Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate these mobo makers....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had good luck with Aopen, Asus, and Gigabyte. I had some stupid issue with my Abit board that I can't remember now, but it was pretty much a fatal flaw. You'd think I'd remember something like that... Anyway it turned me off that company.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Abit: I'd give them an 8.5. They aren't exactly perfect, they're very good though. My AN8-32X was very fast, not too expensive, lots of bios option, but the bios was very confusing, there was a single rulycon capacitor (knock off rubycon), and uguru... yea.

Asus: 8. You pay a premium for an asus, their support sucks, and their boards always work.

DFI: 0. Not so much for the actual board, which would have scored about a 7.75, but for dfi street. Fuck you, communist_games.

Asrock: 10. I have only seen one other manufacture use the ULi chipsets, and nowhere near as efficiently as Asrock. I know of two 939 motherboards which support both agp and pci-e, but both of those use via chipsets, do not have the am2 add in board, aren't anywhere near as cheap, and just.. suck. The only issues are related to windows x64 drivers, and linux drivers. Aside from that, I highly recommend them.

MSI: 7. Their new boards are cheap and fast and reliable, but after the experience with the K8T Master (dual opteron, normal atx board), I'll pass on them.

ECS: 0. ECS stands for Extremely Crappy Systems. And they know that, too.

PC Chips (before they were bought out by ECS): 6. I had one. Better than some other boards I've owned, lacking in the OC department, but for the $10 I got paid for the board, it was awesome. Yes, I got paid to build a computer.

IWill: 9. These boards are fast, expensive, offer tons of options, and killer overclocking. The only problem is the lack of distribution.

Gigabyte: 8. The backplate on their K8 boards is enough to discourage me from buying one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Abit- 7
    I've had a few of their boards. I RMA a KR7A-Raid and they sent me one some Rubycon caps on it (all around the cpu socket) which it didn't have before I sent it in. The last one I had was the IC7 max 3. Don't know about now, but they did me well back then.

Asus - 3 (they'd get a 8.5 if they actually had an RMA process)
    I've only owned one board, A8N32-SLI. I didn't like it because it had a couple OC crippling bugs that never got fixed. I accidentally killed it by burning out a fan header and is now being RMA'ed to the store I ordered it from. Their support and RMA process sucks complete ass.

Dfi - 7
    I've owned NF3, Ultra-D, AMD480x, NF590. I just bought the last two. They do have a good RMA process.

MSI - 6
    Only owned one and it was before the bad caps era, no longer in use. I don't really like their board designs so I stay away from them. My friend had a neo4 platinum, it was ok.

Gigabyte - 5.5
    The one board I owned had good features, but the bios sucked.

Epox - 5
    One board from the bad caps era, all of the non Sanyo caps got fat, but it did last like 4-5 years though. It was ok, seemed like an Abit copycat though. Not very popular lately.

Biostar - I'd probably get a Tforce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It makes me giggle to see Asrock and ASUS rated separately when ASUS owns Asrock. What really makes me laugh is that ECS is building boards for Abit and ASUS and so many people are of the opinion that ECS can't build anything.

Back in '03 when I was doing the tech support thing we built PCs using MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS and ECS boards and the highest rate of returns was MSI followed by ASUS and Gigabyte (roughly neck in neck) and with ECS bringing up the rear. Funny thing is we'd easily see 3 MSI boards in for RMA to 1 ECS board and we sold 6 times as many ECS boards as all other three put together.

Would I own an ECS board? No, they have no enthusiast options but I'd recommend them to my simple PC user friends that only want a stable PC to do office apps and surfing the 'net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    It makes me giggle to see Asrock and ASUS rated separately when ASUS owns Asrock. What really makes me laugh is that ECS is building boards for Abit and ASUS and so many people are of the opinion that ECS can't build anything.
    While you are correct they pretty much own Asrock, the R&D teams and plants are different - which can indeed mean reduced quality. A little birdy tells me Asus has a decent-sized stake in ECS/PCChips as well.

Back in '03 when I was doing the tech support thing we built PCs using MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS and ECS boards and the highest rate of returns was MSI followed by ASUS and Gigabyte (roughly neck in neck) and with ECS bringing up the rear. Funny thing is we'd easily see 3 MSI boards in for RMA to 1 ECS board and we sold 6 times as many ECS boards as all other three put together.
    My experience has been the opposite (been in computer hardware distribution for many years, wholesale and high-volume retail), but something to remember - Many people that buy the cheaper components tend to be less tech savvy - and that also drives up RMA returns, legitimate or not.

My favorite mobo manufacturer is Intel. Sinmple, rock solid, and somewhat reasonably priced. With the new D975XBX2, Intel has truly entered the OC market - but their follow thru and commitment to entusiasts remains to be seen. Intel's R&D is very thourough.

For AMD processors, Asus/MSI/Gigabyte are pretty much equivalent, with the exception that I think Asus tries much to hard to be first to market, and ships with very immature BIOSes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's difficult to rate a MB maker, as each iteration(as in the bridges and bios) is/are different.

That said, I rate Gigabyte the highest. And you can't knock Intel. They are usually have very mature Bioses when shipped.

I'm using a DFI Pro875 myself, although it is fine now, it was a bear to get stable.

I havn't used a late model Abit(or abit...) but the older ones were a bucket of ass. Saw many dead ones.

Wanted to like Asus, but I've never seen one without some problem or another. Too early to market without proper testing. Also lousy support.

I've always had warm and fuzzy feelings with MSI. Not the fastest, but they seem to always work.

ECS has the least tweaking options, but if you want an inexpensive, stock speed board, I would rate it *very* highly.

Those are what I have personal experience with, in no particular order. _ReeL
    *Disclaimer: - I may be wrong, but I'm not unsure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    Hmm, I've always wondered, I thought ECS built the pcb with a few minotr components on it for Abit, then abit's [s]sweatshop[/s] factory puts the rest in, along with their stuff.. Asus, I thought they were oem'd by Foxconn, for some reason. Never thought it would be ECS.

ECS-branded ECS boards are reletivly stable (the one I had), but the overclocking options just lacked. I wouldn't buy one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq View Post
    Asus, I thought they were oem'd by Foxconn, for some reason. .
    Ohhh no.. Asus & Foxconn are bitter rivals. Foxconn was sniffing around Gigabyte before Asus bought 49%.

It's a battle of market percentage.

I predict Foxconn wil buy MSI. Mark my words.

Foxconn does manufacture a good percentage (If not all) of Intel motherboards though.

Remember when some batches of Intel motherboards were made in Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, as bitter as Foxconn vs ECS?

Which brings me to a question: Does DFI make DFI, or does someone else make DFI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq View Post
    Hmm, as bitter as Foxconn vs ECS?

Which brings me to a question: Does DFI make DFI, or does someone else make DFI?
    I'm not aware of a "battle" between ECS and Foxconn, I think they are on entirely two different levels. Foxconn is a HUGE contract manufacturer (Ipod, etc), and personally don't think they see ECS as a viable competitor.

I am pretty sure DFI makes DFI, although they are leaning more towprds their very profitable industrial motherboard line.
    http://acp.dfi.com.tw/index_acp_us_noflash.jsp

I don't foresee them being in the enthusiast/end user/standard PC market for much longer.