher power load units are made of more than one resistor in parallel. The resistors are connected between pairs of threaded rods, and secured to the rods with nuts

The threaded rods (carrying current) are held to a construction of metallic drywall support members, and are isolated from the construction at each end with a piece of blank PCB. The earth (black) is isolated too to prevent mess-up in ripple measuring

To prevent heat from conducting along the rods (and melting isolation on the wires that connect the rods), each rod has heatsink on the end - a few sheet metal plates tightened to it. It is supposed to make the end of the rod (wherre the wire connects) cooler

The questions :

Do you have any improvement suggestions ? Cost cutting suggestions ?

The heating elements are meant to work on mains power, without fan. loaded at 750W / entire wire length, they get yellow-hot when working. If I load the wire at 1/4 that power (in W per length) , and cool it with a fan, how much hot it will be ?

Can I load it more than 1/4 the power without running into : 1. the wire changing resistance too much when hot, 2. heating to the extent that the heatsinks cannot deal with the heat and I melt isolation on the wires, 3. A/C fan with plastic blades (which pull air out so it gets the hot air) melts ?

Are those load levels good for testing the Antec VP450 and similar PSUs ?

12V1 : 25 / 50 / 4x100 W (2 / 4 / 4x8 A)
    12V2 : 25 / 50 / 4x100 W (2 / 4 / 4x8 A)
    5V : 5 / 10 / 20 / 3x40 W (1 / 2 / 4 / 3x8 A)
    3.3V : 3.3 / 6.6 / 13.3 / 3x26.6 W (1 / 2 / 4 / 3x8 A)
    5VS : 5 / 10 / 20 / 40 W (1 / 2 / 4 / 8 A)
    -12V : 3 / 6 W (0.25 / 0.5 A)

The high loads on 3.3V 5V and 5VS are to test OCP (I dont think an actual computer loads them that much)

Why are the OCP levels in the Antec VP450 so much higher than the actual current ratings (like 5V 15A rating 50A OCP) ?

A scenario I imagined, which I think is possible when there is no OCP on 5VS : Low quality mainboard has no fuse on USB power output. A mouse plugged in shorts out (due to stressed isolation where the cable enters the mouse) and takes short circuit current (which is not very high because of resistance of the thin wires). High current heats up the mouse's cable (and some mainboard tracks) and the melting cable (laying on papers etc) starts a fire. What you think ?

I want to test SCP. What type of switch or contact can I use (which takes the blow of closing the short circuit) which won't die from arcing / welding ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PSUs which are to be tested for now are Antec VP450 and others of similar specs : http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQwNw==
    We'll have a comparison then

One question:
    Does testing SCP even have a point if you test OCP, and from what I've learned here, OCP is likely to kick in quicker?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It does if the OCP is not present, and OPP is a bit slow...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to have this option : For example if I test a PSU without OCP, or if the load is too low to kick in OCP

About OCP : Does it kick immediately as you cross the limit, or there is a time/current curve (as in circuit breakers) ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It should cut immediately. But it's rarely set at what's actually stated on the sticker. Usually if it says 20A, the actual OCP trip point will be at least 23A, to allow for some tolerance/headroom...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The specs of that antec look like this :
    5V 15A / 50A OCP
    12V 18A / 27A OCP
    3.3V 24A / 50A OCP

Not overkill of a headroom ? why is that so ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Probably to handle transients and spikes better. The silicon in that PSU is certainly capable of handling those kinds of loads... Would be a waste to make the OCP limits too tight. The minor rail OCP is a bit too relaxed, though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does this mean that the PSU can be destroyed if I run it long enough just below the OCP values ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't think so. The 12V rail is actually capable of putting out that many amps. The minor rails aren't, but I imagine OVP or OTP would trigger in time to save the PSU.
    I also sincerely doubt you'd find a realistic way of pulling > 15A on 3.3V and > 25A on 5V rails...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is one : a "weak" short circuit, that has just enough resistance to keep tthe current under the OCP value

You can get one by cutting wires with sharp edge of the case