Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballpark for a startup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    Can someone please explain to me the following: The SM-8800 v. 2.01 has the SM-220 included in its price? And with this its max is 2520W or with the SM-220 goes to 3520W?
    Jon will have to answer that one - as far as I'm aware he's the only one with the full deal. I've played with his setup - it is niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

The Stingray I use is due to be retired. Trying something different as soon as that different something arrives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

to tell you the truth Ι am also thinking in the near future to retire my Stingray, for a Rigol 1052E.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm I guess I forgot to include the cost of the PC I use connected to the oscilloscope and the T-Balancer I use to monitor temps and control the fans in both the hotbox and resistor banks and sometimes I connect an RS-232 interfaced multimeter to it too and then also I didn't include the cost of the PSU I use to power the fans and the T-balancer which at the moment is an indy regulated Antec NeoHE380 that I think I paid $30 for on sale....PC and NeoHE not included that is...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think an Athlon XP at 3200+ speeds could handle the monitoring software? Or would I have to shell out for a dual core?
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah that won't be an issue...anything with a USB port will have enough throughput there to handle a USB scope

EDIT: USB 2.0 that is...sometimes I assume too quickly...anyway I don't think you'll find any CPU requirements for USB scope software...just OS and USB version
    Last edited by Makalu; 05-31-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

The U.S. distributor for SunMoon is MarusonUSA. Last I was in contact with them, the guy to talk to was allenliu@marusonusa.com.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking about tests one might run to stand out. What do you think of;

1.) Surge simulation test. Somehow (???) simulate a surge on the AC line, and see if the PSU shuts down, filters the surge, or shits itself. I'd be worried about potential harm to the equipment though.

2.) Dirty power test. Somehow (again ???) simulate a dirty AC line, with lots of noise and voltage varying between 100VAC and 125VAC.

3.) Cold box test. If a PSU fails the hot box and/or room temperature tests, see if the manufacturers tested it in an ice box, or if they were just lying through their teeth, but seeing if it can deliver more power at 10*C. I'd scavenge a few refrigerators, and run the pumps in a cycle (only one on at a time, switching every few minutes).

4.) Rapid load change test. Run the PSU at 20% load, then quickly ramp it up to 80% load, to simulate going from desktop usage to full on CPU+GPU+HDD stress test, then drop back to 20%, and watch the scope to look for irregularities.

Do any of those sound interesting and/or possible?
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
    2.) Dirty power test. Somehow (again ???) simulate a dirty AC line, with lots of noise and voltage varying between 100VAC and 125VAC.
    I love dropout/holdup tests. This is one thing a 4- or more channel scope is really useful for, even if it's slow. Kill the power and see how long power stays valid and whether the power_ok line goes low at the right time.

One important reason is that a UPS takes a finite time to switch in.

As for dirty power... one thing I have is a cheap isolation transformer, and it includes 2 3-way switches that control transformer taps and can adjust the output between that range or maybe a little more. I'm sure with some ungentle use of the switches some pretty noisy changeovers could be managed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A surge test would be very expensive (not to mention dangerous)...they make surge generators that the safety regulation labs have and some companies have them too to test their products. Here's a used one on e-bay for just 44 grand lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

you can rent them too for like 500-1000 a week but I don't think this is something you just plug into a wall outlet lol You'd also want to be able to measure the shape of the spike (or I would) which I think would require another big chunk of money for an oscilloscope/probe combination that could handle those high voltages.

A "rapid load test" is something I've messed around trying to do on the cheap and do it according to the output transient response section in the ATX guide. It's defined according to percentage of rated power which isn't hard to hit a PSU with those load amounts or more but getting a fast enough load to meet the 1.0 A/μs slew rate part of the spec I finally gave up and decided I need some non-inductive wire wounds for that and not willing to spend the money although it's not exorbitant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What gave me the idea for a rapid load test was this test of the Dynex 400W over at [H]:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/...power_supply/3
    (scroll down)

I think having that as a part of the main testing procedure could be useful. I mean, a PSU might be able to keep its voltage rock solid while at a steady load, but throw it a few curveballs and rapid changes and it might fall to pieces. How quickly can an SM-268 change its load anyway?

Also, YOUCH on the surge simulator price. I don't think we'll be doing that one...
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!