Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgin Builder seeks advice!

I live by the Big River, in the middle of nowhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Virgin Builder seeks advice!

Guten Tag, Gurus!

I'm a first-timer, my exp. includes RAM upgrades (cough, *n00b*) but I've got a wedding coming up in May and my fiance' (the boss!) wants a photo booth at the reception. Since we're doing everything ourselves, I'm using it as an excuse to build us a photo-snappin' PC that's compatible with this century! As luck would have it, my buddy is upgrading and will be hooking me up with his old Asus M3N78-VM board and dual core AMD 2.8g black ed. All I need is everything else, on a budget of about $500. I'd also like to take advantage of my high speed internet and get back to gaming with the old-time Rogue Spear crew! Some of them are still playing Bad Company 2, so I want enough hardware to get me there. Here's where I'm at so far, any comments would be most appreciated.

Case: After a lot of internet research, I've ordered an Antec 300 case that had a rebate going with 'egg. Puts it around $45, still has a lot of features without looking like a blue gaming monster.

PSU: I'm still stuck on a power supply. Since efficiency and future upgrades are important to me, I was going to go for Seasonic's X-650, largely based on OKWolf's review. Now I'm seeing some reviews about this case having problems fitting PSU's that aren't Antec. I'm open to whatever, really, as long as it's a good long term investment. Any help here concerning what wattage i need would be esp. nice.

GPU: The Asus has built in graphics that will do for the short term, but I will need a decent card in order to join the 'bad company'. That I can save up for. Any recommendations on something that's a good value?

HD: I'm still going back and forth btw. WD black caviar and samsung spinpoint F3. Ideally would like 1tb and the Asus board supports 3gb/sec sata. Also had me thinking about setting up a RAID1 with a cpl units just in case a drive fails, which I've seen a lot of horror stories about from all brands. Hell i'd like a three or four HD setup or SSD but this may be biting off more than I can chew right now, plus I need to stay under budget.

Optical: I'm going to go with a LITE-ON combo drive with lightscribe, why not? As my buddy says, "they're cheap as chips, mate."

Monitor: Still looking for the best deal under $100 that's LCD.

Input: Thinking about a wireless mouse and keyboard, the boss's request. Any good ones out there, relatively cheap?

Webcam: Required for the 'booth', anyone know a good deal?

I know this is a long post, so thanks in advance to all who read this and put their two-cents in!

-FD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSU: The X-650 is expensive and way more than you need. Yes, it's an excellent PSU, but since this is a budget build, I recommend going cheap and getting something like an Antec NEO ECO 520W. It's still a good PSU, and it's considerably less expensive than the X-650 so you'll have more money to put into your other components.

GPU: Take a look at the ATI Radeon HD 5770, nVidia GTS 450, or if you can afford it, the best budget option would be a 768MB GTX 460. You should be able to find something decent for under $150.

HDD: The F3 is better. Alternatively, you could spend a little more and get the 2TB F4, which is about equally fast.

Optical: I've heard about reliability issues with Lite-On drives, In any case, I'd go with a Samsung if I were you. They're all pretty cheap, so why take the chance?

Monitor: If you want something decent, I'd allocate more than $100 for this. Wait around for a good deal on a 21.5" or higher monitor from Dell (make sure you get one with a native resolution of 1920x1080). You're not going to get something amazing for that price, but you should be able to easily find a decent 1080p display for $150 or less.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Should've taken a Xigmatec Asgard II, but oh well.

NEO ECO 620C for $45 shipped (after MIR).

MSi currently offers best bang/buck in the graphics department

For your optical drive, take a Samsung SH-S223L/B/F but not 223C.

+1 for the Spinpoint F3 or F4 (F3 is marginally more agile)

How about the C310 for a webcam idea?

And as for the monitor... No idea, I just can't recommend a TN panel. *VA and *-IPS based ones start at around $250, so... Yeah. Sorry...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There have been deals from Newegg on Antec PSUs of late, some people have grabbed up TPN550s for $60 and have mail in rebates on top.
    The Antec 300 will fit any regular ATX power supply, I built one last year for a friend with an OCZ ModXStream 700 in it.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    Should've taken a Xigmatec Asgard II, but oh well.
    I was thinking, why can't I find this on the egg? Ah, 'cause it's SOLD OUT. Could be why I've never seen it before. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    -FD
    "Dave?... Dave's not here...!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a bad deal at all. The Basic Power are... just that, basic. It'll certainly do the job, and the GTS450 is a fine card.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a better one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=antec%20400w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127512

Note, that if you deal with rebate, it's about the same price as that combo deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see an OS listed there - unless your buddy is giving you the OEM license that is tied to that motherboard, or you have a "retail" license you can transfer to that computer, you will need to buy a new Windows license, or use of the many and capable Linux alternatives.

If you will be upgrading to a graphics card in the near future, it would be best to decide now which card you want, and then pick out the PSU that will meet your needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    I don't see an OS listed there -
    Dige-

Oops thanks for pointing that out, I've heard good things about windoze 7, and my fiance' can get it at education pricing right now (under a hundred), she may have the name wrong but I think she said the 'executive suite'- I honestly haven't done much checking into software yet. We've always got XP to fall back on.

As for the GPU/PSU debate, I really like the looks of the 'cyclone' GTX-460 card from MSi (thx for the link, McSteel!). It takes two 6pins for one card, and eventually if I decide to SLI two of them together later, I will need a PSU with (4) 6pin connectors. To get that many connections, you've got to start in the higher wattage range. Once again I'm liking the ss-x650. I'm planning on using this chassis/PSU until the next big thing comes along 5 even 10 years from now, and I want a PSU that's beefy enough to handle some overclocking in the future.

Great helps guys, keep it comin'!

-FD