Thread: Processor Upgrade Input Needed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Processor Upgrade Input Needed

So right now I have an 6400+ X2 BE @3.2Ghz. Would it be worth upgrading to a Phenom II X4 820 @2.8Ghz? Newegg has an OEM for $100. Plus my M2N-E mobo supports it after a bios upgrade which would save me a lot of money. But would the performance increase be noticeable in my day to day tasks?

I use the following almost daily.

-Convertxtodvd
    -Adobe Photoshop CS5
    -WinRAR
    -And play various games, mainly Bad Company 2 and Valve games. Soon to be Two Worlds 2.

All of which I believe support multi threading. So would that processor make an impact or should I just hold off for now until I can afford to upgrade everything.

System Specs:
    8800 GTS 512mb (G92)
    AMD 6400+ X2 BE @3.2Ghz
    4x1gb DDR2 800 5-5-5-15
    Asus M2N-E Motherboard
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W (W0116RU)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, they would see a difference, it is a propus core, and multi locked... so it's not the best choice. But you're going to have troubles, you'll need to mess around with the BIOS according to Asus.
    The Propus core is a LOT faster than the old Athlon64, enough to cover the 400MHz stock speed drop, but you would be better off with a Deneb cored PhenomII. However, I'd suggest replacing that board with a better board, AMD 770/790/870/890 chipset.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, I guess I'll just wait for taxes. How are AMD's 6core's stacking up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a good chip, it's like a 6 core PhenomII. It's brilliant for multi-threaded apps, but Intel is still faster overall.
    Since you don't seem to be overclocking, I'd suggest you go for any fast PhenomII quad or hex on a new board, and don't worry about not getting a Black Edition. The 9xx deneb cored chips are the best quads and the Thubans 6 core chips are the same spec as the denebs so each core will be just as fast.

If you go grab yourself an AM2+ board, like the Gigabyte MA790x (ok, pretty heavy duty solution for your needs, but still...) you can keep your memory.
    OR: You could sell your board/memory and current chip and go for a whole platform update, good DDR3 is pretty cheap right now. Just make sure you get a board with plenty of power phases (4+1 phase is normal, and not enough for 6 cores). You want something that boasts of 6 or more power phases to run a 6 core well. Usually these are seen as overclocker's boards, but you really do need solid power circuits to run Thuban well, and it's recommended for the quad phenoms as well.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)