Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's the difference really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So what's the difference really?

I'll start off by saying that the last dedicated GPU I owned was a 3dfx Voodoo II with a whopping 16Mb memory. Then there was an nVidia FX something, but that one was in my wife's PC when we met... after that I've had only laptops.

Now I am building a budget rig and eventually I will be getting a dedicated GPU as well. Question I would like to ask is what's really the difference between the countless Radeon HD models? My budget for a GPU is <$200, preferably closer to the $150 mark. So in this range it seems I get to choose between 5570, 5670, 5750 and 5770.

When I line them all up and compare the base characteristics they look almost identical to me. All sport 1Gb GDDR5, 128bit, roughly the same speeds, etc. To my eye even the difference between 5570 and 5770 isn't that big.

So the question is, which one of them has the best value/performance ratio? I'm personally really inclined to grab on of them passive cooling units by Sapphire or Gigabyte. I should have good enough air-flow to get the hot air out.

As always, any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Closer to $150?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121390
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500173

These cards trounce all mentioned Radeons.

Anyway, what PSU?
    Last edited by rafal_iB_PL; 12-11-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Closer to $150?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121390
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500173

These cards trounce all mentioned Radeons.

Anyway, what PSU?
    Bear with me as I'm as noob with GPUs as I am with PSUs

Cheapest GTX460 I can find here is $180 one by Innovision. The Asus one you suggested is $215. While the first one theoretically is within my budget, I would really, really prefer something less expensive.

Then there's another question. Does it matter at all, if I get an ATi or nVidia for an AMD board? It's mATX, so no CrossFire anyway, but aside from that, is AMD/AMD combo any better than AMD/nVidia?

Third question is the Hybrid CrossFireX that the Giagbyte board offers. Considering that the GTX is OCed by default, what are the chances that a 5750 or a 5770 with a slight OC + the IGP with a slight OC is Hybrid CrossFireX would deliver same performance?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    PSU will be a Chieftec BPS-550C from their Nitro series. You wouldn't believe just how hard it is to find a decent PSU over here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kind of applications/games do you run? That's the most important factor in deciding which GPU to get

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and at what resolution?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
    What kind of applications/games do you run? That's the most important factor in deciding which GPU to get
    Well, as of now, the most demanding games I've played is EVE Online and League of Legends...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by v1ks_ View Post
    Bear with me as I'm as noob with GPUs as I am with PSUs

Cheapest GTX460 I can find here is $180 one by Innovision. The Asus one you suggested is $215. While the first one theoretically is within my budget, I would really, really prefer something less expensive.

Then there's another question. Does it matter at all, if I get an ATi or nVidia for an AMD board? It's mATX, so no CrossFire anyway, but aside from that, is AMD/AMD combo any better than AMD/nVidia?

Third question is the Hybrid CrossFireX that the Giagbyte board offers. Considering that the GTX is OCed by default, what are the chances that a 5750 or a 5770 with a slight OC + the IGP with a slight OC is Hybrid CrossFireX would deliver same performance?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    PSU will be a Chieftec BPS-550C from their Nitro series. You wouldn't believe just how hard it is to find a decent PSU over here
    A couple of key points here:

- Hybrid CF only works with Radeons HD 4330, 4350, 5450. The gains are 20-60%, depending on the application. Total capabilities of such a system approach the performance of a HD 5550, which, in real world, equals playing games from 2007 and earlier in 1280 x 960 or 1366 x 768...

- The GPU on the GTX 460 with 768 MB of RAM differs from the one on the GTX 460 1 GB, and there is a noticeable difference in performance, in favor of the 1 GB model. The GTX 460 1 GB is closer in performance to a Radeon HD 5850, while the 768 MB model is closer to the 5770, both are in between the Radeons...

- There is no proof that AMD/AMD works better than AMD/nVidia or Intel/nVidia or Intel/AMD. I personally believe it's akin to a placebo effect.
    What's more important is matching the board manufacturers, as there were proven good and proven bad combos in the past, not sure about recent history... I clearly remember that having an ASUS MB and an ASUS VGA was a guaranteed BSOD if you use any of the advanced power saving options, i.e. an ASUS P43 board and an ASUS Radeon HD 3xxx...
    Gigabyte MB + Gigabyte VGA = successful (co-)operation almost guaranteed, for example.

If you're not sure what you want to do with your graphics card, and you just want the best that money can get, simply buy everything else first, then buy the best VGA for the money that you're left with. Priority, based on performance and current power/cost ratios would go GTX 460 > GTS 260 216sp > HD 5770 > HD 4870 > HD 4850 > GTX 450 > HD 5750 > HD 4770 > GTS 250 > HD 5670, assuming you don't care about DX11
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    A couple of key points here:

- Hybrid CF only works with Radeons HD 4330, 4350, 5450. The gains are 20-60%, depending on the application. Total capabilities of such a system approach the performance of a HD 5550, which, in real world, equals playing games from 2007 and earlier in 1280 x 960 or 1366 x 768...

- The GPU on the GTX 460 with 768 MB of RAM differs from the one on the GTX 460 1 GB, and there is a noticeable difference in performance, in favor of the 1 GB model. The GTX 460 1 GB is closer in performance to a Radeon HD 5850, while the 768 MB model is closer to the 5770, both are in between the Radeons...

- There is no proof that AMD/AMD works better than AMD/nVidia or Intel/nVidia or Intel/AMD. I personally believe it's akin to a placebo effect.
    What's more important is matching the board manufacturers, as there were proven good and proven bad combos in the past, not sure about recent history... I clearly remember that having an ASUS MB and an ASUS VGA was a guaranteed BSOD if you use any of the advanced power saving options, i.e. an ASUS P43 board and an ASUS Radeon HD 3xxx...
    Gigabyte MB + Gigabyte VGA = successful (co-)operation almost guaranteed, for example.

If you're not sure what you want to do with your graphics card, and you just want the best that money can get, simply buy everything else first, then buy the best VGA for the money that you're left with. Priority, based on performance and current power/cost ratios would go GTX 460 > GTS 260 216sp > HD 5770 > HD 4870 > HD 4850 > GTX 450 > HD 5750 > HD 4770 > GTS 250 > HD 5670, assuming you don't care about DX11
    Thank you for answering, everyone. Special thanks goes to McSteel for taking his time and always giving very detailed, yet understandable answers.
    Now that I have some food for my brain, I'll chew on it for a while and read what I can find on these cards...

I swear, getting a GPU back in the days was much more easier...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, it wasn't easier back then

In fact, it's easier now. ATi cards: Higher number almost always means better.

The best power/performance card currently out there is still the Nvidia GTX460. Get the 1GB version if possible, but the 768mb version (or the replacement low end 460 coming soon) will do you a fine job.

Ignore the hybrid x-fire or hybrid SLi options, you're just teaming one low end chip with another, it's pointless.
    For single GPU setups, you can run any card on an AMD chipset with zero trouble. I run a GTX460 on my AM770 board. You only run into trouble making SLI work on AMD boards (which you can't do anyway).

Recommended cards (in order)
    GTX460 (1GB), ATi 6870, GTX460 (768mb), ATi 5770.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allikat View Post
    No, it wasn't easier back then

In fact, it's easier now. ATi cards: Higher number almost always means better.

The best power/performance card currently out there is still the Nvidia GTX460. Get the 1GB version if possible, but the 768mb version (or the replacement low end 460 coming soon) will do you a fine job.

Ignore the hybrid x-fire or hybrid SLi options, you're just teaming one low end chip with another, it's pointless.
    For single GPU setups, you can run any card on an AMD chipset with zero trouble. I run a GTX460 on my AM770 board. You only run into trouble making SLI work on AMD boards (which you can't do anyway).

Recommended cards (in order)
    GTX460 (1GB), ATi 6870, GTX460 (768mb), ATi 5770.
    Sure it was easier... you either got a Voodoo II or the Riva TnT which had twice the memory but failed to outperform the 16Mb Voodoo

What about the HD6850. As far as I understand it's considered the red-haired stepchild of the family and gets mixed reviews?
    There was a source where they OCed a Gigabyte 6850 (not even an ultra durable one) and outperformed both GTX460 and a stock 6870 and 5850 as well. They also claimed that that card is by far the best bang for the buck on the market at the moment.
    Now purely theoretically speaking (since I'm still very, very unsure if I want to dish out the money for such expensive cards) wouldn't a factory OCed Ultra Durable HD6870 be much better than a GTX460 (UD, OCed)?

Anyway, just reading and thinking really... pretty much either of those GPU cost about 1/2 of my entire system, heh.

Ah, yes, the 6850 also has lower power requirements, which would mean I could get a less powerful PSU... I've pretty much made up my mind on those. Looks like I'll get a 500W ModXStream. While not great, I suppose it will be better than a Nitro series non-modular Chieftec's and it's cheaper than the Nitro modular Chieftec's. Not much else I can get I'm afraid.