Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: custom gaming rig review... help... please...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Actually, SATA 3 is just a marketing gimmick in HDDs. No mainstream HDD is capable of exceeding 300 MB/s, except for bursts, which yield virtually no meaning for real world performance.
    Well, yeah, interface throughput is the least advantage.

The biggest advantage to the WD Black SATA III drives over the WD Black II is double the onboard cache, which does have a real-world affect on performance, both benchmarks and average usage profiles that contribute heavily to user perception of system responsiveness.

As to the meaning of SATA III itself on a HDD, I am more concerned with the performance and reliability of the 4K sectors that comes along with it. Larger sectors contribute to lower latencies and higher throughput, due to less ECC code being executed. In addition less of the disk is used for ECC code than 512 byte sector disks, which may not mean much to the user buying in any given size increment, but it does mean something to throughput. Less bytes of (otherwise useless) ECC code is read per revolution, so at 7200 RPM, more bytes of real data are read leading to correspondingly higher throughput.

The result of larger cache, higher data density, and lower controller overhead all contribute several percent each to the performance of the HDD. This may not be much compared to say, just about any good SSD, but on a relatively slow device as the modern HDD, each increase can be much more tangible to the user than, say, the speed difference between a good SSD and a great SSD.

SSDs, and only the newest ones, are where SATA3 matters.
    The differences in performance are only incremental, but the advantages I listed above are available in WD Black SATA III drives for no real cost increase versus other brand SATA II drives... so why not?

I see no problem with Samsung F3.
    Even if the drives are fine, the poor RMA support, lack of SMART software, and lack of free imaging software is enough to put Samsung into the "why bother?" class for me.

-HF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomoyo View Post
    HDD's just come down to what noise/vibration you're looking for, what rpm, and which ones work well for certain workloads.
    Noise/vibration was a big selling point for the F1's, and a reason why the noisier F2's weren't so popular and didn't last long on the marketplace. Not sure about the F3's or coming F4's.

As for certain workloads, the combination of lower latency and higher throughput pretty much covers the gamut.

This discussion reminds me of arguments of why not buy an AGP motherboard, since it wasn't saturated yet, and PCIe was unproven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't argue with you - I should have thought that out better. Today's standard drives don't take full advantage of that bandwidth. The new hybrids might be something to look into, however. Seems like a promising compromise until the prices for SSDs come down significantly. I would still look for the larger 64Mb buffer, however.

noise/vibration
    A good case can help suppress that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the question remains:
    Do OP ever comment again on these threads, or are they merely posted as a Rorschach test; probing the subconscious of this community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certainly, like I'm sure, like, totally, ya know,,
    Flashback, I like Viewsonic and Asus as preferred monitors, three year warranties and good customer service. YMMV.
    Plan for a 60 gb SSD when and if you can, reportedly the best gaming speed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While considering, any thoughts on HHd mountings? or HDD coolers?
    Sata III necessitates Sata III cables, which can mean hunting for low prices..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a new one to me. I know people who have SATA3 drives and used old cables without any issues. New "audiophilesque" business?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sata III necessitates Sata III cables
    Ummm, I don't think so either. Quality cables, but not special cables. Perhaps there is some confusion with eSATA drives, some of which need special eSATAp cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may be mixed up here. Sata I and II are available for about a $1 each without latches.
    Then there are one latch cables. These are data cables.
    SATA III come with latches on both connectors, and if I understand correctly, seven conductors instead of four.
    OPPS. Both use four live/three ground wires. Apologies.
    The two latch connectors seem to be priced from $3 to $11 each shipped.
    A review of articles shows cables backward and forward compatible. Sigh.
    Trying to pay attention to every detail, while still learning what questions to ask.
    How important are the cable latches?
    They offer security but you can beat up sockets reaching to release latches. Opinions please!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    While considering, any thoughts on HHd mountings? or HDD coolers?
    HDD coolers are completely unnecessary in a case with good airflow. If you are concerned you can put the HDD in the front of the case near an air inlet, or better yet, behind the 120mm input fan.

If you are building a Small Form Factor PC and relying on the P/S or convection for airflow, and still have room for a drive-hugging HDD cooler fan, it may make sense.

2.5" SSD's need something to hold them down in a 3.5" world. That something can be as little as a few cable ties or a velcro strap.

Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    My new Asus AMD M/B came with two SATA III cables. I think the latches are mandatory for SATA III. They matter primarily to vendors who sell pre-assembled PC's via bump-and-drop shipping services. I have found them useful in preventing (or making obvious) accidental ham-handed SATA disconnections when I'm in the PC for other reasons.