Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: custom gaming rig review... help... please...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default custom gaming rig review... help... please...

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
    -$199

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Acer H243Hbmid 24" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 40000:1 Dynamic, 2ms, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Energy Star, Tilt Mount, HDCP, w/ Speakers
    -$200
    what video card should i get? i want a pretty good one to play games on verry high setting and be able to crossfire or whatever so i could buy another one later when games come out in the future with better graphics.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    i was at first gonna go with this hard drive but thought it might be better to buy a fast rpm internal hard drive and a bigger capacity external hard drive. i wasn't sure though if i could like store games on the external and play them using the faster hard drive or shome shit like that i dont really know what im talking about. sugestions on what hard drive or drives is hould buy would be cool

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case OR Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case not sure which i should get
    -$99

ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    -$18.99

are these parts all compatable and what should i change with my setup. and how much power does my psu need and what one should i buy. i heard new egg is where i should get my parts so yeeee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You need to determine what Graphics card/cards you will be looking at before you can determine the correct Power Supply. The wattage requirement spread is just too huge otherwise.

To give you some idea see the sites bellow:

Today I would be looking at the AMD 6950 and the NV GTX 560 as the best bang for the buck, on frames/dollar and frames per watt.
    However, it all depends on your budget, and the games/applications you intend to run.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...60-ti-review/4
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1533/17/
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...dition/26.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For gaming rig Phenom X6 makes little sense. OTOH it's decently powerful rendering procesor. Either save and go X4 955, or step up to i5-760 + mobo like Gigabyte P55A-UD3 or Asus P7P55D-E LX (I suggest those, as they have USB 3.0 + SATA3, like the Asrock you picked, which means they're as future proof as far as "dead platform" goes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Newegg is certainly one place you should check out. I buy most of my hardware from there. Be sure to factor in shipping before deciding who has the best prices.

I don't see an operating system listed. Note that only the full "retail" versions of Windows are transferable from another computer. System Builder/OEMs and Upgrades to OEMs are not transferable. If no valid license, a new Windows license will need to be purchased, or you can use one of the many free and capable Linux alternatives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had a problem using an OEM OS on a different machine, never at the same time though.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you end up with a larger graphics card you may run into problems with the Scout - esp. if the power plugs are on the ends and not the side. The handle is really nice though and the cooling is good. I would take a look at these cases at the $100 price point before you make a decision:

Cooler Master HAF 922
    Cooler Master 690 II
    Lian Li/Lancool PC-K62
    NZXT Tempest Evo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had a problem using an OEM OS on a different machine, never at the same time though.
    It will install and work, it is just not legal by the terms of the EULA we agree to when we start using the product. OEMs are tied to the "original equipment" and are not legally transferable. That's one reason they are cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    It will install and work, it is just not legal by the terms of the EULA we agree to when we start using the product. OEMs are tied to the "original equipment" and are not legally transferable. That's one reason they are cheaper.
    guess what? all it takes is a phone call to microsoft, a friendly CSR will walk you through the re-activation process and you're in business. The transferred OEM OS will pass the Windows Validation with flying colors. And that was only if the OS was reinstalled within a year of a previous activation.

Granted, this was with Windows XP, perhaps Vista and 7 are different.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The OP asked about EULA where again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not saying they won't do it. I am saying the terms of the OEM license require a new license for new computers. If you call up Microsoft and are truthful and tell them you are building a new computer and you have an OEM license from an old computer, then fine. If you omit that information, that is deceit by fraud.