Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corsair AX850 Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post

I think "lab quality" should be used to describe Yokogawa ones, though I'm quite satisfied with Weibo now.
    and Voltech ones Does anyone have a link to this Weibo power meter. How much does it cost? Accuracy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of the ripple on the AX850, the scope shots look extremely flat (except -of course- for the +5VSB), but how about posting some actual numbers so we can see how the AX850 ripple compares to other units, or how it compares to other AX850 units?

Nice review . . . nice PSU . . . too bad it's so freakin' expensive!!! But you do get what you pay for.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    In my opinion, Corsair chose Flextronics for its new 1200W PSU because the 1200W "gold" unit from Seasonic was not ready. I understand that Corsair never considered the possibility of going to Flextronics for the rest of the AX line.

On the other hand, working with only one habitual OEM is extremely dangerous. Having two or three reliable suppliers it's highly recommended in all business. If Flextronic pass the test of the AX1200, it's possible that Corsair knock again at the Flextronics' door.
    We chose Flextronics for the 1200 for a few reasons. We actually kicked off the 1200 project well over a year ago - but with all the high quality 650-850 units on the market, it wouldn't make sense to have a Gold/Silver 750/850 and a Silver/Bronze 1200 with worse voltage regulation, ripple, etc. So we shopped around at various suppliers, and got some off-the-shelf stuff to modify, but it turned out there wasn't very much in the way of quality product that would be available in our timeline and price bracket.

The AX750 and AX850 were not based on the Flextronics platform because it's a tremendously expensive platform and you just can't get that much price out of it to make a reasonably priced 750 and 850. Also, the timeline of Flextronics making another platform for our 750/850 units was longer than Seasonic/CWT/Other Vendors and when we tested Seasonic's sample, we knew we could have a winner with just a few months of modifications and tweaks.

So rather than delay the 750/850 units for 6 months and end up with a platform we'd still have to tweak, we took Seasonic's products (which, by the way, are amazingly good products) and made a few tweaks. Not sure on the +5Vsb ripple - I haven't seen that in the lab - but I've sent the review to our PSU engineers who'll no doubt have a look and tell me what I'm seeing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    and Voltech ones Does anyone have a link to this Weibo power meter. How much does it cost? Accuracy?
    http://www.hzweibo.com/en_productsshow.asp?lb=30

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Seasonic did it right before releasing it, Andyson didn't.
    So you don't think the Andyson MT8/BFG ES-800 was a good power supply?

http://hardocp.com/article/2008/02/2..._power_supply/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Speaking of the ripple on the AX850, the scope shots look extremely flat (except -of course- for the +5VSB), but how about posting some actual numbers so we can see how the AX850 ripple compares to other units, or how it compares to other AX850 units?

Nice review . . . nice PSU . . . too bad it's so freakin' expensive!!! But you do get what you pay for.....
    They're flat because... well.... that's how well the ripple is suppressed. All of the oscope screen shots are done with the same time div/v div. If I change it to make the waveform look bigger, you're going to have nimrods that skim reviews say "OMG! Look at the ripple on that unit!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Get this: When we first launched the ES-800 and they were only available on the BFG Store, one of the first customers to put in an order was Seasonic. I knew what was up, but it wouldn't be right to cancel their order.
    I hope you put something funny in the box for them

Btw, the relay for the thermistor, very clever, was this Corsairs design or part of original Seasonic?
    I don't remember seeing it in the Seasonic X series reviews...

Also, if you get the funds for it do buy a DSLR and Tripod, so you can get better nekkid pixx for us
    Sony DSC-T50 "mumbles something uncomprehensible"
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    They're flat because... well.... that's how well the ripple is suppressed. All of the oscope screen shots are done with the same time div/v div. If I change it to make the waveform look bigger, you're going to have nimrods that skim reviews say "OMG! Look at the ripple on that unit!"
    The problem of even a great review is that no matter what information you provide or how you provide it; there's always going to be an error in translation. Even if your reviewers speak the same tongue as you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
    I hope you put something funny in the box for them

Btw, the relay for the thermistor, very clever, was this Corsairs design or part of original Seasonic?
    I don't remember seeing it in the Seasonic X series reviews...
    The X-Series has the same relay in the same place.