Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Buzz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Speaker Buzz

Hello all,

I've had a Logitech Z-530 5.1 speaker setup for just about five years now. Very recently, within the past month of so I've noticed a very stead, very annoying buzz coming out of the speakers. I hook up my headphones through the port on the "control" satellite speaker and no noise is apparent. I noticed when turning the main volume on the control speaker to about 80% and greater the buzzing gets crazy loud. Now, I've plugged in the speakers with nothing but just power and noticed there is a buzzing noise, albeit not as bad (it gets markedly worse when plugged into the PC). I've tried this on a brand new circuit I installed in the basement as well and the noise was persistent as ever. Now, I've tried everything with a completely different pair of speakers (plugging in just power) and the noise was similar. So...what could this be? Both pairs of speakers are most likely five years or older, could it be just a bad transformer in the subs? I'd just hate to get a new pair of speakers and find out the noise would still be there. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ground loop issue is always a possibility. Cables can always act like an antenna, picking up interference from nearby AC sources and such. Something failing in the speaker is always an option too
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    Ground loop issue is always a possibility. Cables can always act like an antenna, picking up interference from nearby AC sources and such. Something failing in the speaker is always an option too
    I did some research and did come across the ground loop deal and found some device that eliminates this. I got pretty excited because it was <$20 but then I realized that these only protect one line, leaving my sub/center and rears naked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Try another sound card if you haven't yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Try another sound card if you haven't yet.
    Hrm, haven't thought of that! Would using the headphone out on a couple different laptops I have laying around suffice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe - depends on how good the sound is on them. Onboard audio is rarely what I would call good quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe - depends on how good the sound is on them. Onboard audio is rarely what I would call good quality.
    Alrighty, I cranked up the volume knob to get that nice buzz when connected to the PC, unplugged audio cable, nice and quite, plugged into the laptop and was presented with a very slight buzz, much better in comparison when plugged into the PC. The laptop however wasn't plugged into the outlet in case that would make a difference. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Try muting the PC Speaker in the volume control, see if it lessens the buzz...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe - depends on how good the sound is on them. Onboard audio is never good quality.
    Fixed.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
    Fixed.
    I have an 'ehh' feeling as far as that's concerned, but I was tainted so to speak. A long time ago when Creative made their X gamer sound card (not the X-fi gamer, the one even before all that X-fi stuff) and I practically went through hell to make it somewhat work with all the features...the drivers...I must have uninstalled/reinstalled four or five times and the damn thing would still randomly lock up my system. I think it was the first computer component I ever returned (EDIT: I did forget to mention I was running 98SE which was probably the issue). Since then, for about seven years or so I've stuck with integrated audio since.

Back to the issue, well, I don't have a single clue as to what happened, but the buzz has disappeared as about 11:30PM last night. I can crank the volume knob to the max and there is a very, very slight crackle every now and then, but its at least ten times better than what it was. The last thing I did was plug the speaker system into a laptop to test the noise and plugged the cable back into the PC and left to go out for the night. I'm really confused now, but I guess the problem is solved, but the mystery remains