Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical lines on my Dell monitor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Vertical lines on my Dell monitor

I bought my (lovely) Dell 2408WFP 24" monitor in November 2008 as a refurb as it was about £50 or so cheaper than a new one, the only drawback to that was that there was only a 6 month warranty..............so I crossed my fingers and prayed to the montior Gods that it would outlive its warranty.

It has, but when switched on from cold I get 3 vertical lines down the R/H side of the screen about 2" in........sort of 1 x turquoise and 2 x red.
    They disappear after about 10-15 minutes or so once the screen has warmed up.
    Is this a sign that the monitor is getting sick, and should I worry about its imminent demise, or should I expect a few more years service ?
    It is just a small niggle.........but it worries me as it won't be cheap to replace.
    Yes I do have my Samsung T220 22" but it is not a patch on the Dell.

Many thanks.
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Coloured lines on a CRT usually means that the guns are out of alignment, usually after moving the monitor and bumping it or so. This can be fixed if you know what you are doing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Except that the 2408WFP is a fine wide-gamut S-PVA LCD monitor.
    Those lines are indeed a sign that something's wrong with the matrix's voltage regulation, but since they auto-repair after a while, you shouldn't have cause for major concern right now. What you should be looking at, is whether the geometry of the anomaly changes, meaning if the lines lengthen or shorten, or change color over time. If it's mostly a static glitch, it's most likely that a column control has gotten de-calibrated (is that even a word?), because much like every other electronic component, it's specs vary with temperature, and now it needs just a little more to be inside the operating range.

All in all, you can't really know for sure, but it doesn't really make a significant difference, does it? The monitor is out of warranty, and there's no cheap & easy way to repair it, so just enjoy it while it lasts. I don't think it'll just abruptly die on you one day, it's demise is much more probably going to be gradual and easily observed.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops, I guess I wasn't fully awake yet when I wrote that Lines with an LCD mean that there is an issue with the TFT matrix or related, i.e. in the part which drives the LCD screen's pixels. I haven't heard of this fixing itself. Either open it up to see whether something is physically damaged inside or just learn to live with it.

One time I worked on this laptop whose LCD screen would get the whole one-third of the screen turned into a coloured goo, then fix itself for a while only to go back to being messed up a while later. Maybe a loose wire somewhere. I couldn't find the cause, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not being always alert and properly awake first thing in the morning, it is only over the last few months that I have actually noticed it.
    It doesn't detract from my viewing pleasure and as I say, once the screen has warmed up then the lines disappear.....but I fear it takes a little longer each day............I shall have to take more notice of the time scale as a judge as to whether things are getting worse.

It's a sign something is wearing out, and I thank you all for your advice/help.
    I just hope it struggles on for quite some time, because to replace a similar size/type of screen today, is still a rather large wedge of cash....
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lots of monitors use low quality capacitors. the people at badcaps.net forums are good with helping people with their monitors. if you seriously are into fixing it, then visit.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hah...noticed today I have one green, one black and one red line....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default same thing!

I have a dell ultrasharp 24 from 2008 (i think) with the same problem. started with exactly one vertical line that would be dark then change colors over the course of a few (10?) minutes until finally the monitor was back to normal. this has spread steadily over the course of 2ish years to several lines in two different clusters, one towards the left and one about the same distance off center to the right. I called Dell multiple times for support while still in warranty and read them every single serial/model/whatever number on all the tags, their crappy call center could not recognize any of them even after escalating to a manager. Pretty sure the warranty is done now.

But, its not so bad, seems like even as it gets "worse" (more lines doing the color morph) I have no reason to believe it will stop fixing itself completely once its warmed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, more lines are appearing in from the right hand side of the screen. But, since they disappear once the screen has warmed up and working as it should, I won't worry too much.
    When the display is just black, then I will worry.......
    Just keeping alive an old thread....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would pop it open and take a look at the caps, as long as it's out of warranty. They sound like the culprit as when caps warm up, their ESR goes down. I.E. when they are cold their ESR is too high and causes the missing lines, then as they warm up they come back down to a lower (but probably still too high, just enough to not cause errors) ESR.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly