Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's at fault, Gigabyte or Corsair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who's at fault, Gigabyte or Corsair?

I just ran into a real puzzler of a problem that I accidentally figured out. My youngest brother's computer shut down on him and I found that the old OCZ Powerstream 600 in it had crapped out (swollen caps) and wouldn't power up. So I brought a Corsair VX450 with me to his house and figured that a simple psu swap would get his system back up and running. I swapped the psu's out and tried to fire it up and no post beep, so I ended up bringing it back to the house to look at. I finally got the system booting, but would have random reboots with no rhyme or reason to them. Everything checked out good when testing the components, so I did the usual troubleshooting steps and removed components, when I accidentally brushed the ATX cable and the damn computer rebooted. Sure enough, if I would wiggle the ATX connector the damn thing would reboot. So I ended up disconnecting the ATX connector and tightened up the connector pins inside the connector and the random reboots went away. Then I got to thinking about this and I had another Gigabyte board give me random reboot problems in my daughter's system with a VX550 in the past.

Anyways, after all this rambling around, my question is this: Does Gigabyte use smaller diameter pins in their ATX sockets than other mobo manufacturers or does Corsair have slightly oversized pins in their ATX connector? I haven't had a bit of problems with Corsair psu's and Asus or Foxconn boards for example, just with the Gigabyte boards. And these 2 boards were lower end Gigabyte boards; one is a 965P-DS3 and the other is a P35-DS3R.

BTW Yellowbeard, I'm not bitching at all about your Companies power supplies. I have 4 of them and all 4 have given me exemplary service. I'm more or less curious as to what happened here and also to let other people know to check the ATX connector if they are having random reboots with no hardware problems being evident.

Oh, and I had a blast dissecting that Powerstream with a big solder gun and solder sucker. That gave me quite a bit of practice on desoldering some big stuff off a pcb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The VX450 and VX550 are made by different manufacturers, so I doubt that the blame lies with Corsair here.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would say the fault likely lies with the bad capacitors - higher ripple means more current draw going through that connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I looked at the pins on the board's ATX connectors and they all looked OK on both boards I was having the problem with. The DS3-R never has had a crap psu hooked to it and the first 2 years of it's life it ran off the VX550. And that DS3-R always did seem a bit wonky in original setup with the VX550 and gave me problems with the ATX connector too. It finally had the bios die on it and I rebuilt that system with a Phenom 2 setup with an Asus board while I sent off the DS3-R for rma, which has never given me a second of trouble with that same VX550.

On a related note; I also built another machine for my brother for his kids around a year or so ago, which is using a Powerstream 520. But that one is a blue fan version, which I heard is supposed to be better than the green fan version like crapped out in his main system. Is that true or do I have to worry about it crapping out on him later too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The SLI version fixed a few issues the green version had, not the least of which was a big 5V crossloading stability issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyways, after all this rambling around, my question is this: Does Gigabyte use smaller diameter pins in their ATX sockets than other mobo manufacturers or does Corsair have slightly oversized pins in their ATX connector? I haven't had a bit of problems with Corsair psu's and Asus or Foxconn boards for example, just with the Gigabyte boards. And these 2 boards were lower end Gigabyte boards; one is a 965P-DS3 and the other is a P35-DS3R.
    I often lurk here but I wanted to add a secondary question to this. When the component is being used, doesn't the pin itself heat up and could this have some effect on the metal connections here? Do any of the components inside a PSU or the connecting cables expand or contract when in use or when powered off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gintok View Post
    I often lurk here but I wanted to add a secondary question to this. When the component is being used, doesn't the pin itself heat up and could this have some effect on the metal connections here? Do any of the components inside a PSU or the connecting cables expand or contract when in use or when powered off?
    We're not dealing with enough of a temperature difference here to cause any significant thermal expansion or contraction.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
    Does Gigabyte use smaller diameter pins in their ATX sockets than other mobo manufacturers or does Corsair have slightly oversized pins in their ATX connector?
    If you really wanted to know, you would look up the ATX specification and determine that the connector halves are a Molex 44206-0007 or equivalent (board) and a Molex 39-01-2240 or equivalent (PS). You would then look up their data sheets what the pins and sockets physical requirements are, and then do some measurements of said connectors.

If nothing else, you might be interested to know that that the board connector has a Durability rating (mating cycles max) of 30.
    Old System: Asus P5K Pro, Q9550 @ 3.6 Ghz
    4 Gig G.Skil F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
    LanKool K7 case
    SAPPHIRE HD 4670
    1TB Samsung Gig drive
    Rosewill Capstone-450-M R PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
    We're not dealing with enough of a temperature difference here to cause any significant thermal expansion or contraction.
    Ah I see, thanks for answering that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to give some input on the subject ...

I've had P35-DS3R and VX 550 for a couple of years ... absolutely no problems mentioned above.

Maybe you have worn off the connector with frequent re-installation (just a guess) ...