Thread: Testing for reviews...Voltage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Testing for reviews...Voltage

I've searched, I've googled and I can't find the answer to this so I'm asking for a special.....

I am not asking for a change to the whole review process but one time could you guys do a piece showing the effect of powering the PSU from 240v compared to 120v

I Live in UK where, like Europe in general, 230v is standard and I gather that America has high power circuits approximating this level of voltage too.

I seem to recall seeing a review somewhere that intimated that when used with PSU's the higher input voltage was more efficient and, out here in the world of Folders and Crunchers, if this is so then a little alteration to the supply may be in order.

What do you think guys....is this a possibility?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nope - requires a fair bit of a financial investment that I'm not sure would pay off in the end.

Due to the way power supplies are designed, they will always be more efficient by a little bit at 230V. You don't need a review to tell you that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it was worth an ask....but I got the next best thing....

A definitive statement from a (the) master of PSU reviews.....Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Nope - requires a fair bit of a financial investment that I'm not sure would pay off in the end.
    It's not so much the 2 kW step-up transformer, but a 240 V power meter. While a 240 V kill-a-watt is cheap enough, it's this web site that documented that they don't produce reliable power figures for APFC power supplies.

And a good power meter costs several hundred dollars.

Due to the way power supplies are designed, they will always be more efficient by a little bit at 230V. You don't need a review to tell you that
    Generally about 1.5 to 2 percentage points more efficient across the range.

This did, however, make me think about 50/60 Hz issues, and one thing that could be added to the site with minimal additional equipment would be testing hold-up time. Interrupt the input, and look at the power-good line and the output voltages with a 'scope. Power-good should indicate a problem before the voltages go out of spec.

Very relevant to people who use a standby UPS with a finite switching time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If anything, I'd probably just get the 230V version of the Brand and wire a dedicated 230V circuit back to the breaker panel. That's still a substantial cost for me though these days. I'm having enough trouble lately just lining up review samples

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    If anything, I'd probably just get the 230V version of the Brand and wire a dedicated 230V circuit back to the breaker panel.
    D'oh! That makes me think... most power meters only measure current on one side. If you power it like this, you could have the PSU connected hot-to-hot but the power meter connected hot-to-neutral. There would be no neutral current, but the meter wouldn't care. Assuming symmetry of the hot voltages (which could itself be tested by moving the meter from one side to the other), that would produce accurate scaled power measurements.

That's still a substantial cost for me though these days. I'm having enough trouble lately just lining up review samples
    Eep! That's bad news... Is this just the regular "feast or famine" cycle (this summer you'll get 25 PSUs all from people who want to see reviews in the next month), or is it looking more systemic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's been slow for a while now. I have two on their way I think and one in the review pile. Until they start building up again, I'll probably be on a two week review cycle.

If I tried that setup, I would need an outlet that provided a neutral and two hot... that would cost even more money. Not sure it would be much cheaper than just buying a 230V Brand.