Thread: D-link Switch PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default D-link Switch PSU

hello all, i got a question regarding the power supply unit inside a D-link network switch.
    the switch model is DGS-1016D. the power supply in this switch has died and im trying to sort out a replacement but i dont know what the output voltage of the psu is.

when i try to put the power cable in there is a high pitch whine from the psu and the power light is rapidly flickering. now i removed the psu from inside the switch and hooked up a radio controlled cars battery to it and the switch works properly. now the RC cars battery is a 9.6v variety. going by the network switches i have had before they seem to vary from either 5v to 12v external power bricks. and seeing as how the 9.6v battery works id say im fairly close to switches actual working voltage requirements.

so now that i know that the switch is working fine and its just the power supply thats gone faulty, is there a way to find out what the output voltage was of the psu? i have attached a picture of it below:

on the back of the switch below the kettle power cord socket the sticker says this:
    ---------------
    AC LINE
    100-240 VAC
    50-60HZ
    1.0A MAX
    ---------------

im guessing from the voltage range given this psu has active power factor correction. (im using it in the uk here with 240v mains.)
    any help on this would be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just thought i would add some more info, i got a figure for the max power consumption for this switch from the dlink pdf document:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/product_datash..._dgs-1024d.pdf

at the bottom of the doc it lists this for power consumption:
    DGS-1016D: 27.5 watts (max.)

so i guess i could work out the current requirement for this switch once i figure out what its correct working voltage would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must just replace this capacitor in order to get PSU working again. Its typical problem by tl494 and co.

I am searching now for photo of main pcb, perhaps could you help me with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hello, thanks for the reply, which photo do you need? do you want me to take a photo of the underside of the psu or a photo of the actual switch side pcb inside the dlink?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The second one, the photo of the actual switch side pcb, if possible,please.Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hello, ok i worked it out today with a bit of testing out on the stock psu, its output is 12 volts so looks like thats sorted out now. the switch is specced to consume a max of 27.5 watts so at 12v i need a psu that can handle around 2.3 amps current draw.
    could probably use this as a replacement: http://www.sourcingmap.com/mini-size...l?currency=GBP
    Last edited by slybunda; 03-20-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here are the pics your requested:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got a spare working switch today, and checked its output voltage, the voltage delivered to the mainboard is 12v (well 11.98v according to multi meter)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Only 27.5W?

I'd just buy a netbook adapter and call it a day then. There are universal adapters with multiple tips, likely one that will also work with your switch, that put out 60W that cost only around $20 USD.