Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgin Builder seeks advice!

I live by the Big River, in the middle of nowhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default P.S. (u)

Oh btw. I know the X series is pricey AND overkill for the system as it stands now, mb the 560 over the 650? There's only a $20 dollar difference right now tho, so why not go all out? Did I mention I want 80+ Gold, or as close as I can get to it? Efficiency is a big deal right now to me, our power bill is nucking futs!

-FD
    "Dave?... Dave's not here...!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can get windows 7 for $100.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754
    i would recommend a WD hard drive over samsung hard drives. WD drives tend to be quieter and more reliable, while Samsungs are usually a little faster. However, any drive from either Samsung or WD will serve you well, just avoi seagate, maxtor, and hitachi.

any psu from a good brand like seasonic, antec, or corsair will do a good job. for cheape units look at the antec basiq power series (the 550w version is actually quite decent), and corsair's cx(builder) series.

any cheapo optical drive will do. but pretty much every single samsung optical drive i have owned and seen at work have the same issue: stuck trays that wont open.

the radeon hd 5770 and the nvidia 460 are good medium-$ graphics cards. the radeon hd cards are definitely much quieter, cooler-running, and less power hungry, but probably a tiny bit less performance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been jumped on for buying refurbished psu's, directron has PC Power and Cooling Silent 610 Refurbished with one year warrantee for about half price shipped $65 if I have it right and its still there. Prices availability vary a lot.
    Monitor wise, I prefer Viewsonic or Asus for their three year warranttees, and quality.
    But I went pricier LED. Watch for weekly egg especials.
    Last I looked Consumer Reports liked the HannsG monitors around 20 inch.
    Luck all around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops thanks for pointing that out, I've heard good things about windoze 7
    Well, I think it is the best Windows yet - by far. Executive Suite sound more like an Office version and not Windows 7. Most home users do well with Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Home Professional. If you need multi-language support, you may need Ultimate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Home premium for homes, professional is for people who need the true-xp mode and domain access, it's less good for homes as it loses media centre features.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The only true-XP mode is dual boot to XP. XP mode is simply a virtual machine, no better than the ones offered by Oracle or VMWare...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    The only true-XP mode is dual boot to XP. XP mode is simply a virtual machine, no better than the ones offered by Oracle or VMWare...
    Except it already comes with an XP license along with some cross-OS integration.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Negligible integration, which can be done through VM start-up scripts in 30 seconds. License? I did mention dual-boot, thus implying the possession of a valid XP license... The "free" one that comes with M$'s VM doesn't make a difference in that case.

Most people need XP for gaming, and I challenge you to show me any VM that supports 3D gaming. Sure, there is some amount of productivity software (AutoCAD 2006 and earlier, for example) that doesn't work on Win 7, but if you can't afford an upgrade to a supported version, you're not really all that productive...

I live by the Big River, in the middle of nowhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've gotten a (100% legal!) copy of windows 7 pro through my work, so no worries there. Now let's stay on topic, guys; don't let this thread degenerate into a virtual pissing contest. Considering my motherboard requires at least a 300w PSU, I plan on doing some mild overclocking, and in the future I may add a second graphics card in SLI, I still am no closer to figuring out what wattage of PSU to get. Here's what i'm considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151088

PSU's that are under 600 watts don't have enough 6 pin connectors for two of these;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127512

....of course i won't need two unless i plan on getting multiple monitors as well, hoo boy wouldnt that be sweeet!

-FD
    "Dave?... Dave's not here...!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FakeDave View Post
    (...) As luck would have it, my buddy is upgrading and will be hooking me up with his old Asus M3N78-VM board and dual core AMD 2.8g black ed. (...)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeDave View Post
    (...) Considering my motherboard requires at least a 300w PSU, I plan on doing some mild overclocking, and in the future I may add a second graphics card in SLI, I still am no closer to figuring out what wattage of PSU to get. (...)
    300W for a GF8200 mATX Motherboard?