Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CX430 Review (With added gourmet cuisine discussion after page 5)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CX430 Review (With added gourmet cuisine discussion after page 5)

Congratulations, Jonny, on another great review. It is also good to know that Corsair is still holding up their reputation on the low end, despite all the rumors generated by not sending out review samples.

I have a few suggestions, the Page 1 chart doesn't say if the PCIe is 6 pin or 6+2, and on Page 2, am I supposed to know that Samxon and Capxom are the same company or something?

While jonnyguru reviews are near perfect, I still suggest adding OCP and OPP verification. Even though most units will pass, having had M/B's USB traces burned out by non-working OCP in the past, it would be nice to see it verified. It would also be cool to see a 90A OCP single rail fry a motherboard's USB... as long as it is not MY motherboard.

-HF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

review link

I'm pretty sure it is a single 6-pin PCIe.
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Judging from the picture that JG took, it's a 6+2pin PEG connector.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...0/DSC05562.JPG

As for the caps, I noticed that too. Samxon and CapXon are not the same company.

I think that's a typo that JG made. It looks like that the green cap near the +12V/+5V output filtering coil is also from Samxon.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...0/DSC05613.JPG
    Last edited by duckula; 01-03-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Police arrest two kids. One was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Samxon and CapXon are not the same companies. That was a typo. Both are Chinese and I don't really hold one in much higher regard as the other. That's been fixed.

The PCIe is a 6+2-pin... which makes no sense to me when you have a PSU with a single PCIe connector. Where would you use only an 8-pin PCIe and no 6-pin PCIe? That's been added.

The review was sort of rushed. I did the testing before the holiday, but then my wife and daughter had the two weeks off, we traveled and I got rather de-railed. Hope the results are satisfactory none the less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The PCIe is a 6+2-pin... which makes no sense to me when you have a PSU with a single PCIe connector. Where would you use only an 8-pin PCIe and no 6-pin PCIe? That's been added.
    There's nothing stopping a GPU manufacturer from releasing a card with a single 8-pin PCIe connector. We put it there since it's compatible with all current single connector cards, and all future single connector cards (until they require direct soldering or something).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More is better when it comes to connectors, so I see no problem there.

Redbeard, while you are putting the "Jonnyguru.com recommended" on newegg.com, any chance of correcting the Features section fan double ball bearing/sleeve fan mistake?

"An ultra-quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature."

Jonny, reading the newegg reviews, 2 (may be 1 person) stated CMOS save problems with this P/S. While it may be unrelated, I was wondering if this is even possible- say, the P/S presents a current draw in powered-off state, draining the CMOS battery power?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HangFire View Post
    While it may be unrelated, I was wondering if this is even possible- say, the P/S presents a current draw in powered-off state, draining the CMOS battery power?
    Not possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HangFire View Post
    More is better when it comes to connectors, so I see no problem there.

Redbeard, while you are putting the "Jonnyguru.com recommended" on newegg.com, any chance of correcting the Features section fan double ball bearing/sleeve fan mistake?

"An ultra-quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature."

Jonny, reading the newegg reviews, 2 (may be 1 person) stated CMOS save problems with this P/S. While it may be unrelated, I was wondering if this is even possible- say, the P/S presents a current draw in powered-off state, draining the CMOS battery power?
    newegg reviews are notorious for containing bad information, they should never be used as a reference when researching any potential purchase.

I forget which PSU it was, but some chucklehead claimed that after rubbing the PSU on the carpet (yeah, he said that), he got a static charge/shock that fried the PSU and, I think, his computer. Guy claimed to have high level of technical knowledge.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    ... I forget which PSU it was, but some chucklehead claimed that after rubbing the PSU on the carpet (yeah, he said that), he got a static charge/shock that fried the PSU and, I think, his computer. Guy claimed to have high level of technical knowledge.
    That was some serious rubbin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I do believe that guy does a lot of rubbing and static discharging... Maybe he discharged into the PSU and killed it?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.