Thread: Desktop advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Desktop advice

I want to ask your opinion about this desktop system :

Cpu : i5 760
    Cpu cooler : i have several options here and very low noise is very important :
    (option 1) : Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B + 1 Nexus 120mm fan
    (option 2) : Thermalright HR-02 + 1 Nexus 120mm fan
    (option 3) : Cooler Master Hyper 212+ + 1 Nexus 120mm fan
    Mother Board : i think i should buy an Asus lga1156 with many fan connectors so that i will be able to control all the fans in the case with SpeedFan software. All MB-s support 5-6 LAN-s ? .. as i intent to have 5-6 diffent internet connections from different ISP-s
    Ram : 8Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3-SDRAM of whatever Ram with small CL i can find
    Hdd : i have several options and low noise is again important :
    (option 1) : Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ 320GB SATA 7200RPM
    (option 2) : Samsung F2 EcoGreen
    (option 3) : Seagate Barracuda 500 GB,5900rpm
    Psu : Seasonic X-400 Fanless or SeaSonic X-460FL 460W Fanless (and i think they are modular too). I do not know if you can tell if this 2 Psu-s have compatibility with the other components
    Case : i think i should need a bottom Psu case like Fractal R3 / Fractal Design R2 with Nexus 120mm fans which will be conected to the Asus MB. I think Fractal allows me for 5-6 Lan-cards..right ?
    Video card : i think any very silent 512Mb card + silent cooler (with 1 fan i guess) should be enough for my needs. Which one of this options you think its the best :
    (option 1) : Radeon HD4670 512MB GDDR3 from Sapphire/Asus/Gigabyte/Msi .. around $80
    (option 2) : Radeon HD4770 512MB GDDR5 from His/Msi/Asus/Gigabyte/Saphire..around $129
    (option 3) : GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 from Msi/Asus/Gigabyte/Evga/Zotac/Gainward .. around $106

I will not over-clock any component from the system and i will not play in any game that needs any very good Video card. But the pc will have several virtual machines installed and will run many hours per day and i need it very stable and also very silent. I wait for your advices. Thank's
    Last edited by vuiu; 02-05-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's a lot of things that won't go together the way you'd hope, and it's nearly unrecoverable
    Case : i think i should need a bottom Psu case like Fractal R3 / Fractal Design R2 with Nexus 120mm fans which will be conected to the Asus MB. I think Fractal allows me for 5-6 Lan-cards..right ?
    Well first of all you shouldn't be using a tower case of any normal construction if you intend to use a fanless power supply. These are more designed for desktop style HTPC cases.
    Psu : Seasonic X-400 Fanless or SeaSonic X-460FL 460W Fanless (and i think they are modular too). I do not know if you can tell if this 2 Psu-s have compatibility with the other components
    With a bottom mount PSU case, your power supply will effectively bake everything above it, this includes your motherboard, video card and CPU, making them run hotter if not to the point of failing.

Sapphire Radeon HD4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 .. around $117
    whoa, where in the world did you find a 4870 x2 for $117? if it's refurb or used, stay away!

(option 1) : Radeon HD4670 512MB GDDR3 from Sapphire/Asus/Gigabyte/Msi .. around $80
    (option 2) : Radeon HD4770 512MB GDDR5 from His/Msi/Asus/Gigabyte/Saphire..around $129
    (option 3) : GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 from Msi/Asus/Gigabyte/Evga/Zotac/Gainward .. around $106
    well this is sure confused looking.... old and new and slow and fast and not silent at all... I still wouldn't pick up Sapphite, MSI, or Zotac though, and Gainward just hasn't been as good as they used to be. Keep in mind that the fan on any of your selected video cards will be whining at full blast being nuked by the passive power supply sitting underneath them.

Did you pick those samsung hard drives because they were supposed to be quiet or cheap? Because I wouldn't touch those drives with a 10ft pole for speed or reliability

Before I go any further, as we'll have to change a lot around, what is your goal for this system? what do you intend to do with it? where are you getting your parts from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With a bottom mount PSU case, your power supply will effectively bake everything above it, this includes your motherboard, video card and CPU, making them run hotter if not to the point of failing.
    That's nothing short of ridiculous, where did you get that from? Especially when PSU is mounted with fan (or, in this case, venting holes) facing down and there are intake fans on the front. I would go for X-560/650 anyway, even IF it spins up, it's highly unlikely that you'll have it louder than your video card.

Fanless Seasonic will probably be too weak for 4870x2 (and no way in hell you'll have it silent, unless you WC it), so you can rule this one out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's nothing short of ridiculous, where did you get that from? Especially when PSU is mounted with fan (or, in this case, venting holes) facing down and there are intake fans on the front. I would go for X-560/650 anyway, even IF it spins up, it's highly unlikely that you'll have it louder than your video card.
    I'm referring to the PSU's of the FANLESS type. Have you ever used a fanless PSU before? Every signle one I've used gets hot, especially when pushed to load. When convection is your method of cooling, it's going to heat up anything above it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you overheat your components by PSU, you have some craptacular airflow in your case, period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you overheat your components by PSU, you have some craptacular airflow in your case, period.
    And building a computer based in craptacular airflow is no way to start out, at least IMO.

There's a reason seasonic packed this supply with specific warnings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Seasonic fanless PSUs will not cause the other components in a system to overheat. Obviously some extra heat will be dumped into the case. However, it won't be nearly enough to cause actual problems providing there is some airflow in the case. Keep in mind that most of the other components of a PC can withstand much higher temperatures than the PSU is rated for.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

perhaps I always build for worst cases scenarios a bit too much.
    I live in Arizona and always try to build a rig that while quiet will still function properly when the AC goes out, every vent hole might as well be plugged up with dust, the case is on carpet, the user bought a desk with a built in wood burning sauna, etc

I should lay off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cprossu View Post
    Well first of all you shouldn't be using a tower case of any normal construction if you intend to use a fanless power supply. These are more designed for desktop style HTPC cases.
    Fractal R3 / Fractal Design R2 cases are not bottom Psu cases ? + i see that Seasonic x-400 has a very good review here http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory5&reid=200

Quote Originally Posted by Cprossu View Post
    Before I go any further, as we'll have to change a lot around, what is your goal for this system? what do you intend to do with it? where are you getting your parts from?
    I will have 6 virtual machines installed and i want each one of them to have its own IP address so i thought one option can be to have 6 Ethernet Lan cards, each one coresponding to a different Isp connection. Is this option good ?
    Each virtual machine will have around 10Gb disk space..so 60Gb will be enough for all of them.I will give each virtual machine 1Gb of Ram memory..so 6Gb of Ram will be enough for all of them so having 8Gb of Ram + 1hdd (even with 320Gb) should be ok ?
    Beside what i wrote above..i want my desktop to be as quite as posible (i will not play any game that will require any good video card..and i will not overclock any component..so 400W..or 460W seasonic Psu should be enough ?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vuiu View Post
    Fractal R3 / Fractal Design R2 cases are not bottom Psu cases ?
    They are. Like I said before, you don't need to worry. He was just being overly paranoid.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.