Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCZ StealthXstream 600 troubleshooting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OCZ StealthXstream 600 troubleshooting

I've had this power supply for about 3 years now. Recently the computer started shutting down during sessions of Call of Duty Black Ops after no more than 15 minutes of game play. Initially the computer just shut off and automatically restarted 5 times in a row. Then it would stay off and not respond to pressing the power button after about 2-5 minutes of off time. Did that another 5 or so times and then no response at all.

Decided to replace the power supply and the system is running properly again. Took the old PSU apart checked the fuse, and the only visual signs of issue seem to be these two capacitors in the pictures I have included. The tall cap on the edge of the board definitely traces to the 3.3 volt sense wire...and the other is located towards the center of the board in between two 12V transistors.

Would someone with some repair knowledge tell me the likely hood that my problem is just these caps based on the symptoms?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's bulging and on its way out. You definitely shouldn't use that PSU any longer.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think he was looking for specific diagnostic help. He's already replaced the unit in service.

I'm sorry, Legend, I'm useless without a circuit diagram. Perhaps some of the experts here can help.

http://www.badcaps.net/ sells replacement caps, along with the usual suspects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, sorry. Posting early in the morning.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can replace those caps....but the question then is, when are the other ones going to fail? You'll end up chasing bad caps after bad caps.....and how much is your time worth?

That power supply isn't worth fixing given its performance it had when new.....now, years of use later and every cap is probably at the edge of failure, the rest of the parts weren't good to begin with.

Junk it.
    A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'
    - Stephen Wright

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
    - Brooks Atkinson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still waiting for the first X-series died out of warranty and I want to fix it post That certainly won't be a junker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

look for all capxon 2200/6.3v. the two of them already bulged on your picture. maybe this unit have 3 or 4 this c(r)aps on its secondary. AND a small capacitor (100uF, 25v, capxon KF) labelled C41 near the switching mosfet.
    replace them. these caps are the most commonly fail on OCZ stealthxtream.

i usually use panasonic FC / Nichicon PL /PW 2200/6.3v (they have slight bigger diameter) and NCC KY 100uF/25v

maybe you want to check the capacitor at -(minus) 12v rail

other caps like teapo 1000/16v ost 2200/16v rarely fail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just replace every aluminum electrolytic except the bulk cap. It's possible for them to die without visible signs of failure, and the cost of shipping makes the shotgun approach much cheaper if you don't have an inventory of this stuff sitting around.

All you really need is a usable 40~60W iron (not necessarily grounded) and some braid. Besides that, you can follow the instructions for recapping motherboards on the badcaps.net main page verbatim. It's not rocket science, but it takes patience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ipo3nk View Post
    ... AND a small capacitor (100uF, 25v, capxon KF) labelled C41 near the switching mosfet.
    Sorry to bump such an old post, but I just got done repairing mine and it was the C41 capxon 100uF/25v. It was showing a little bulge out the bottom, and only measured at 44uF. My 12&5v were jumpy at about half voltage, but all other voltages were fine. Now with a new C41 it's all solid. The other capxon caps tested good and were were not bulged or leaking yet.

Quote Originally Posted by C'DaleRider View Post
    You can replace those caps....but the question then is, when are the other ones going to fail? You'll end up chasing bad caps after bad caps.....and how much is your time worth?

That power supply isn't worth fixing given its performance it had when new.....now, years of use later and every cap is probably at the edge of failure, the rest of the parts weren't good to begin with.

Junk it.
    I disagree with you. Only about 1/3 of the caps are capxon. It's totally worth reparing. It's a nice PSU. Not saying it's the best thing out there, but for sure worth a few new caps.
    These guy's seem to like it, they tested it at over 700watts.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/451/10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's totally worth reparing.
    to each their own. For my time and money, there are a shed load of very high quality gold and PLAT rated units that will out perform it in every respect at significant levels....

A $300 unit that can still run your quad-SLI platform...then yeah, some repair work is in order.

Something that can be replaced for $60 with something twice as good and a new 5 year warranty.....not so much.

Well, $80 if you really need the wattage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182262

However, I seldom see people with 600 watts that really need more than the 450 watts..

From your link. Efficiency 80 to 83% when new. regulation 3%
    VS. new at 88-92% ...The power savings over the next 5 years pays for it not even counting the aggravation and risk to your other investments (CPU, GPU, MB, etc. etc.)

False economy....good skill to have in case of the zombie apocalypse...but not a great use of your time otherwise. JMHO...
    Last edited by mdk777; 10-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.