Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So-called Japanese PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So-called Japanese PSU

Hi all gurus,

Have you guys heard/tried this so-called Japanese PSU: KRPW-V2-600W, (supposedly) OEM by Enhance.

Some of its are unofficially entering my country market with very good price compared to quality product from Seasonic and the like (almost 50% difference).

I do wonder about its true quality though. Thus, I'm here to ask for some info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

It is indeed Enhance Electronics' design, the ATX-0260(GA). The company that sells it is a daughter company of CFD Sales, Inc. It's called Kuroutoshikou. They also have some ATNG-based (modified) and an ATNG-made (the same as Rosewill Green 630W) units as well. This particular Enhance design is also used in it's original form in Sharkoon's Rush Power C 600W and Scythe Gouriki3 600W. Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews for those units... Perhaps someone on the forums has had any experience with one of those. The SilverStone Strider Plus 600W (SST-ST60F-P) uses the same design, only differing by having a modular interface PCB... Should perform much the same, as I can't see how it being part-modular would make a significant difference in terms of performance. ITOCP review here (google translate chinese -> english).
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    It is indeed Enhance Electronics' design, the ATX-0260(GA). The company that sells it is a daughter company of CFD Sales, Inc. It's called Kuroutoshikou. They also have some ATNG-based (modified) and an ATNG-made (the same as Rosewill Green 630W) units as well. This particular Enhance design is also used in it's original form in Sharkoon's Rush Power C 600W and Scythe Gouriki3 600W. Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews for those units... Perhaps someone on the forums has had any experience with one of those. The SilverStone Strider Plus 600W (SST-ST60F-P) uses the same design, only differing by having a modular interface PCB... Should perform much the same, as I can't see how it being part-modular would make a significant difference in terms of performance. ITOCP review here (google translate chinese -> english).

I picked up a SST-ST60F-P in late 2005, and these stick in my head as the modular interface PCB and/or cables were what let the whole thing down, as even bumping my computer would cause it to shut down... or in some cases would just cause my hard drive to loose power.. Thinking it was a fluke I exchanged it for a replacement unit (from the same store, probably was in the same lot) which did the exact same thing. Sorry I cannot advise further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

The PSU in question (KRPW-V2-600W) has fixed cables, so any issues with modular cabling of the Strider Plus are, obviously, a non-issue here...
    Still, I haven't heard about such problems with Striders before, so thanks for the info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was early in the run (2005), but for what I paid at the time ($185) everything should have been top notch and taken care of.
    It seemed to run 'stable' when I didn't breathe on it and there were no earthquakes in Japan...

My personal (most likely incorrect) theory is that I live in Arizona and they sat in an un-air conditioned truck and allowed to bake causing the plastic in the modular connectors to soften just enough to make connections flaky..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, guys.

However, even if it is Enhance OEM, do you think if it can be of good quality or on par with "quality mainstream" series like Seasonic S12II?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

That depends on the definition... If you really need 600W of power, it may be a good idea to try not to save money on the PSU. If you're on a tight budget, this unit should be sufficiently capable, if a Seasonic S12II-620 costs twice as much, then it just might be worth taking this here Enhance, since I honestly cannot say that the Seasonic is twice better...

It would really help with weighing the choices if you actually gave us your system specs and a link to your retailer(s) of choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cprossu View Post
    I picked up a SST-ST60F-P in late 2005, and these stick in my head as the modular interface PCB and/or cables were what let the whole thing down, as even bumping my computer would cause it to shut down... or in some cases would just cause my hard drive to loose power.. Thinking it was a fluke I exchanged it for a replacement unit (from the same store, probably was in the same lot) which did the exact same thing. Sorry I cannot advise further.
    Strider Plus units were not out at that time, you're probably thinking of the original Strider 600w (SST-ST60F)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strider Plus units were not out at that time, you're probably thinking of the original Strider 600w (SST-ST60F)
    I took a look, and you are absolutely 100% correct, it was not a -P .. the correct Newegg item number would be N82E16817163109 for the unit I had.

The rest of the model # stuck in my head at least!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The original Strider 600w is actually a better unit because it's just as efficient but has a higher 12v capacity.
    Strider Plus 600w is overrated by around 50w are so since only 500w of it's 600w capacity is made up from it's 12v rail.