Thread: first thread....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default first thread....

New here, hello,

Psu's seem like a minefield, I was just wondering to start off if someone would be kind enough to give a quick list of the oem's, and perhaps rate/rank them, along with makers that use them?

hope that's ok to ask for.

I am thinking of a new psu and could use some advice, too.

I currently have an enermax noisetaker 600ish watter, how is that thought of?

some I am considering

I can get an ocz 850 for a good price,
    the bfg 1000 watter
    FSP 1000? watter
    seasonic s600
    and perhaps a cheapo atrix 720w( I believe they are colorsit, and I have a 550watter that works ok, not tested in anger)

comments?

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From jonny a list of OEM's and again from jonny some recommendations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, no sooner, thanks for that, and to jonny!!, I didn't realise there were that many, but I did know millions were coming from china.

have seen the recommendations, very well written and interesting....

no magna tho?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now to what kind PC you're intending to buy that new PSU?
    (one size doesn't fit for all)

Quote Originally Posted by burebista View Post
    From jonny a list of OEM's and again from jonny some recommendations.
    I think it would be approriate to make also "Avoid like plague/Don't say we didn't warn" -list.
    Last edited by EsaT; 12-23-2006 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one to add to the list, ez-cool are tagan/topower.

the bfg 1000 watter I was talking of looks rather like the ocz power stream I had, which is known to be topower. Its nice when it all comes together!!

magna is probably an avoid like the plague, trying to find out who they are tho....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magna-Psu-Mode...QQcmdZViewItem

as is q-tec.

I think I will wait to afford an etasis, but pointers welcome, can get for around $260 ( I am in uk, £130 here) seems strangely cheap, it usually works the other way around here.
    Last edited by ianm2; 12-23-2006 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    magna is probably an avoid like the plague, trying to find out who they are tho....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magna-Psu-Mode...QQcmdZViewItem
    At that price you can be sure that it's lowest quality design made by lowest quality manufacturer from components which failed lowest quality standards. (or if components didn't fail entirely they're barely enough for PSU with one third of advertised rating)

And you got that one right about Q-tec.

After this I don't have much trust to BFG:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=21

You still didn't tell what components you have in PC. Most gaming PCs peak under 300W so there's no point in going for 1kW PSU unless components really demand well over 500W because those near 1kW PSUs tend to be quite inefficient under load of normal PCs. (except during peak consumption)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

link doesn't work...correction, does now....

BFG at least give a lifetime warranttee.

got an asus nf4 sli and a foxconn nf4 sli, with a rather lowly graphics, but was thinking of going more serious. you can't have enuff power.

some bad reports about enermax blowing up, thermaltake 680watters blew up a lot, that's why there are a lot of refurbs around, the more you learn, the less you trust anyone!!

I suppose one bit of advice may be to trust those more that make their own psu's, rather than get them made, eg seasonic v ocz, having said that, my old powerstream 600 was lovely build and cables, the cables on my enermax aren't anywhere near that.

hows this for ridiculous, my icute case came with a icute psu, whose leads weren't even long enough for the case they were supposed to be for.

I know the colorsit is probably rubbish, but I have never had a problem yet.

I also tend to avoid those that change all the time, eg, the hiper, nice as they seem, but you don't know if you are getting the latest one, and then they change it.

There is around a 5x mark up for electronics, so if your psu costs say $200, its costing around $40 at the most to make, so the el cheapos at say $40 only cost $5 or so, and all that is probably conservative, that's why most are pretty poor.
    Last edited by ianm2; 12-23-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For possible budget you mentioned in earlier post something like Seasonic M12 700W should be safe choise unless you're heavily into overclocking everything.
    No PSU will be really quiet under high loads but under normal/desktop loads it should be very close to fanless PSUs and Seasonics have long held top positions of SilentPCReview's recommendation lists so you can be sure they're some of the most quietest. And it should run well any dual graphic card configuration which can be thought: I don't see way how consumption of GPUs could rise anymore much, while bigger heat amount could be cooled with other methods than air there's problem of conducting heat away from die... I don't see them starting to make dies/heatspreaders from diamond in near future.
    I would just recommend keeping case cooling better than in hot box test.

the more you learn, the less you trust anyone!!
    There are two kind devices, ones which have broken up... and ones which haven't yet done that.
    Yeah, I'm cynic... and chronical one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts

There is around a 5x mark up for electronics, so if your psu costs say $200, its costing around $40 at the most to make, so the el cheapos at say $40 only cost $5 or so, and all that is probably conservative, that's why most are pretty poor.
    No.

Maybe there's 5x markup on electronics going from the manufacturer of the electronic to retail price on a shelf at the electronics store, but that's not the case with a computer power supply.

PSU manufactuers get tremendous bulk discounts on components. Even then, they're paying the component manufacturer with profit. Labor is cheap, but still not cheap enough to make 5x profit.

I'd have to say, not including packaging, shipping, customs, warehousing, trucking, you're looking at a 50% margin on a power supply, TOPS, from factory to end user. From the disty, it's probably more realistically 25%.