Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power supplies degrade in power output over time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power supplies degrade in power output over time?

Hey y'all

I honestly can't figure where or how I heard that PSUs will degrade in power output over time. It was a quite a long time ago aparently. So I'm trying to find some proof or reasoning behind this as it has come up in a few discussions/threads over in HardForum in the past few weeks. My google-fu is a bit weak at the moment so I'm hoping someone can provide me key search words or even full on links showing how or why PSUs will degrade in power output over time.

So does anyone have any links or articles showing how or why PSUs will have a degraded power output over time? The closest I found so far was this thread made a few weeks back but wasn't entirely what I was looking for:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=68491

Thank you.
    (Gaming Rig) - Intel E6400 OC'd @ 3.2Ghz || AC7Pro HSF || GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 1.0 || 4 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800 Ram || Maxtor 320GB HDD|| 3 x Seagate 1TB HDD || NEC ND3550A DVD-RW || nVidia 8800GT 512MB PCI-E || Corsair 520HX 520W PSU || Antec P180 || Win XP Pro
    (Server) - Intel Pentium III 866Mhz || 512MB PC133 RAM || 1 x Western Digital 40GB HDD || 2 x Seagate 120GB HDD || Maxtor 320GB & 500GB HDD || Earthwatts 380W PSU || Ubuntu Server Edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its more of a "theoretical" thing and not as severe as many people make it out to be. Take a 10-12 year old delta, seasonic, or other quality brand and I can guarantee you it will still do what it says it will. May have *slightly* worse voltage regulation, and ripple may be worse depending on quality of capacitors used.

The three things I would worry about the most are the capacitors used (brand, series,) fan, and soldering (may get cold joints, highly unlikely especially with good quality brands. Even low quality units hardly suffer from this)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

imo if its a cheapo fan that gives out, even if the psu has overtemp protection, but the pc its in turned for maybe 20mins a day at low load, that will kill it eventually because the psu will be getting hot but not hot enough to shut off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    imo if its a cheapo fan that gives out, even if the psu has overtemp protection, but the pc its in turned for maybe 20mins a day at low load, that will kill it eventually because the psu will be getting hot but not hot enough to shut off
    I can say with near 100% certainty that people on this forum do not fall into that category. Perhaps the older, less tech savvy generation of folks out there may run their computer for 20 minutes a day to check their email and weather then turn the computer off. But, even if the PSU did eventually die one day, they would just make someone like me fix it or find them a new machine.
    PSU: Rosewill FORTRESS-650 || Mobo: MSI Z97M-G43
    CPU: Intel i7-4770K || Corsair H60 (New Version)
    RAM: 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws 2133MHz @11-11-11-30-2T || SSD: Intel 530 240GB
    HDDs: 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB Hitachi || GPU: AMD Radeon HD7870 @ 1150/1400

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 370forlife View Post
    Its more of a "theoretical" thing and not as severe as many people make it out to be.
    Makes a great catch phrase though
    "Because of capacitor aging you'll need a power supply with 20-30% more power"
    Can't count how many time's I've seen that kind of post ( elsewhere of course )
    Saw one where the poster was claiming that a psu would lose 10-20% of it's capacity a year, asked him how could my 9 year old 200 watt Dell psu continue to power the system it was in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have a Chieftec HPC 360-202 DF (on the shelf), which has a theoretical maximum of 17A on the 12A rails, and it could no longer power the system which consisted of a 3870 (110W TDP), a heavily undervolted q6600 g0 (~40-45W, 1.0V), 4 dimms, 3 HDDs, one soundcard and some low amper fans. in theory, it could not draw over 170W on the 12V rail (and maybe 200W combined), but it was rather unstable.

On the other hand, it is 5-6 years old, and for the first 4 years it powered an oc'd d805 and later a oc'd q6600 b3 24/7.

Ok, it's only an old Sirtec, but it can definitively not deliver it's rated wattage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by proci View Post
    Well, I have a Chieftec HPC 360-202 DF (on the shelf), which has a theoretical maximum of 17A on the 12A rails, and it could no longer power the system which consisted of a 3870 (110W TDP), a heavily undervolted q6600 g0 (~40-45W, 1.0V), 4 dimms, 3 HDDs, one soundcard and some low amper fans. in theory, it could not draw over 170W on the 12V rail (and maybe 200W combined), but it was rather unstable.

On the other hand, it is 5-6 years old, and for the first 4 years it powered an oc'd d805 and later a oc'd q6600 b3 24/7.

Ok, it's only an old Sirtec, but it can definitively not deliver it's rated wattage.
    Maybe that's exactly because it's minor rails oriented. So Pentium D and OCd Q6600 were pushing it to hell and beyond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well it was a mediocre old-design psu not intended for that use. so that is not a reasonable argument

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rubycon has some rule of thumb equations for their products, and you can probably apply them to stuff from anyone else who doesn't lie on their data sheets.

My take on it is that even if you understand the exact circumstances in which a capacitor is employed, predicting how it will age is still a little voodoo science because its composition is a trade secret. Anyone claiming to have a universal rule of thumb for how this is going to go down in any power supply is a certified witch doctor.