Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: apparently corsair is bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like my corsair TX750, It's quiet and works fine.
    System Specs
    PSU- Corsair TX750
    Case- Cooler Master Centurion 5
    CPU- AMD 5000+ X2 OC @ 3 ghz
    RAM- 2gb DDR-2 800 RAM
    HD- 500gb Seagate 7200.11
    GPU- Radeon 4870HD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what claims Corsair PSUs are "overrated" relative to. Obviously, they do not cause world peace or prevent child abuse in orphanages, so if you've heard any of those claims, I have to agree

What I like about Corsair is that, partly due to their recent entry into the business, they have never made a clunker. So I don't have to say "Antec but avoid the Basiq" or something like that. I can just say "buy Corsair" and not have to worry about the details.

You can argue about top-10 rankings, but Corsair PSUs are among the best PSUs sold today. They are solid, reliable, quiet both electrically and acoustically, and have good after-sales service. (At least in North America; it's possible the last point may be more problematic in Poland.)

In particular, it's hard to imagine a situation when I'd recommend replacing a Corsair PSU with a different brand. Maybe a weird build requiring an odd connector mix, or a case modder who wants a different color or fan position, but nothing obvious.

I can also imagine that they might be overpriced in Poland. On this side of the Atlantic, they're pretty aggressively priced, and a good deal when on sale. But perhaps they're not worth the money charged in Poland. There certainly are other equally-good PSUs, and I can see Corsair as not being worth the price.

But with those caveats, if I assume the conventional definition of "overrated" as in "supposed to be good, but actually not very impressive", I think whoever said that is full of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The Arctic Fusion could be an option if the fan isn't in the way and the cables long enogh.
    Coolermaster Silent Pro, 500W, Sharkoons Rush Power with 600W is a good buy, at least here in Germany, it's available for about 70€.
    Oh, and Tagan Superrock...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    I'd have to go with overrated on the corsair. Antec is a good alternative, and mushkin makes a couple decent modular ones
    Corsair is overrated...but Mushkin is good?
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    I'd have to go with overrated on the corsair. Antec is a good alternative, and mushkin makes a couple decent modular ones
    Mushkin doesn't make any PSUs. They rebrand a bunch of average Topower units.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corsair? Yeah, I mean, any company that displays consistency, has good service and reps that go the extra mile to help, really don't know what they're doing.

Too many people who've had -one- bad unit from a company are too quick to judge it. Ok, I'm not saying it's illegal to criticize Corsair. But there are sooo many other companies that don't even care what they sell their customers, as long as they just get it sold.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, not really.
    The efficiency of newer, lower wattage modells isn't that good, especially with low load.
    Therefore i wouln't buy one and instead go for an Arctic Fusion, Tagan Superrock or Coolermaster Silent Pro.

Even the Cougar Powers are an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am able to get the tagan and the CM for similar prices

Will 500 W be enough with these PSUs for my rig though? cause the corsair is 550.

So which one should I get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Well, not really.
    The efficiency of newer, lower wattage modells isn't that good, especially with low load.
    Therefore i wouln't buy one and instead go for an Arctic Fusion, Tagan Superrock or Coolermaster Silent Pro.

Even the Cougar Powers are an option.
    Are you kidding? The Artic Fusion uses the same platform as the VX450 and CX400 but it is overrated at 550W and has inferior secondary capacitors to the VX450....and ugly as sin
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    how low of a load? what typical efficiency are you talking about?