Thread: Bsod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bsod

P4 3.2ghz, 512mb ddr2, 40gb seagate ide, enermax 300w (old and noisy), nvidia quadro agp, xp home sp1

This piece of shit just died. I was in the middle of typing in the xp activation code (i called) when the screen goes blank, theres a "click" and then i get a bsod. "page file error in non paged area" or something. Tomorrow, im gonna do a drive test, (i bet the seagate pos died)...
    Wierd thing is that now it wont t get past th bios splsh screen(a p4ht logo). It just shows thwt. And does nothing else. And i cant boot from the hdd test cd if it wont get past bios! Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Repair procedure no.3: Strip it down to motherboard, memory, cpu, gpu (onboard if possible), reset the CMOS, then try it. If it works, then the fault is in one of the parts you just disconnected, if not, then you have a failure somewhere in those 4 basic parts (or the PSU).
    If the PSU is out of warranty, then disconnect it from the AC power with something running to help drain it, and pop the lid off carefully and look for old caps with any signs of bulges or leakage. Don't poke around inside, because there WILL be dangerous voltages still inside.
    If the PSU looks ok, then you really need a working machine to trial the ddr2, p4 and GPU to make sure they're ok. Motherboards are usually the first thing to die.

Edit: Procedure number 1 is hit it, number 2 is check the cables are plugged in. Just to let you know
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a few responses to what you were saying:
    motherboard: brand new out of box, but its been sitting around work for who-knows how long. its a dfi, but i dislike it because before i stuck it in the case i saw it has ost caps (bleh)..
    psu: i checked this psu thoroughly maybe 6months ago-and since its powered like 3 computers, an athlon xp for a few days, a dual p3 for a while, and now this p4. i dont trust it because its an older design with like no 12v amperage. and it still has a -5v rail...
    hdd: i think this is the culprit. i stuck it in the pc because i dont trust it. and this pc will be nothing but a f@h 24/7 pc...

otherwise, this computer was built maybe a week ago, and had ubuntu on it. then i decided to switch to xp, bcause it was too hard to set up folding on the linux crap...

other problems i had with this previously:
    i stuck in an 80gb hdd originally (even before linux went on it), which went up in smoke the second i turned it on.
    so i stuck in this 40gb hdd, which seemed ok, the only wierd things with it was that i wouldnt shut down-it would just hang at the "ubuntu..." shutting down screen...id have to press the power button to shut it down...

does all this info change your ideas of the matter?