Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: silenx psu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default silenx psu

Trying to get some old P4 computers going cheap, located a couple silenx 450 psu.
    They have the 3.3 and 5 volt amps needed. Anyway anyone know any better alternatives?
    I believe Silenx got good reviews once upon a time, they were certainly originally high priced enough. Modular yet.
    Though claims of stiff cables.
    Last edited by walterm; 02-02-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: spell /grammar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt silenx ever got good reviews. That was always an extremely suspicious company with a lot of fake specs. In fact they still have tons of fake dba specs on their website right now. Almost anything from a quality brand such as corsair, antec, seasonic, enermax, etc would be better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do I have to worry about enough power on 3.3 and 5 volt. Would Antec Smart power be better? The great capacitor worry comes to mind. SL and SL 350
    Thermaltake 430 maybe..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The P4 generation marks the transition to ATX 2.0, with more reliance on 12V and less on 3.3 and 5V.

Exceptions abound, we would really need to know the specs of your systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Specifically the motherboard, as that's what will really tell the difference between ATX and ATX12V.
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think at this point it's "Cleopatra, Queen of de nile"

If you are trying to get those old computers back to life, go find your nearest computer recycling place and give them a call. Find the right place and you can get a hell of a deal on outdated Delta, Sparklepower, and NMB ATX power supplies by the dozen, which if you keep an eye on the models will give you your best bang for your buck without giving you a subpar power supply. Quite a few places would rather sell a power supply for $5-$10 a pop than the $.25 they might make on scrapping it, so several places keep a small stock just for that purpose. Back when I was into folding@home this is the solution I used when my (Brand name redacted) power supplies started failing at the same time due to faulty capacitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two Compacs both 775 P4 one 540 SL6J the other I'm replacing a 2.2 I think with a 641 3.2 915 chipsets . An HP with a board using 133 ram (scrap), picked up a Fijitsu-Simons 865 with intent to replace (new, cheap)in case and a used Intel 915 chip (used cheap) more comfortable with 915 and can't find I/O sheild for Fijitsu board , an HP that needs a power supply too, a P4 478 board with a 2.2 or there abouts, was gifted a 3.0 for the cost of a couple beers. Two more computers promised. Hopefully newer.
    Want to use an XFX Radeon HD 4650 1GB AGP IN A COMPAQ SR1230NX Athlon XP 3200+, A 400 watt psu is reccommended.
    The sensible thing seems to be pick some used Antec BP500U Basics, they have the 180 watts on the 3.3 and 5 volt, which may be required, and would be useful for newer builds.
    But after a lucky bidding streak bargains eluding me.
    Antec SL-350 I don't know whether to trust. Notorious caps.
    Low bid on pair of SilenX iXTREMA 450's?!!? waiting is
    The SL-350's are new, came with new two new in the box Antec white/biege SLK-1650 Cases.
    Considering Thermaltake TR2 430's but supposedly Kingwin 450's better built. Epower 550 not too bad in review but no reviews on 450 similar model which are avilable cheap and new.
    $22 bid in Seasonic SS-600 reviews five years old/
    I know its silly to jump in like this but I needed an open end indoor hobby and this works.
    Would like to see all working lol la silly man.
    Anyway looking for knowledge confidence and adventure.. sorta
    Distrust the 2 Rosewills RV (used).99 bids and shipping costs, 2 HEC's new (very light units 485 and 585) newegg sales [ooo those customer reviews] , BFG GS450 new(bestbuy clearance outlet) misremembered LS and used Antec True 430 (too used maybe) umm total (low bid) cost about $90 all told.
    The old computers cost more then they are worth free, I know, but I don't have to worry about ruining them. Right??/ Hope this makes some sense.
    I do know a lot more about motherboards processors heatsinks cases video cards memory, cables HDD and optical drives and cabes. AND POWER SUPPLIES. for new builds LIKE antec BASIQ 550 (2 new), 2 Earthwatts 500D, used Earthwatts 650, Zalman ZM369-APS refurbished. OCZ StealthXstream refurbished, Zalman ZM500-RS. Basiq 350 one new one used. lol and SilenX Ixtrema pro 650 (Tiger clearance new)
    And if you think you are confused!
    Saved money for a motorcycle restoration and I can't so started to build a new computer and was offered old crocks. I have those and most of the parts for five new builds. Crazy..
    Last edited by walterm; 02-03-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: can't stop explaining ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haven't we already been over your PSU inventory and given you input on what is good and what isn't?

since there's no worry in destroying some of these old systems you have, just use what you have and stop bidding for shit on ebay and then coming by and asking if the shit you just bought is any good.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    I have two Compacs .... Crazy..
    A great wall of words
    My eyes glaze over and tear
    Good advice ignored

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The Japanese have haiku; we have HangFire's cyniku.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.