Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another suspect power supply review from Anandtech, Seasonic X-750....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Another suspect power supply review from Anandtech, Seasonic X-750....

AT has just released their test on the new Seasonic X-750 power supply.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3655/s...c-xseries-750w

Curiously, during full load, the 5V rail's voltage regulation was, according to their results, way out at 5%.

And, again, AT uses those stupid graphs instead of charts, no ripple/noise representation, etc., etc.

Why does AT continue to produce such drivel? AT seems quite competent with motherboard, video card, cpu testing, but it seems every power supply review ends up with very different results when compared to reviews here, at HardOCP and Hardware Secrets.

Maybe it's time AT just quit "testing" power supplies and leave it to those who can.
    A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'
    - Stephen Wright

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
    - Brooks Atkinson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Partly it is their test setup with the extra board in the way, and also they loaded the 5v rail to 100% of its capacity ( I think anyway...can't really tell with the charts they use) which if true is way outside what units would ever experience (and something the rest of us don't do because it is almost impossible to achieve in a real system). Since the X-750 uses DC-DC VRM's the regulation is a bit looser than on other designs and Seasonic is working on it.

As for the rest of the issues......well.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you notice the number of times that he went out of his way to disparage the Seasonic in comparison to the Enermax?
    AT has a history of "looking" for results that support a preconceived conclusion.

Several sites have concluded that his consistent lack of objective reviews amount to paid advertisements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i actually enjoyed the write up....very close to itocp's
    the graphs changed...almost like itocp's

i just realized that x-series is weak on the 5/3.3v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always hated the graphs....nearly impossible to determine what the values are for them....

Christoph always seemed like a complete PC P&C homer to me...
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I've never been 100% sure how they load the units but I think they use the 80+ formula. Not gonna bother with checking but IIRC their methodology implies that they load in accordance with the ATX spec and since that spec tops out at 450W cross-load info I assume they mean where the spec defers to 80+ for efficiency measurements.

But since they've never actually tested a unit in accordance with their own methodology it's hard to say for sure what they do.

And the graphs suck period IMO...they don't even know how to make an accurate graphical representation. The lines are equally spaced but the voltages represented are all over the place on each one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
    well I've never been 100% sure how they load the units but I think they use the 80+ formula. Not gonna bother with checking but IIRC their methodology implies that they load in accordance with the ATX spec and since that spec tops out at 450W cross-load info I assume they mean where the spec defers to 80+ for efficiency measurements.

But since they've never actually tested a unit in accordance with their own methodology it's hard to say for sure what they do.

And the graphs suck period IMO...they don't even know how to make an accurate graphical representation. The lines are equally spaced but the voltages represented are all over the place on each one.
    The only reason I can think of for using graphs instead of actual numbers, is because they think the average non-enthusiast will be intimidated by a wall of numbers. I like the "pass/fail" metric at hardware secrets even less.
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah I'd like to see numbers for volts, amps and watts too but they may be right about the average reader wanting a simplified version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

As you may have seen, this review was done by 'Martin Kaffei', not Christoph (who works at Antec at the moment).

Martin uses those graphs for quite a while...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
    I've always hated the graphs....nearly impossible to determine what the values are for them....
    I like the idea of the graphs, which show both value and ripple (thickness of line) at the same time, but also emphasize that the last decimal point just isn't all that important, but..

How the #@$@ am I supposed to read a graph that doesn't even have a linear Y axis? If you look, the equal-with divisions are -5%, -3%, -1%, 0%, +1%, +3% and +5%. How is the shape supposed to tell me anything if the central 2% is magnified? And then they draw visually straight lines on that, which is particularly pointless. Actually linearly interpolating would result in a bent line where the vertical scale changed.

It makes it look like the 3.3V rail drops off significantly between 10% and 20% load, and like the 12V rail changes slope at 50%... which are all artifacts of a singularly stupid graph scale.

The graphs should also make it much clearer what's measured and what's interpolated. As it is, you have to look for bends in the lines.

It's fortunately not germane to that review, but another frequent abuse of graphics is scaling each graph in an article separately, so you can't compare them visually. Look! We show ripple 'scope plots for 10 PSUs, and every single one of them is 300 pixels peak-to-peak! All that bandwidth and you have to squint at the V/div number on the side (which is part of the PNG, not plain text) to actually learn anything about how they compare!