Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XFX Core Edition 650W & 750W Pro Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Arrow XFX Core Edition 650W & 750W Pro Review

It's February of 2011 and the competition in the power supply arena is fierce. You've got the likes of Silverstone, Corsair, and Antec to name but a few all fighting a war for your dollars while at the same time doing their level best to crank out good units. XFX would like to get in on that action. Today, I'm looking at not one but two units in the new Core Edition series. These are fully wired units rated at 80 Plus Bronze that promise a lot of performance at not a lot of money. Will they be strong enough to win the war? I'm going to get to the bottom of that question right now.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=216

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm. Same price as the Bronze rated True Power New 650W that I just bought (even the current newegg special price is the same), and the Antec is Modular. And, the TPN has a sensible OCP on all 4 twelve volt rails.

Personally, I don't need SmartRail(tm) because I am intelligent enough to plug the modular plugs into different rails. Come to think of it, I don't think I could get that wrong on a TPN if I wanted to.

I do know, if you pull 30 or 40A or more on a single cable chain, you'll smoke off the insulation. I don't consider that to be very smart(rail(tm)).

So, no thanks XFX, not interested in your arc welder and its hype. You have a tough sell with a non-modular power supply in this price bracket even without the single rail non-OCP issue. Even with good specs, your competitors are already there with better offerings.

-HF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, at least it isn't StupidRail(tm)... Looks good to me, I did actually seriously consider one of these for my upgrade, but the draw of modular and the tiny extra cost (tiny compared to trying to hide a tentacle monster) just did it for me.
    The output results are outstanding.
    Is it me? Or should buyers be looking at bronze and silver rated units for the best ripple and regulation?
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Regulation probably yes, ripple - not so much. Increasing efficiency decreases the max number of reasonably priced components you can use, since their own inefficiency quickly stacks up. There's only so much that a lower number of smaller, low RDS(on) transistors and smaller coils can do to keep the voltage stable across a wide range of loads... Ripple, on the other hand, is more easily managed, trough switching frequency adjustments and better caps.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HAHA!

Actually, you went somewhat too far in your counterexamples against Easy-Rail, as there are enough multi rail units which are not exactly well designed. Examples:

Delta built Chieftec GPS 400/450W - promises 348W@2 +12V rails, rail 1 - 168W, rail 2 -180W, result: it can't handle 6950@6970, PC shuts down frequently.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - this one came to my mind after you mention FOUR GPUs running off 600W PSU. This one will have a problem with TWO, since it has all modular cables (PCI-E and molexes for adapters, if dealing with, say, GTX 460) on one rail and the limit is 25A.

OCZ Fatal1ty 750W - Nuff said

Who does it right? Antec IMO did it best with HCP-850.

Too bad we don't really have those older XFXs where I live, when a batch of 650Ws hit the retailers for about the same price as TX650, word got out quickly and they got sold out within a month or less.

There's only so much that a lower number of smaller, low RDS(on) transistors and smaller coils can do to keep the voltage stable across a wide range of loads...
    Doesn't fiddling with PWM controller have an impact as well?
    Increasing efficiency decreases the max number of reasonably priced components you can use, since their own inefficiency quickly stacks up.
    OTOH, you can connect them in parallel to split the current flowing through them, and make sure they're cooled well enough. Which is what makers been doing for a while

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Even with all that, you hit a wall at around Silver. After that, you're looking at giving up some regulation tightness if you want more efficiency... This goes for today's standard designs, unless SF or SS prove me wrong with their SF-1000P14PE and SS-1000KM, respectively... I'm mentioning kW units because tight regulation is easier to get on lower powered units. I believe that a fresh idea and a new approach is needed, if we are to have stricter tolerances on ultra-efficient units.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then again, you can always switch to FM. Which will obviously increase the cost further.

And worry not, this unit has Bronze + fantastic regulation @12V. And 750W isn't exactly "low powered"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Actually, you went somewhat too far in your counterexamples against Easy-Rail, as there are enough multi rail units which are not exactly well designed. Examples:

Delta built Chieftec GPS 400/450W - promises 348W@2 +12V rails, rail 1 - 168W, rail 2 -180W, result: it can't handle 6950@6970, PC shuts down frequently.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - this one came to my mind after you mention FOUR GPUs running off 600W PSU. This one will have a problem with TWO, since it has all modular cables (PCI-E and molexes for adapters, if dealing with, say, GTX 460) on one rail and the limit is 25A.

OCZ Fatal1ty 750W - Nuff said

Who does it right? Antec IMO did it best with HCP-850.
    A LOT more than just Antec "does it best". I'm going with Wolf and saying that MOST PSU's with multiple +12V rails are "done right".

Andyson's have their OCP's set to 32A, 36A, etc. Enhance and Topower built units have as many as six +12V rails, etc. And of course, pretty much ANY modern day Antec and not just the HCP-850.

Citing three examples, one with an OC'd graphics card on a PSU that has barely enough power to support an enthusiast's PC, does not make the exception the rule.

Having worked tech support and seeing floppy power connectors put on SoundBlaster's backwards or seeing fan power connectors pinched in side panels, all causing fires that result in piles of insulation goo at the bottom of the chassis, so often whilst dealing with LCD customers gives me little tolerance for bogus single +12V rail marketing fluff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

And the HCP-1200 has great 12V regulation and Gold certificate. When I mentioned lower power I meant something like SuperFlower's 550W Platinum, which has pretty good regulation (not the best, but respectable nonetheless). So far, the overall champ, counting regulation and ripple suppression, with the efficiency thrown in the mix, and one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, would be XFX's own 750W Black Edition. IMHO, of course...
    Last edited by McSteel; 02-03-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: reconsidered...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going with Wolf and saying that MOST PSU's with multiple +12V rails are "done right".
    Which was not my point, rather it was "you don't have to go out of your way to find a poorly designed multi-rail PSU, even one recommended left and right on somewhat less PSU-savvy forums". And if anything, it's those PSUs that give any merit for a single-rail marketing.

Citing three examples, one with an OC'd graphics card on a PSU that has barely enough power to support an enthusiast's PC, does not make the exception the rule
    Had they raised the limit for rails to 20 or 22A on that Delta built Chieftec, it would probably work. So of course it does, it's just that you take it personally.

PS. I have a be-quiet L7 530W. Cables aren't sleeved and all that secures them @the housing is a cable tie. It's still not secure enough and I see some marks on the insulation. THIS is when I would be worried about OCP. I'm gonna inform them about that.