Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Virgin Builder seeks advice!

I live by the Big River, in the middle of nowhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Status report, with pics! :)

Hey guys, here's a status report:

I've got the case, power supply, HD, and Optical drive,
    but still a couple days before the motherboard and CPU + GPU gets here so I thought I'd stop and take a few messy 'before' pics...
    Please note the pill bottles have different screws and the thermal compound, etc. in them, and the prescriptions were/are legal. :P

I ordered a cheap dust filter cover but it didn't cover the gaps completely, so I sandwiched some cut-to-fit carbon prefilter, from an air purifier I have. I used some nuts and bolts from an old erector set, and new black rubber washers left from a plumbing job. Can you tell I'm into recycling?!

I'm going to experiment with the fans to see what will give me a positive airflow in the case (I need serious protection from dust and cat hair.)

A little black cover-up paint, and I think it's pretty low-profile. Can't wait to get the rest in!

...more to come soon!

-FD
    "Dave?... Dave's not here...!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking tasty already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol Thanks Walterm, flashy windows and LED lights aren't really my style, although it was tempting while deciding on two fans for the front. I think some scythes and a webcam are for the next order. Monitor can wait for last, in the meantime I need to get this toaster fired up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up cooling hypothesis

My hypothesis is that with keeping the stock rear and top fan on low, and the front fans hooked up to motherboard control, it should be cool and quiet enough for everyday use. If more cooling is needed for gaming then I could just run it off the 4 pin psu chain and if I go top of the line and get gentle typhoons it wouldn't be too loud and move a Heluva lot of air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fan bays

One thing that has impressed me with this case are the fan bays in front.

The bays are sturdy and swing out, also lift off easily. The depth for clearance to the hard drive nearby is approx. 1.5 in. = 38mm so any standard 25 mm fan should work fine.

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the Antec 300 case. Got two of them myself (though packed away in boxes while I'm homeless ATM ). They're basic but very functional and the cooling capacity with front fans installed is great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your current lack of home, elle(dan). Someday i'll have another room in the attic, but right now it's a bat roost. I am glad I didn't opt for anything cheaper in a case. Besides the fan bays, I also really like the replaceable rear slot covers, and other features. I needed to tweak it some, like rotating the big fan on top 90 degrees to make cable management easier, and the side vent fix. I might punch a cpl holes in the mbd tray to run cables, but i'll wait to see what i can muster without resorting to power tools and violence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FakeDave View Post
    Sorry to hear about your current lack of home, elle(dan). Someday i'll have another room in the attic, but right now it's a bat roost.
    I'll help you fix it up!
    I am glad I didn't opt for anything cheaper in a case. Besides the fan bays, I also really like the replaceable rear slot covers, and other features. I needed to tweak it some, like rotating the big fan on top 90 degrees to make cable management easier, and the side vent fix. I might punch a cpl holes in the mbd tray to run cables, but i'll wait to see what i can muster without resorting to power tools and violence.
    Yeah, cheaper than the 300 and quality starts going down the drain. The Antec 200 is the gaudy version of the 300 yet only saves you a few bucks. Everything else in that price range and below is made from flimsy metal, lacks cooling options and generally just sucks unless all you're using it for is a basic budget system for mom or gramps

As for cable management... The Antec 900 II is kind of nice for that, the 300 just doesn't have the space for it. Good thing it's a closed case, I guess